Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I really liked snake Jeckie. It was neat to have non-humanoid members, and her urbane sophisticated and friendly personality was a fun contrast to her appearance as a big snake.
    I can see where the idea sounds bad, but it's execution made it work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Just don't make Projectra a snake again. Ever.

And don't kill off any members - at least for a while. Waid killed off Dream Girl in the second story arc. And one of the writers killed Colossal Boy fairly quickly too. Stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I really liked snake Jeckie. It was neat to have non-humanoid members, and her urbane sophisticated and friendly personality was a fun contrast to her appearance as a big snake.
    For me the solution could be so simple as reinvent her as a new separated character. Let' said, for example, make migrate Sneckie from the 247 timeline to the main timeline. A parallel universe migrate. The other option would be make appear a new world where she is native.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Big L.E.G.I.O.N. fan here, but, for this to work, you'd have to find the perfect writer, capable of balancing big-screen action, top-notch characterization, political intrigue, etc..., and I can't think lof many that could do it nowadays. L.E.G.I.O.N. worked because they could find an equilibrium between Dox's ambition, the self-intrest of some of his people and the true blue heroism of others. That's hard to do. And the LSH is a completely different team.

Peace
    You are forgetting the total anarchism of Lobo. I liked that series.

But, right now the manichaeism in comics is such a charicature than grey characters are difficult to depict.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    For me the solution could be so simple as reinvent her as a new separated character. Let' said, for example, make migrate Sneckie from the 247 timeline to the main timeline. A parallel universe migrate. The other option would be make appear a new world where she is native.
    I agree. Jeckie could be fun...
    But Projectra has sooo much potential as a noble from a planet that is still in the Middle Ages. Not to mention her history with Karate Kid and then as Sensor Girl.
    She's probably one of the most developed characters the Legion has.
    Best to introduce Jeckie as a different character.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Un-reboot back to a version of the original Legion that fans want.
    Diversity can easily be added. Bring in a new version of XS and Kid Quantum, establish Vi and Ayla are a couple, Jan is gay and can be with Sean. Use the new Invisible Kid.
    The Bendis Legion needs to be thrown away and forgotten.
    I totally agree about using characters like XS, Kid Q, Invisible Kid II, Computo, Dragonmage, Tyroc, Dawnstar, etc... people interested in seeing diversity aren't going to care as much showing purple and green skins, though sure - make Jan green. But also bring back Tellus and Gates and Snake Projectra, but without her being Jeckie. Bring back the strength of the Levitz years and the relationships. Isn't that what Doomsday Clock emphasized? Just rebooting a character isn't what's needed - people miss the decades of history between the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Bring back the strength of the Levitz years and the relationships. Isn't that what Doomsday Clock emphasized? Just rebooting a character isn't what's needed - people miss the decades of history between the characters.
    Exactly. That why it was such a letdown when that other thing than Bendis came off appeared. And totally contradicts the message of DdC.

Ultimate Member

Some sort of weird frankenmashup could have been done where it's revealed that 'classic' Jeckie has always had serpentine features, and that when the Orandans first arrived on Orando, they thought the world was free to settle, but where unaware that it had a sapient race already, living underground, where they weren't easily noticed, and after generations of conflict, what later became the royal family of Orando, the house of Voxv, used a fusion of their own and the native folk's mysticism to blend their two peoples (and separate their interests, keeping surface Orando firmly away from the underground-dwelling serpent-people's territories). The fusion left the royal family with serpent-folk traits, and they use illusion magic to conceal their 'noble traits' from off-worlders who might be fearful and start some silly rumors that the snake people had secretly conquered them or some such.

Somewhere deep below the planet, is an entirely different kingdom of serpent folk, whose leaders still bear some human traits, as a result of this ancient bargain...

And so we get a different take on 'snake-Jectra', that manages to keep elements of both continuities and sort of fuse them.

The deeper history of the various worlds of the Legion timeline interest me a lot. The majority seem clearly to be humans, originally from Earth, who have colonized worlds like Winath, Titan, Braal, Imsk, Naltor, Cargg, Xanthu, Bismoll, etc. but then there are some that seem to be truly alien (Colu and Talok VIII) and some that *are* alien (Hyrkraius and Vyrga).

When did Orando get settled? One assumption is that they were settled spaceship sometimes between 2000 and 3000 AD, and then decided to abandon science and set up a planet-sized rennaisance faire full of medieval recreationists. But I hate that, and prefer the notion that they represent a magical kingdom somewhere in Europe that fled the 'death of magic' and used a massive ritual to relocate their entire kingdom to 'one of those twinkling lights in the sky' (and perhaps hastened the decline of magic on Earth, by using up so much of it to launch their entire population, and castle / capitol city, across the void of space!).

So yes, they'd be a 'colony' of Earth-folk settling an alien world, but like the Anasazi of Starhaven, a colony established long before mankind ever walked on the moon!
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-07-2021 at 08:20 PM.

They could also take a page from Blok's origin, and say that Jeckie's race was there all along, but hidden.
    That the people of Orando believed they were dragons and feared them.
    Then something catastrophic happened, and one of the dragons used magic to try to communicate to them by taking a half-dragon/half-human shape that looked more like a snake and absorbed some of Projectra's memories and powers in an attempt to merge their minds to communicate.

Astonishing Member

Jeckie has always been my favorite Legion member and I did not like the complete snake revamp stuff she got. Just wasn't anything close to being Jeckie.

Could've just had a snake character that...wasn't Jeckie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Could've just had a snake character that...wasn't Jeckie.
    Yes. They did that with Shikari. DnA essentially made her their Dawnstar espy, but never said, "This is Dawnstar now."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    My Legion will always be the original Legion. I also like the Legionnaires that came out of it. If the classic Legion is not coming back perhaps it is tie to relaunch L.E.G.I.O.N. instead. It seems to have worked for Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I'm an old timer, 65. I remember reading the Legion as a kid in the '60s. The stories about Lightning Lad's sacrifice and Proty's and Saturn Girl's sorrow, etc. But I read them pretty much regularly from the mid '70s on and into the immediate post COIE phase before I stopped.

Though I love the classic Legion, the mystery of Sensor Girl is one of my favorites of all.

I really thought it was Kara too at first, but the overall end/resolution is very memorable.

As some may know or tell, I have deep resonance to the earlier Super boy and Super girl archetypes.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm an old timer, 65. I remember reading the Legion as a kid in the '60s. The stories about Lightning Lad's sacrifice and Proty's and Saturn Girl's sorrow, etc. But I read them pretty much regularly from the mid '70s on and into the immediate post COIE phase before I stopped.

Though I love the classic Legion, the mystery of Sensor Girl is one of my favorites of all.

I really thought it was Kara too at first, but the overall end/resolution is very memorable.

As some may know or tell, I have deep resonance to the earlier Super boy and Super girl archetypes.
    IIRC, Levitz wanted it to be Kara, but Jenette Kahn nixed his plans because she didn't want to cheapen Supergirl's sacrifice.
    Ironically, it was cheapened anyway by having Byrne reboot Superman and erasing her existence altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    IIRC, Levitz wanted it to be Kara, but Jenette Kahn nixed his plans because she didn't want to cheapen Supergirl's sacrifice.
    Ironically, it was cheapened anyway by having Byrne reboot Superman and erasing her existence altogether.
    It was his backdoor to keep Kara and he hoped than his strategy would hadn't been noticed, but it was discovered. That is was also why at the begginig the powers of Sensor Girl were more ambiguous inclined to the supersenses aspect. The solution, however, it was pretty clever.

It was his backdoor to keep Kara and he hoped than his strategy would hadn't been noticed, but it was discovered. That is was also why at the begginig the powers of Sensor Girl were more ambiguous inclined to the supersenses aspect. The solution, however, it was pretty clever.
    Makes me wonder, though... If Kahn knew that Supergirl's sacrifice wouldn't matter anymore once Byrne revamped Superman, would she have let Levitz do it?
    Or would she still veto it to avoid stepping on Byrne's toes?

Granted, she could've let it through and have Levitz explain that Kara was really a construct or other race under the guise of 'Supergirl', with her continuing on as 'Sensor Girl'.
    Which would allow them to keep most of her history with the Legion and her relationship with Brainiac 5.

But then... this was Byrne, one of the powerhouse creators of the early '80s. Probably best to appease him to avoid having him just walk out after a few short months.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't have minded it -- if the snake was a character other than one we knew. Jeckie had such a star turn in the classic series after executing Nemesis Kid and later becoming Sensor Girl. I felt Sensor (Snake) was a disservice to that -- especially since Jeckie was virtually ignored during the 5YL run.