Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Rank these Wrestlers

Rank the following wrestlers from best to worst, in the following attributes

Strength:
    Speed:
    Durability:
    Skill:
    Charisma

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. The Rock
    3. Bret Hart
    4. Kurt Angle
    5. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    6. Shawn Michaels
    7. The Undertaker
    8. Daniel Bryan
    9. Ric Flair
    10. Bray Wyatt

I’d say Skill comes down to Kurt first, then Bret and D-Bry, then Shawn, then there’s a bit of a drop-off to Naitch and Stone Cold.

Strength is probably Taker and Hogan, then Bray, then Stone Cold and Rock, and then... I dunno... maybe Bret?

Speed is probably Bryan & HBK then Kurt, Bret and Bray.

Durability is Taker and Fiend Bray, then Hogan, then Austin then everybody else just generally sold (or sells) like a trooper.

Charisma is tough. I need to think on that. But Bret’s probably last. By a distance.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’d say Skill comes down to Kurt first, then Bret and D-Bry, then Shawn, then there’s a bit of a drop-off to Naitch and Stone Cold.

Strength is probably Taker and Hogan, then Bray, then Stone Cold and Rock, and then... I dunno... maybe Bret?

Durability is Taker and Fiend Bray, then Hogan, then Austin then everybody else just generally sold (or sells) like a trooper.

Charisma is tough. I need to think on that. But Bret’s probably last. By a distance.
    yeah, while bret was a techical wizard, especially with bret's rope, he was as dry as a piece of toast.

charisma is hard in this regard since they all are charismatic, save for bret, but for different reasons.

Incredible Member

I think people are underestimating how ludicrious bret hart is as an athlete is, so here's some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EphP7wShU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2D7vu2G8U

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I think people are underestimating how ludicrious bret hart is as an athlete is, so here's some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EphP7wShU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2D7vu2G8U
    oh we are well aware of how good bret was before he had to retire.

just saying, charisma wise, he's a far distance last. i mean, he could craft matches that are utter masterpieces of in-ring psychology and technical brilliance. but put a mic in his hand and he was bland. and when compared to guys like austin, rock, HBK, and especially ric flair, it's not even a contest.

Fantastic Member

I have an issue of putting The Fiend there in Durability. Almost everyone else in that list have done 30 (or 60 minute) iron match. I think he's an easy last place in that list. The Fiend has taken punishment and shrugged it off, sure. But stamina and endurance compared to Flair/Bret/Michaels? I think he's the first wrestler to gas out in any endurance match. Even Hogan has taken a long beating and came back like a champ.

Other than that, pretty close. The charisma battle between Rock/Flair/Hogan/Austin/Undertaker is really a matter of choice. All of them sold out stadiums over the world. Any of them have classic promos. Bret is the only wrong answer. I think you can make a chance that his tag team partner had as much charisma. He's just a superior story-teller in the ring.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    Other than that, pretty close. The charisma battle between Rock/Flair/Hogan/Austin/Undertaker is really a matter of choice. All of them sold out stadiums over the world. Any of them have classic promos. Bret is the only wrong answer. I think you can make a chance that his tag team partner had as much charisma. He's just a superior story-teller in the ring.
    If I can speak to Bray's Charisma for a moment: His Charisma is good enough to keep him over despite modern WWE's booking, which is a feat I don't think any of the others can boast of XD

I have an issue of putting The Fiend there in Durability. Almost everyone else in that list have done 30 (or 60 minute) iron match. I think he's an easy last place in that list. The Fiend has taken punishment and shrugged it off, sure. But stamina and endurance compared to Flair/Bret/Michaels? I think he's the first wrestler to gas out in any endurance match. Even Hogan has taken a long beating and came back like a champ.
    There’s a difference between Durability and Endurance.

I agree I wouldn’t put him anywhere near top in terms of Iron Match Match rankings, but in terms of kayfabe damage soak, he’s pretty ridiculous.

The Fiend, like Prime Taker, just no-sells most stuff people throw at him. That’s why I put him at the top.

I think you're downplaying Bret's charisma a lot, there's no way you can argue Jim Neidhart being as charismatic as him. Bret wasn't a flashy OTT type of personality like other main eventers but he clearly had a strong connection with the audience. He was especially popular with fans outside the US, he was huge in Canada (of course) and Europe. He was face of the company at one point and you can't do that if you aren't very charismatic.

Bret's like Bruno Sammartino or Bob Backlund (pre crazy old man days) in that he was kind of bland personality wise but there was something there that endeared him to fans anyway. There's a reason Vince had no choice but to push him over the guy he saw as the next Hogan in Lex Luger because he saw how much the fans liked him,

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    I think you're downplaying Bret's charisma a lot, there's no way you can argue Jim Neidhart being as charismatic as him. Bret wasn't a flashy OTT type of personality like other main eventers but he clearly had a strong connection with the audience. He was especially popular with fans outside the US, he was huge in Canada (of course) and Europe. He was face of the company at one point and you can't do that if you aren't very charismatic.

Bret's like Bruno Sammartino or Bob Backlund (pre crazy old man days) in that he was kind of bland personality wise but there was something there that endeared him to fans anyway. There's a reason Vince had no choice but to push him over the guy he saw as the next Hogan in Lex Luger because he saw how much the fans liked him,
    well that's because luger was even blander than bret. they gave him a all american gimmick but it didn't really work. and honestly, at the time, there was no one else to be the top face of the company. sure, there was nash but we all know how bad his run was, in terms of sales. the new generation was a rough time for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    If I can speak to Bray's Charisma for a moment: His Charisma is good enough to keep him over despite modern WWE's booking, which is a feat I don't think any of the others can boast of XD
    at this point, its hard to say if anyone is or isn't over in the E since they don't have crowds and thus no honest reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post

Fans love talent. They like to see decent wrestling done well.

As much as people may not like to hear it, before his horrifying ending, fans loved Benoit. Some fans love Lesnar (I’m not one of those).

It doesn’t mean they have charisma.

In promos, Bret was as dull as dust. If he had a mic in his hand, people would turn around and listen to paint drying on the walls behind them.

He was an A+ player in the ring, and a D- player on the mic. It was like Lance Storm without the self-deprecating irony.

Fans love talent. They like to see decent wrestling done well.

As much as people may not like to hear it, before his horrifying ending, fans loved Benoit. Some fans love Lesnar (I’m not one of those).

It doesn’t mean they have charisma.

In promos, Bret was as dull as dust. If he had a mic in his hand, people would turn around and listen to paint drying on the walls behind them.

He was an A+ player in the ring, and a D- player on the mic. It was like Lance Storm without the self-deprecating irony.
    very true. i was a big fan of benoit in both wcw and wwf. sure, he couldn't cut a promo at all but he made up for it with his in-ring intensity and technical mastery. like the boys in OSW pointed out, benoit wrestled like he was in a legit fight and people dug that about him.

Fantastic Member

There’s a difference between Durability and Endurance.

I agree I wouldn’t put him anywhere near top in terms of Iron Match Match rankings, but in terms of kayfabe damage soak, he’s pretty ridiculous.

The Fiend, like Prime Taker, just no-sells most stuff people throw at him. That’s why I put him at the top.
    I get what you're saying. There is a difference between a chair that can hold a lot of weight easily, but if you put one extra pound, it breaks immediately versus a chair that bends a lot but takes a lot to break the chair.

Fiend can no-sell stuff but his endurance is crap. I think that his key factor is that his finishing moves actually end the match.

I'm tempted to put the Fiend in versus Andre the Giant. Tempted....

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    very true. i was a big fan of benoit in both wcw and wwf. sure, he couldn't cut a promo at all but he made up for it with his in-ring intensity and technical mastery. like the boys in OSW pointed out, benoit wrestled like he was in a legit fight and people dug that about him.
    Exactly. I loved Benoit before the end. He could tell a story in the ring like few others. His interviews, though....forgettable. It's weird to think that out of the Radicalz, he is maybe the second most charisma (Eddie, Benoit, Saturn, Malenko) out of that bunch. In some ways, that is what made it such a tragedy. No one saw it coming.