Page 208 of 211 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211 LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3162

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I wouldn't say "hate" but it's entirely possible the DC Comics side doesn't have much use for her and only puts in her books because there is a demand. Meanwhile, the Birds of Prey director is of Chinese origin and she may have gravitated towards Cassandra for obvious reasons.
    So Racism is the reason Cass is getting her big break ? That's sad and taints it. I thought Robbie picked because she liked the character and believed in her not the director picked her because Asian.

I hope you're wrong and I'm right.

My main concern's though are
    Harley is now the leader of the BOP
    Cass isn't Batgirl instead they are trying to get some of that X - 23 money
    Babsgirl has a movie coming up
    Oracle isn't a part of the BOP.

It all sounds like a Stink-bomb about to explode.

I think DC has use for all character who benefit their bottom line the most. I agree that there's no such thing as a company hating or' having it out' for certain characters. I hope this development puts paid to that ludicrous and frankly deranged way of thinking..
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-17-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure how accurate the scoop is, but having Shiva, Cass and Katana on the team seems a little redundant.

I heard about the Birds of Prey film. Congratulations Cass.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    So Racism is the reason Cass is getting her big break ? That's sad and taints it. I thought Robbie picked because she liked the character and believed in her not the director picked her because Asian.

I hope you're wrong and I'm right.

My main concern's though are
    Harley is now the leader of the BOP
    Cass isn't Batgirl instead they are trying to get some of that X - 23 money
    Babsgirl has a movie coming up
    Oracle isn't a part of the BOP.

It all sounds like a Stink-bomb about to explode.

I think DC has use for all character who benefit their bottom line the most. I agree that there's no such thing as a company hating or' having it out' for certain characters. I hope this development puts paid to that ludicrous and frankly deranged way of thinking..
    Where are you seeing that Harley's the leader? Or that Cass isn't Batgirl? I feel like there's WAY too many unexamined assumptions here without real source.

I will continue to be ludicrous and frankly deranged, then, because I think editorial definitely has made specific choices that harm several characters.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Where are you seeing that Harley's the leader? Or that Cass isn't Batgirl? I feel like there's WAY too many unexamined assumptions here without real source.

I will continue to be ludicrous and frankly deranged, then, because I think editorial definitely has made specific choices that harm several characters.

If you feel there are WAY too many assumptions here without real source then you should go ahead and not discuss the subject at all since all these unexamined assumptions come from the the same source telling us Cass is in a BOP movie with Harley.

Specific choices that harm some characters doesn't mean that they hate some characters. It simply means that some characters have been hurt by their choices.

If you feel there are WAY too many assumptions here without real source then you should go ahead and not discuss the subject at all since all these unexamined assumptions come from the the same source telling us Cass is in a BOP movie with Harley.

Specific choices that harm some characters doesn't mean that they hate some characters. It simply means that some characters have been hurt by their choices.
    I am asking BECAUSE I read the article. What quotes am I missing? When you said that, I went back and REREAD the article, and I don't see it. If you can show me what I'm missing (as I asked previously, and you ignored me), I'd be grateful.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

So Racism is the reason Cass is getting her big break ? That's sad and taints it.
    Underrepresented Chinese-American woman director picks an underrated and underutilized Chinese-American female character.

You: "THIS IS SO RACIST AND SAD!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Underrepresented Chinese-American woman director picks an underrated and underutilized Chinese-American female character.

You: "THIS IS SO RACIST AND SAD!!"
    I'm not English so my choice of words might be wrong. How do you say Affirmative Action? Where selection is based on quota not just merit. Like the Americans do to try to counter the effects of institutionalised Racism and decades of Slavery.

That's the right term yes? And it is sad.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-17-2018 at 10:03 AM.

I am asking BECAUSE I read the article. What quotes am I missing? When you said that, I went back and REREAD the article, and I don't see it. If you can show me what I'm missing (as I asked previously, and you ignored me), I'd be grateful.
    I don't know what article you are referring to I only saw the Grace's video [posted video] which is what you were replying to.

I don't know what article you are referring to I only saw the Grace's video [posted video] which is what you were replying to.
    Thanks for clarifying. (Also, for some reason, the first time I responded to your post, the video wasn't showing up in my browser, so I thought there wasn't anything to which you were referring. My apologies.) This is the article to which I was referring: https://www.middletownpress.com/ente...m-13079452.php

I like Grace, but she seems to be working from speculation. Additionally, given how many times the Batman and Batgirl films have been cancelled, uncancelled, rebooted, what have you, I'm deeply skeptical of any leaks, since those are just as likely to be part of cancelled versions.

Regarding the affirmative action point - I'm pretty opposed to affirmative action today (at least in education), since I think most students are able to compete and achieve proportionate to their population size. However, I don't think that's what's happening here. Helena Bertinelli is Italian. Black Canary is white. Renee Montoya is Dominican (I believe). Harley, of course, is white (Australian! haha, joking.) Featuring one Asian American character doesn't feel like affirmative action to me, given that cast. (You could make the argument that they're going for the implausibly one of every color casting that you see a lot in TV, instead of showing small populations of different groups that don't interact a ton, but that's just the culture of film and TV these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not sure how accurate the scoop is, but having Shiva, Cass and Katana on the team seems a little redundant.
    Apparently Shiva and Katana are out and Renee Montoya is in. So its Harley Quinn, Black Canary, Huntress, Renee Montoya and Cassandra Cain. Really big roles for actresses in Hollywood imo... Casting should be interesting
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Thanks for clarifying. (Also, for some reason, the first time I responded to your post, the video wasn't showing up in my browser, so I thought there wasn't anything to which you were referring. My apologies.) This is the article to which I was referring: https://www.middletownpress.com/ente...m-13079452.php

I like Grace, but she seems to be working from speculation. Additionally, given how many times the Batman and Batgirl films have been cancelled, uncancelled, rebooted, what have you, I'm deeply skeptical of any leaks, since those are just as likely to be part of cancelled versions.

Regarding the affirmative action point - I'm pretty opposed to affirmative action today (at least in education), since I think most students are able to compete and achieve proportionate to their population size. However, I don't think that's what's happening here. Helena Bertinelli is Italian. Black Canary is white. Renee Montoya is Dominican (I believe). Harley, of course, is white (Australian! haha, joking.) Featuring one Asian American character doesn't feel like affirmative action to me, given that cast. (You could make the argument that they're going for the implausibly one of every color casting that you see a lot in TV, instead of showing small populations of different groups that don't interact a ton, but that's just the culture of film and TV these days.)

I only saw the Grace video so thanks for the Link.

My reaction was based on the video which made the whole idea of the seem iffy.

I don't know much about the education system in the states but I do believe that the same blocks are still in place. Al the odds are still stacked against certain groups. Affirmative Action I feel is the bare minimum. A lot more is required to level things out and give everyone the same fight chance.

However Cass is a character that I feel should pass selection just based on her own merit. She is a good character.
    I said it's sad because if it's affirmative action then there's a real possibility that much effort won't go into getting to the true essence of the Cass character.

If she there because of her race rather than the merits of her character then lord knows how they will handle her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Apparently Shiva and Katana are out and Renee Montoya is in. So its Harley Quinn, Black Canary, Huntress, Renee Montoya and Cassandra Cain. Really big roles for actresses in Hollywood imo... Casting should be interesting
    Don't know, to me it comes a little bit like left out some of the bigger characters (Selina, Ivy, Barbara) so that Harley can be the be the biggest star of the movie.

I only saw the Grace video so thanks for the Link.

My reaction was based on the video which made the whole idea of the seem iffy.

I don't know much about the education system in the states but I do believe that the same blocks are still in place. Al the odds are still stacked against certain groups. Affirmative Action I feel is the bare minimum. A lot more is required to level things out and give everyone the same fight chance.

However Cass is a character that I feel should pass selection just based on her own merit. She is a good character.
    I said it's sad because if it's affirmative action then there's a real possibility that much effort won't go into getting to the true essence of the Cass character.

If she there because of her race rather than the merits of her character then lord knows how they will handle her.
    See, I don't think there's anything in the announcement that indicates Cass was chosen because of her race. I think you hit the nail in the head - Cass is a great character - she has a great place in the DC universe. And her backstory and general tone really fits a lot of the darkness of the DCEU so far, so I think it's kind of a great choice. (And honestly, despite my own preference for Steph, I think Cass fits the style of the DCEU Bat-universe best of the three, and given Joss Whedon's proclivities, I was surprised he didn't spring at her as his main character. But he's clearly making dumb choices recently with his films, so...)

Don't know, to me it comes a little bit like left out some of the bigger characters (Selina, Ivy, Barbara) so that Harley can be the be the biggest star of the movie.
    I'm still waiting to find out what her role is. Because the way they left her in Suicide Squad, fully on Joker's side, it would make more sense if she were either teaming up with the Birds on the Squad, or an antagonist who may have a change of heart.

So again, super not interested in a ton of speculation, and SUPER not interested in getting mad about it until it's actually confirmed.

I get Barbara, but why would Selina or Ivy be involved?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!