Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Mutants as an Endangered Species RUINS the X-Men and deprives them of villains

Thanks to both decimation and the repeat of decimation with the current Terrigen mists story, the X-Men are deprived of new villains and a lot of villains with potential don't get fully utilized. What's even worse is both Apocalypse and Sinister have been reduced to beyond pathetic in their most recent appearances. Sinister gets his back broken by Colossus in human FORM. Then his head is cut off by Magik, and his head is in shield custody. Apocalypse in the future was so feeble Nightcrawler kills him with a SWORD.

Sinister and Apocalypse MUST be retired as villains.

Magneto himself, if there were in the 80s, was a brilliant scientist and pretty good as using powers. Without NEEDING a team for backup, he would have REMOVED the terrigen mists himself. He was able to assemble high tech machines with his powers in minutes in the 80s.

But back to the villains. End this endangered species crap, work out a deal with Fox (there are rumors that this is taking place) and let the next generation of A list villains come forward. Selene and Madelyne Pryor have excellent potential, and they could reorganize the Sisterhood with the Enchantress, Lady Deathstrike, the Mastermind sisters, and some other members. Exodus and Stryfe both have excellent potential as well. They could bring back the Gamesmaster. During Necrosha Selene brought back a number of mutants we didn't see her devour. Perhaps Shinobi Shaw and some of the Acolytes who died are back. Though Moonstar sent the Hellions to hell, maybe now that Selene is back she brought them back, as the hellions could make excellent villains if written right.

What I think should happen is this. It's Medusa who doesn't want the terrigen cloud removed because she worships it. Magik should join Maddie's Sisterhood. They should send the mutants back to earth and bring the Inhumans to Limbo. They could then banish the terrigen cloud to wherever, and then Magik should tell the Inhuman royal family if they have an issues with this she will offer their SOULS to SELENE.

Anyway for the fall it looks like some mutants in the comics will actually start doing something about the terrigen mists.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Thanks to both decimation and the repeat of decimation with the current Terrigen mists story, the X-Men are deprived of new villains and a lot of villains with potential don't get fully utilized. What's even worse is both Apocalypse and Sinister have been reduced to beyond pathetic in their most recent appearances. Sinister gets his back broken by Colossus in human FORM. Then his head is cut off by Magik, and his head is in shield custody. Apocalypse in the future was so feeble Nightcrawler kills him with a SWORD.

Magneto himself, if there were in the 80s, was a brilliant scientist and pretty good as using powers. Without NEEDING a team for backup, he would have REMOVED the terrigen mists himself. He was able to assemble high tech machines with his powers in minutes in the 80s.

But back to the villains. End this endangered species crap, work out a deal with Fox (there are rumors that this is taking place) and let the next generation of A list villains come forward. Selene and Madelyne Pryor have excellent potential, and they could reorganize the Sisterhood with the Enchantress, Lady Deathstrike, the Mastermind sisters, and some other members. Exodus and Stryfe both have excellent potential as well. They could bring back the Gamesmaster. During Necrosha Selene brought back a number of mutants we didn't see her devour. Perhaps Shinobi Shaw and some of the Acolytes who died are back. Though Moonstar sent the Hellions to hell, maybe now that Selene is back she brought them back, as the hellions could make excellent villains if written right.

What I think should happen is this. It's Medusa who doesn't want the terrigen cloud removed because she worships it. Magik should join Maddie's Sisterhood. They should send the mutants back to earth and bring the Inhumans to Limbo. They could then banish the terrigen cloud to wherever, and then Magik should tell the Inhuman royal family if they have an issues with this she will offer their SOULS to SELENE.

Anyway for the fall it looks like some mutants in the comics will actually start doing something about the terrigen mists.
    Just because Sinister and Apoc are portrayed terribly doesnt mean they are bad villians necessarily....

Its just a terrible portrayal

Now to your point about suggested other villians sure I like all of those but its always cheap when you simply use Selene to resurrect old baddies because you liked em so much

Why not get new baddies?
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Dark Riders were defeated way too easily in UXM. :/ Still happy Bunn brought them back.

Sinister is a great villain, but he hasn't been used properly in years. As for Apoc, he's kind of limited in the sense that he needs a big arc to support him, and I can't recall the last time he's gotten a good one.

I do agree that the X-Men have been missing a good, meaty arc featuring villains that aren't human hate groups. Bunn is at least trying to accomplish something in terms of that over in UXM with the presence of Genocide and Emplate.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

Lemire not acknowledging these characters' many secondary powers isn't really symptomatic of the X-franchise as a whole, that blame lies squarly and exclusively on Lemire's shoulders alone. And this appearance of Apocalypse in the future along with the one in Messiah War is also in the future, are Apocalypse's only post-Decimation appearances. He IS retired as a current villain BECAUSE of these mutant endangerment plotlines.

But back to the villains. End this endangered species crap, work out a deal with Fox (there are rumors that this is taking place) and let the next generation of A list villains come forward.
    What do people imagine working out a deal with Fox will do towards magically making writers better? The comics will still be the comics.
    Selene and Madelyne Pryor have excellent potential, and they could reorganize the Sisterhood with the Enchantress, Lady Deathstrike, the Mastermind sisters, and some other members. Exodus and Stryfe both have excellent potential as well. They could bring back the Gamesmaster. During Necrosha Selene brought back a number of mutants we didn't see her devour. Perhaps Shinobi Shaw and some of the Acolytes who died are back. Though Moonstar sent the Hellions to hell, maybe now that Selene is back she brought them back, as the hellions could make excellent villains if written right.

Fall of Mutants and the Sisterhood were all post Decimation plots. Unlike Apocalypse, their effectiveness as villains has if anything greatly increased in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Just because Sinister and Apoc are portrayed terribly doesnt mean they are bad villians necessarily....

Now to your point about suggested other villians sure I like all of those but its always cheap when you simply use Selene to resurrect old baddies because you liked em so much

Why not get new baddies?
    Seconded. They are not bad villains. Just sometimes poorly written. While I don't mind seeing old villains coming back the X-titles need new villains. For me what hold the X-men back is also them still being victimized by racism. Given how many people have superpowers in the MU. It makes no sense. If anything anyone and everyone who had a superpower should and would be victims of racism. Not to mention someone like Apoc has to be used carefully if written too well is pretty much impossible to beat imo.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

Why not get new baddies?
    Yeah whynnot new baddies?
    I agree either with the main thread post as well as with your reply. Sinister and Apocalyopse should be used in smart way and not as sumb cannon fodder(honestly Sinister evolution in recent times was good..with the whole sinister seeing himself as a living social system of sort....Secret Wars portraial of a whole realm ruled by Sinister clones was creepy as hell(poor BW Chef Daredevil...)..aaand was mostly ingnored for putting him back in usual dumb mad scientist (for the chronicle I just noticed...every big "Family" of MU, be spiderman, Avengers or FF.. all have at least one important villain that is a maniacal genetist, prone to clonation, more or less creepily obsessed with one of the main characters DNA, smug and snarky all the times, and all at some point worked with High Evolutionary and/or with the Nazis....wonder if they know each other personally...)(also do zootopia exist on counter earth?).
    90's gave very little memorable villains...most have only redeeming quality of being very punchable, but most their storylines lead to nowhere. and some fo the new millenium villains were...yeah...sheesh
    We need more new villains. Something weird and disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Seconded. They are not bad villains. Just sometimes poorly written. While I don't mind seeing old villains coming back the X-titles need new villains. For me what hold the X-men back is also them still being victimized by racism. Given how many people have superpowers in the MU. It makes no sense. If anything anyone and everyone who had a superpower should and would be victims of racism. Not to mention someone like Apoc has to be used carefully if written too well is pretty much impossible to beat imo.
    Racism isn't logical either. Hating people for a different skin tone is similar to hating people with different origins for superpowers. It doesn't help that one group is portrayed positive by the media and the other is usually blamed for things going bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Racism isn't logical either. Hating people for a different skin tone is similar to hating people with different origins for superpowers. It doesn't help that one group is portrayed positive by the media and the other is usually blamed for things going bad.
    I concur... It makes little sense for Marvel to continue with the farcical "racism-bigotry" angle leveled at the X-Men and mutants in general especially when the average baseline human can't differentiate between "Super-Humans" (ex., Luke Cage), "Extraterrestials" (ex., Dorrek VIII), and "Human-Mutants" (ex., Kitty Pride) -- Makes me wonder if the Inhumans will now share the lowly "allegory/metaphor" spotlight -- or will they be elevated past mutants and join the prestigious ranks reserved for the likes of the Avengers and Fantastic Four?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 07-02-2016 at 04:02 PM.

I don't think the Decimation deprived the X-Men of villains. Selene for example became a legitimate threat during the Decimation era.

Endangered mutants is a status quo. With a little creativity, writers can either take advantage of the status quo to bring back old villains and shine a new light on them, or just create new villains with little connection to that status quo and who do their own thing. I think it's all down to the writing IMO.

The Terrigen Mists is a boring rehash yes, but it doesn't affect the effectiveness of villains I don't think.
    Last edited by iacobusleo; 07-02-2016 at 05:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    I don't think the Decimation deprived the X-Men of villains. Selene for example became a legitimate threat during the Decimation era.

Endangered mutants is a status quo. With a little creativity, writers can either take advantage of the status quo to bring back old villains and shine a new light on them, or just create new villains with little connection to that status quo and who do their own thing. I think it's all down to the writing IMO.

The Terrigen Mists is a boring rehash yes, but it doesn't affect the effectiveness of villains I don't think.
    At least the travesty that was "M-Day" left us with a list consisting (laughably) of 198 active and or living mutants planet wide -- Okay, then let's do the "T-Mist" math shall we? Can we name with "on panel" certainty who amongst the known heroes and villains died and who was transformed due to "Terrigen Mist" exposure? I ask because for a potentially deadly biological agent that's making its way throughout Earth's biosphere I can't name any relevant fatalities and or transformation to any known (established) characters.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 07-02-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    At least the travesty that was "M-Day" left us with a list consisting (laughably) of 198 active and or living mutants planet wide -- Okay, then let's do the "T-Mist" math shall we? Can we name with "on panel" certainty who amongst the known heroes and villains died and who was transformed due to "Terrigen Mist" exposure? I ask because for a potentially deadly biological agent that's making its way throughout Earth's biosphere I can't name any relevant fatalities and or transformation to any known (established) characters.
    And the missing mutants dont count or what ?.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    And the missing mutants dont count or what ?.
    Who's missing and how or why do you attribute their absence to the Terrigen Mist?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I agree that racism is not logical. I just wish it was racism against both non-mutants and mutants. In a world where 50% or more have some kind of superpower. Targeting mutants makes no sense imo. In a world where the majority of people have no superpowers then it makes sense to target mutants and only mutants. In the Marvel Universe not so much imo. The Thing is less human than Cyclops yet he gets a free pass on racism because he received his power from cosmic radiation. Granted a very few non-mutants suffer from racism. It's nowhere as bad as mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I concur... It makes little sense for Marvel to continue with the farcical "racism-bigotry" angle leveled at the X-Men and mutants in general especially when the average baseline human can't differentiate between "Super-Humans" (ex., Luke Cage), "Extraterrestials" (ex., Dorrek VIII), and "Human-Mutants" (ex., Kitty Pride) -- Makes me wonder if the Inhumans will now share the lowly "allegory/metaphor" spotlight -- or will they be elevated past mutants and join the prestigious ranks reserved for the likes of the Avengers and Fantastic Four?
    As I said it makes sense to target mutants in a world where they and them have powers. Yet in a world where a decent amount of people have superpowers. With no real well to tell the difference. Actually not true. Somehow due to bad writing anti-mutant bigots seem to have mutant radar and seem to be able to locate and target mutants. Were not talking about organization say like the Purifiers. I'm talking the average person can locate and attack mutants easily. We will see if the Inhumans suffer racism or if they are given a free pass by the writers. My guess is a free pass. As the writers have a bad habit of recycling the same tropes over and over imo.
    Last edited by sureshot; 07-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Astonishing Member

That's more my problem. Racism isn't logical, but how do the average joe bigot know who's a mutant, and be right about it, neatly all the time?