Page 533 of 719 FirstFirst ... 33433483523529530531532533534535536537543583633 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 7,995 of 10777

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_vegetarianism

According to this it says that in the Theravada. the Buddha allowed his monks to eat pork, chicken and fish if the monk was aware that the animal was not killed on their behalf.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...t-good-and-bad
    The Wikipedia article also says this:

The first precept in Buddhism is usually translated as "I undertake the precept to refrain from taking life".
    If Althena is a carnivore by nature such that it is ultimately necessary for her to eat meat - read: other sentient life - to survive, why would she or her ancestors ever get this idea in the first place?

If being a predator is part of her primal nature, why would Buddhism be the religious framework you're trying to work off of here?

In fact, I thought the Toadians were pacifists which is why Althena and Praxat's fighting style is based on counters. Then again, I recall Praxat had a fear of thunder despite her racial(?) affinity for electricity.

If these elements were retconned in, it's not a very smooth transition. It's ultimately inconsistent and a little confusing.

In simple terms Karma is the Law of Cause and Effect.

Althena doesn't kill for sport . She just eats meat for food as a survival factor. It's the same thing a lion, tiger or bear does. Althena can't survived on a plant base diet. She has to eat meat to stay healthy.

Praxat and Qaztoh can eat plants , because their digestive systems are different than Althena's digestive system.

Aoem is base on Buddhism , but it's not a complete carbon copy since it's views differ. and one of these views is on eating meat. In Aoem killing a animal for meat is not consider bad if it's for survival and instinctive. Killing a animal in Aoem is only consider bad if it's done out of malice. Eating meat in Aoem isn't consider bad, because when it was created Toadians had to eat meat to survive.

However modern Toadians don't have to eat meat to survive, they can solely survive on just eating plants, and the views of Aoem are adaptable . They can change with the times.
    Reducing the notion of 'Karma' to a matter of mere 'cause and effect' is a little dismissive because as a concept it cannot be taken in isolation from the other tenants of the religion - namely samsara, worldly suffering, and dharma, rites of proper behaviour. If that doesn't ultimately matter, I'm not sure what the point of bringing up a real-world belief system is Aoem is supposed to be its own seperate thing?

Consider that Althena went hunting on an alien planet (Earth) when she was living in a place with a fully stocked kitchen (the Lookout). She didn't need to do that to survive, so why did she go hunting?

Basically Althena killed those two wild animals out of instinct, But had no intention of killing them.
    This is a contradiction. If Althena is a sapient creature, and one that is lucid enough to consider her actions, she ought to be self-aware enough to control her urges to impulsively kill wildlife, especially if her philosophy is some variant of 'all life is sacred.' If this premise can be thrown out as soon as she gets hungry, it is not a strong backdrop to build a philosophy on.

...moreover, it is notable that all this is coming up just now. I don't know how much planning, if any, went behind this, but where Althena intersects with Praxat's story, the logic seems rather inconsistent. Like, this religion wasn't story element that was in play when the Toadians were first established, was it?

My point is, while this goes some way to fleshing out the Toadian belief system and cultural background, its emergence right now seems to contradict what has been established about them so far.
    Last edited by grampagen; 04-10-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    The Wikipedia article also says this:

If Althena is a carnivorous predator such that it is in her very nature to eat meat such that it is ultimately necessary for her to survive, why would she or her ancestors ever get this idea in the first place? If being a predator is part of her primal nature, why would Buddhism be the framework you're trying to work off if here?

In fact, I thought the Toadians were pacifists which is why Althena and Praxat's fighting style is based on counters. Then again, I recall Praxat had a fear of thunder despite her racial(?) affinity for electricity.

If these elements were retconned in, it's not a very smooth transition. It's ultimately inconsistent and a little confusing.

Consider that she went hunting on an alien planet (Earth) when she was living in a place with a fully stocked kitchen (the Lookout).

I'm thinking this religion wasn't an element in play when she first came up, was it?

This is a contradiction. If Althena is a sapient creature, and one that is lucid enough to consider her actions, she ought to be self-aware enough to control her urges to impulsively kill wildlife, especially if her philosophy is some variant of 'all life is sacred.' If this premise can be thrown out as soon as she gets hungry, it is not a strong backdrop to build a philosophy on.

...moreover, it is notable that all this is coming up just now. I don't know how much planning, if any, went behind this, but where Althena intersects with Praxat's story, the logic seems rather inconsistent.

My point is, while this goes some way to fleshing out the Toadian belief system and cultural background, its emergence right now seems to contradict what has been established about them so far.

1. You recall wrong Praxat has a fear of birds not electricity. She has been showing in the RP using electricty base techs multiple times.

2. Althena has mention in the RP that she uses two stances Vear stance and Adadmentizon stance . Vear stance is stance that allows quick switching between striking and grappling at close range, and Adadmentizon stance is stance purely design for parrying attacks and creating opportunities for counter attacks. these stances are actually mention in RP during the posts where Althena has a sparring match with Megan.

3. Aoem is its own separate thing, but only the fighting style , the principles , and the four poisons were previously established. However the whole killing animals for meat belief thing was something that wasn't previously established . As for Althena's reason for hunting she did it with the intention of gathering food for the Lookout, so that the meat could be share with others.

4 it's been established for a long time now that Althena is carnivore and that ancient Toadians were carnivores. In fact in previous RP posts Althena's mouth has been describe as being filled with rows of razor sharp teeth.

5 It's been established for a long time that Praxat's ancestor Vivian Luue is the one who created Aoem 500,000 years ago in a really old RP post.

6 Aome established as being abolished the fake guardian Zykona 1,000 years ago in a really old RP post

7 The Fighting style Aome has been describe as being design for the purpose of protecting ones self , protecting others and to better oneself in a really, old RP post

8 the Book of Aoem first appeared with Althena's introduction in the RP a long way back.

9 Althena has been established as have been frozen for 2,000 years in the RP, and that she is 2,020 years old chronologically.

10. it's been established for a long time that modern Toadians were absolute pacifists, because Zykona brainwashed them. Ancient Toadians like Althena were established as being semi-pacifists.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4025329

Note: the above link post was long before Praxat's and Althena's current power levels.

11 the current Aome belief system is base on selflessness. I used Buddhism as a framework ,because that was the only religion at them thought of that foucs on selflessness. The whole killing and eating meat thing is a pretty new addition to system which I been working on.

Principles of Aoem

1. To be generous and self-sacrificial

2. One must embrace moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of thought-through education and betterment.

3. One must uphold one's own convictions at all times.

4. One must show Humility thinking less about themselves and more about others .

5. One must be kind and show empathy towards others when necessary

6. One must always be calm even in the face of wickedness.

7 One must practice self control.

The Four Poisons of Aoem

1. Avarice : Greed is the path to corruption.

2. Vanity : Pride can be a terrible poison .

3. Wrath : Giving into one's anger can make one blind .

4 Envy: Jealously can turn into hatred.

note: Aoem is short for Mahtoesa Hetto no Hwe-Atkam . Basically Vivian Luue created the fighting style Aoem and it's original belief system 500,000 years ago give or take a few months and she was big on sharing. However the Oilvibar modified it into what it is currently by taking four different belief systems and combine them into one.

Althena's two fighting stances are mention in these posts

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4169119

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4171333

Praxat having a fear of birds is mention in this post.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4095357

Note : I read up on Hinduism which does not have any rigid rule about eating meat. In fact Hinduism has no strict rules to follow whatsoever.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 04-10-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Note : I read up on Hinduism which does not have any rigid rule about eating meat. In fact Hinduism has no strict rules to follow whatsoever.
    Just to say this ahead of time, but I'm not much of an expert when it comes to belief systems.

However...

Some aspects of Hinduism do appear to have an aversion to meat, namely beef, and while this varies, for some, it is a core tenet.

With that said, that's my two cents and while establishing a set of beliefs for a character race is fine, I really wouldn't focus too much on basing it on an actual one. Discussing religions alone is a bit of a gray area for CBR and I rather not have Guy or another mod come knocking on our door.

Never mind.

Instead, have a gif.

w1FnO.jpg
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 04-10-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Okay it's not working.

... smashing.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Aoem belief system redone

Principles of Aoem / ⏃⍜⟒⋔

1. To be generous and Selfless

2. one must refrain from being distracted and influenced by hostility, temptation or corruption.

3. One must be Steadfast at all times

4. One must always have a modest view of their own importance

5. One must be kind and show empathy towards others when necessary

6. One must always remain calm.

7 One must never eat more then their fair share , as one must always treated their body like it is a temple.

The Six poisons of Aoem / ⏃⍜⟒⋔

1. Avarice / ⏃⎐⏃⍀⟟☊⟒ : Greed is the path to corruption.

2. Vanity / ⎐⏃⋏⟟⏁⊬ : Pride can be a terrible poison .

3. Wrath / ⍙⍀⏃⏁⊑ : Giving into one's anger can make one blind .

4 Envy / ⟒⋏⎐⊬ : Jealously can turn into hatred.

5 Gluttony / ☌⌰⎍⏁⏁⍜⋏⊬ Gluttony is the path to unhealthiness

6 Lust / ⌰⎍⌇⏁ Lust is the second path to corruption

rule 1 . Killing is only allowed if it is the only option( derived from the Ancient Oilvibar Clan Belief system )

Rule 2. Killing animal is okay as long as it's the intention of sharing the meat with others ( Derived from ancient Luue Clan Belief system )

Rule 3 . Meat must be cleansed by before eating ( Derived from the Ancient Orpheus clan Belief system)

Rule 4 . The meat must be blessed by a milngo ( A fruit pun on apple ) or with Alhio a ( pun on salt) before eating.

Rule 5 One must pray to the Maangos before eating.

Rule 6 All life was born form Great Swamp, and All life returns to the Great Swamp ( Derived from the Mazkiya Clan ancient belief system )

Rule 7 One must always eat facing westward

note: rule 2 conflicts with rule 1. this is the result of the Oilvibar Clan cramming 4 different belief systems into one.

the ancient Toadian belief systems.

Orpheus clan ancient Belief system

1. Rule: Hunting is not allowed , Animals must be rise as livestock for food. In ancient Orpheus clan ancient belief system is thought that wild animals are impure and not fit for consumption. That animals must be rise as livestock to ensure purity.

2. Meat must be cleansed by fire before eating. In the ancient Orpheus clan ancient belief system is thought that fire has great cleansing properties , and that cleansing meat that is rise as livestock in a fire is thought to remove any remain impurities.

3. Meat must be inspect thoroughly before eating properties In the ancient Orpheus clan ancient belief system is thought that one must always inspect their meat after cleansed to make sure all impurities are gone.

4 . The Meat must be blessed by a milngo. In the ancient Orpheus clan ancient belief system is thought that when meat is blessed by a Milngo it improves one's health.

5. One must pray to Aera before eating. In the ancient Orpheus clan ancient belief system is thought that not praying to the Maango Aera is consider the height of rudeness.

Mazkiya Clan ancient belief system

rule 1 : Killing and eating animals is only allowed on sacred ground ( The Great swamp.) In the Mazkiya Clan ancient belief system it is thought that killing animal in any other place besides the Great swamp will result in great misfortune ( a lifetime of bad luck )

Rule 2. One must always eat facing westward . In the Mazkiya belief system it is thought that facing eastward brings 7 days of bad luck.

Rule 3 One must never eat in cave. in the Mazkiya belief system it is thought that eating in a cave will bring a entire month of bad luck

Rule 4. One must never eat near a pit . in the Mazkiya belief system it is thought eating near a pit will result in six months of bad luck

Rule 5 One must never leave leftovers. in the Mazkiya belief system it is thought if one does not eat all the meat one is giving then one will be curse with bad luck for entire year.

Oilvibar Clan

Rule 1 . Killing is only allowed if it is the only option

Rule 2. Killing animals for meat isn't allowed, but eating animals that are already dead is okay. in Oilvibar Clan ancient belief system belief system it is thought that it is better to be scavengers than hunters.

Rule 3. meat that is not eating must be preserve so that it can last longer.

Rule 4 : One must never eat meat that is more than 2 days old.

Rule 5: a Toadian must never eat a dead Toadian for that is cannibalism.

Luue clan ancient belief system

rule 1. the killing for animals for food is okay as long as it was for the hunt and as long as the meat is shared. in the Luue clan ancient belief system It is thought that hunting makes one more aware of their surroundings and is good for physical health.

rule 2: a Warrior must always have his fellow warrior's back

Rule 3. a Warrior must always know when to run away from battle

Rule 4. Warriors must always operate in groups when hunting.

Rule 5. Resources must always be share among fellow warriors.

note: The Ancient Orpheus clan were livestock farmers, The ancient Mazkiya Clan were highly superstitious, The ancient Oilvibar Clan were scavengers , and the ancient Luue clan were hunters and warriors who had a big emphasis on sharing. this is a big reason why all put one member of the Luue clan were killed off 500,000 years ago. Since the ancient Luue clan pretty much share everything with each other such as bathing in the same spots . this overabundance of sharing lead to all but one member of the clan getting infected by a nasty plague that wiped them out.

The Ancient Toadian deities / Maangos ( ⋔⏃⏃⋏☌⍜⌇ )

note : the word Maango is a pun of Mango.

1. Aera ( ⏃⟒⍀⏃ ) The Goddess of nobility , goodness and the sky,

2. Ikaiosyne (⟟☍⏃⟟⍜⌇⊬⋏⟒) the Goddess of righteousness , justice and the swamp

3. Hathena ( ⊑⏃⏁⊑⟒⋏⏃) The Goddess of peace & wisdom, and the seasons.

4. Haeus ( ⊑⏃⟒⎍⌇) The Goddess of the wilderness, warriors , the hunt and thunder.

Note: I kept the virtues and sins part , because every belief system needs those. However everything else is totally made up and has no basis on any real life religion.

revised the modern Toadian Language Frogiaria alphabet system A = ⏃ , B = ⏚ C = ☊ D = ⎅ E = ⟒ F = ⎎ G=☌ H = ⊑ I = ⟟ J = ⟊ K = ☍ L = ⌰ M = ⋔ N = ⋏ O = ⍜ P = ⌿ Q = ⍾ R = ⍀ S = ⌇ T = ⏁ U = ⎍ V= ⎐ W =⍙ X = ⌖ Y = ⊬ Z = ⋉

The Ancient Toadian Language Toagaria alphabet system https://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/dancingmen.htm

Replita Language Komdoziain Alphabet system https://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/gnommish.htm

Ancient Newtarian Language Axolotl Alphabet system https://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/ancients.htm

Althena's first name means selfless , Praxat's first name and her siblings first names are words in Frogiaria that are associated with electricity with one being the Frogiaria word for electricity. , Qaztoh name is the Frogiaria word for fire. However in Toagaria Praxat's and Qaztoh's names have different means. in Toagaria Praxat's name means lightning and Qaztoh's name in Toagaria means blaze. Althena's name in Frogiaria means generous
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 04-13-2019 at 06:14 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Default Passive/Special Replacements + 19th Technique.

Have a couple of technique submissions to be approved. (1) will be replacing Spəntā Aēšma. (1) is for the 19th Technique we received for the last PL increase. (4) are to replace the following which have been moved to Passive/Special after GM approval:

Aṣ̌a Vahiṣ̌ta
    Haurvatat
    Asvins (Aśvinau) Naonhaithya
    Aka Manah (Akvan)

----

Passive Replacements

1. 鬼に金棒 - "Oni ni Kanabo" - To give an Iron Club to an Oni, is to make the already-strong, invincible ... and now Ishtar has found hers. With Hakai unfettered and coursing through her veins, the Oni can now use it to fashion her own 'club'; affording the already hard to put down Oni an overwhelming offence, in the form of a impenetrable defense. Once this ability is activated, for (5) turns, Ishtar's Hakai 'surfaces' and forms an even layer just beneath the outermost layer of her skin (epidermis) preventing most attacks from doing anything more than break the skin, or otherwise deter the Oni from pressing the attack. Due to the nature of this ability, 鬼に金棒 cannot be used in tandem with other techniques of a similar nature; even while under the effects of Empyrean Ascendant.

2. Civilization's End - Having borne witness to the end of innumerable civilizations, Ishtar has a unique perspective on how best to usher about their fall. Even better however, is her understanding of how it is, time and again, a single can bring about the end of an era ... and so she's put it into practice. By stripping the land, sea, sky, and even her enemies of Ki, Ishtar draws it into herself, and once a threshold is reached ... she returns it; though the form it is returned in matters little, beyond its effect: utter annihilation of an area approximating a city.

3. Sanguineous Juggernaut - "... not so different from flora, it was only a matter of time." - A natural progression of her ability to draw energy from the 'lifeblood' of flora, Ishtar is capable of doing the same with fauna. A conscious-passive (i.e. requiring thought enough to activate the process) , this means that, should there be a bleeding target -- opponent or otherwise -- on the battlefield; the Oni is capable of 'feeding' on the energy within the blood to empower herself while also weakening the target. This 'give and take' lasts for as long as Ishtar is capable of successfully feeding (x number of posts), with the amount of energy stolen and converted into strength equal to that of 10% of her PL per turn until the drain reaches +50%/-50% (herself/opponent).

4. Hypostatic Deconstruction - "... Ah, I see." - The applications of Void Energy are few. The applications of Hakai are fewer ... and yet the insights gleaned from her ability to manipulate the energies found in the Stygian Expanse that is the Void; have allowed Ishtar to utilize Hakai to greater effect that it might have been otherwise. So it is that by focusing on an attack -- be it from an ally, or opponent -- Ishtar can use her Hakai to breakdown the energy it is comprised of and either disperse it, or after 'return' the energy after a short duration of (2) posts in a loose 'mimic' of the original attack. It should be noted however that while this technique works on all attacks, it has two requirements:

• Ishtar must be aware of the attack she intends to absorb (i.e she must see/be able to react to it).
    • Ishtar cannot completely breakdown the energy of an attack that exceeds her PL at the time of Hypostatic Deconstruction's use. Any attack that exceeds this limitation will instead simply have its impact lessened by Ishtar's PL.

----

19th Technique/Spəntā Aēšma's Replacement

1. Empyrean Ascendant - Even sealed, the Hakai that has been a part of Ishtar since birth has had a detrimental effect on her body ... its existence alone forcing a never-ending cycle of 'death', and 'rebirth'. Over the course of 100,000 years however this constant cycle has served only to strengthen that which it had tried to destroy, ultimately culminating in an energy source as pure as the resolve of the Oni herself; and fully realized, provides a measure of power that serves as an equal, of sorts, to Hakai itself ... Tapping into this energy however, is not so simple a thing.

Drawing upon her 'purified' Ki, Ishtar sacrifices the raw output of Hakai for the following:

• A weaker PL increase relative to its counterpart, of x2 her PL.
    • The removal of built-in restrictions, allowing her to use all of her abilities, coinciding with the removal of a 'charge time' on her abilities.
    • An increase of power equal to 25% of her PL for any technique that does not rely on Hakai for the duration.
    • The addition of restrictions to Araska, preventing an increase of PL beyond x2 her PL while under the effects of Empyrean Ascendant, for a maximum of (∞) posts.
    • An inability to use Empyrean Annihilator.

2. Empyrean Annihilator (Spəntā Sij) - Even sealed, the Hakai that has been a part of Ishtar since birth has had a detrimental effect on her body ... in no small part thanks to her nature and her subconscious subversion of the seals themselves in order to draw upon this destructive energy; engendering a never-ending cycle of 'death', and 'rebirth'. Over the course of 100,000 years however this constant cycle has served to only strength that which it had tried to destroy. Now wholly free however, and with sufficient time for her body to 'prepare' as it were, the energy that had once threatened to destroy her even as it offered to destroy her enemies can now be put into practice with more ... confidence.

Drawing upon Hakai, Ishtar sacrifices the versatility of her 'purified' Ki for the following:

• A more noteworthy PL increase relative to its counterpart, of x4 her PL.
    • The addition of restrictions to Araska, preventing an increase of PL beyond x2 her PL while under the effects of Empyrean Annihilator, and for a maximum of (5) posts.
    • An increase of power equal to 25% of her PL for the purposes of 'penetrating' targets (see: Special Beam Cannon, Death Beam, Destructo Disc).
    • A decrease in efficacy equal to 25% of her PL to Amərətāt; as well as an inability to use Empyrean Ascendant.

----

As ever, feedback is appreciated !

Arx Inosaan

lol, one-shotting a dude that takes a team of people to fight, now are we ?

Arx Inosaan

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Ishtar’s new attacks seems quite powerful. I don’t have a problem with them off hand, but they are extensive. I’ll look them over again in a bit but for now it seems fine.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Ishtar’s new attacks seems quite powerful. I don’t have a problem with them off hand, but they are extensive. I’ll look them over again in a bit but for now it seems fine.
    They're weaker than the Third Eye.

Arx Inosaan

Because I'm bored making a few NPC's slowly. Doing shorter easy ones first.

Name: Bella Cardan

Race/Species: Acorian/Eldarian

Height/Weight: 3'5 42 lbs

Appearance: Picture

Power Level: 8

Style: N/A

Techniques: Unless being cute counts, none.

Items: Stuffed animal and misc still when she was around

Special:

-Enhanced senses, at least a bit along with being a bit stronger physically then her small size would suggest. She can also take heat and cold wheather better then normal people from her Eldarian half..

They have a limited ability to effect things like soil and helping things grow. If for example someone was building a farm, they could make unhealthy soil healthy and similar. However if the environment is still bad, it'll eventually still die but with this method they would survive much longer.

The rest of her racial traits never fully came to due to her younger age.

History:

Bella's story doesn't have much to say as it was a unfortunate short one.

She was born between her mother Aleka Cardan and her father Vulen Cardan who while not a fighter was a inventor who helped in their own way with what they could but refused to use their mind towards direct weapons but rather to help people. Bella grew up a happy child still trying to figure out her own place in the world like many of her age were trying to do, at times having flight of fancy towards being a fighter like her mother, making things like her father, to amusingly a super hero very much like in the books and stories she read.

Bella was killed during Nuvrod's rampage along with her father cementing her mother's current path.

Other:

-Was really into her world's equivalent of comic books and super heroes

-It's an unknown reason why, but Bella had a abnormal appetite and needed to eat more. Part of theory was a mixture of her dual heritage or something else.

Just asked Cleric for permission to retcon the last part of the interaction between Meagan and Incenio.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Sure, a small retcon is fine.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    They're weaker than the Third Eye.
    Perhaps.

From what I see I’m fine with them on review, CoR.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Tami, your PM box is full.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM