Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What went wrong with X-men apocalypse

1. They had no clue what they wanted Apocalypse to be as a villain, They had no clue what they want the movie to be a Disaster movie or Superhero movie had they pick either one they would have gotten a better movie

2. They didn't let Jennifer Lawrence go and she was clearly done with the franchise, In fact, they should have probably let Fassbender go as well and not because he was bad but only reason Magneto and Mystique are getting attention this point is that they are the big name actors and that change the story focus away from X-men lore to showcase those actors. Bending to please Jlau hurt this movie storywise.

3. You don't put Storm, Psylocke, and Angel in X-men movie to be the bad guys, making Horsemen recognizable X-men doesn't help if moviegoers and fans aren't invested in them. Magento arc should have been Angel arc in the movie. Angel gets hurt with the X-men and leaves , Apocalypse comes to him gives him back his wings. In the final battle Archangel breaking free from Apocalypse control is the big moment.

4. The focus of the movie should have been Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Psylocke and Nightcrawler, not Xavier, Magento, Mystique, Quicksilver, Havok and Beast. Jean and Cyclops get better focus but old guard keep them from truly shining as the main focus.

5. Apocalypse looks stupid, In a world where Thanos does not look horrible, there is no reason for Apocalypse to look that bad.

6. They failed to build a good Cyclops and Jean romance

7. Mystique being the hero of heroes in the X-men universe hurts to see

The less familiar you are with X-men mythos the better the movie is for you, I don't have problems with anyone liking X-men Apocalypse it is solid action/superhero movie and has three of better action set pieces in a X-man movie The attempt to kill apocalypse in the beginning, The Quicksilver saves the people in mansion,The final battle against apocalypse were all very entertaining. So if you don't know the lore(or don't care) combine with good action I can see people liking it. But X-man comic snob in me watches X-men First Class and X-men Apocalypse(and parts of DoFP) get very annoyed these movies don't do the X-men story justice which means they really don't do the X-men justice.
    Couldn't put it better myself.
    Angel and Psylocke were horribly wasted. They used two of the best X Men for about five minutes as bad guys. And I really can't stand JLaw's Mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It doesn't take a comic fan to be upset about this (I'm not one, FWIW). The unsettling aspect of it is the complete turnaround in tone. Even that I think I could live with if they had just told a different story. Getting laughs out of Armageddon, out of the annihilation of a race, is like getting laughs out of the Holocaust. It just doesn't fit. You want to do funny? To Frog Thor or Beta Ray Bill Thor. Not "Everyone I loved and my home all that's good about the Nine Realms was brutally destroyed. Ha ha, what a knee-slapper."

At a fundamental story level, Ragnarok and Infinity War had the same story to tell. One of them told it well. The other made a mockery of it.

And that's where my displeasure with Ragnarok comes from. It's a tone entirely inappropriate to the story being told, and I have two issues with it:

1. Marvel has eroded my trust a little (a little) that they will make good decisions with characters I care about.
    2. That this story, told this way, was received so well by audiences bodes ill for the state of society today. Exaggeration? I can see why some might think so. But it doesn't say anything good at any level about us.
    Sorry you feel that way but audiences reacting to it positively doesnt say anything negative about society. It's a hyper stylized comedy. The only thing is says about society is you have a different taste in comedy then the general audience. And the movie doesnt make laughs out of deaths at all. It's just doesnt stew in them and moves on quickly. With Thors reactions having to carry the full weight while madness continues to go on around him. Thor is the same character IN endgame and Infinty war as Ragnarok. The difference is those movies arent straight up comedy's so they have a more serious tone.

I'll admit that I wish someone had been on the set of Ragnarok and made the director take beat here and there to let a scene sit before moving in to the next gag. The scene between Thor and Loki in the elevator was amazing but they go right into a slap stick gag with no pause at all to let it set in. Odins death was immediately interrupted by Hela so we got 5seconds of Thor and Loki reacting to it. Endgame has a ridiculous and funny Thor but they balanced the drama and comedy better. Honestly my favroite scene with Thor were the one where he was emotionaly wrecked and crying but still being funny. They were handled well, though the whole fat gag was a bit much it grew on me.

Let me ask do you think it's a bad sign for Society when Chappele makes rape jokes and people are on the floor laughing. Same thing with comedian and Holocaust,Pedophila, and many other very serious topics? Context and intent matter. Ragnarok didnt make light if the deaths at all but it was a straight up Comedy so they didnt let you feel the full weight of it either. Also that was kinda the point of Infinity war and endgame. To see how its impacted Thor, first consumed by revenge and then consumed guilt and self doubt.

That said I 100% understand people who were fans of Thor prior being upset by the tonal shift. It was jarring and extreme. But not sure how it reflects poorly on society.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think Magneto is more of a main character then Loki but I mean Thor has a defined main protagonists. The current Xmen films it's been shared between Charles,Mystique, and Eric. The old movies I'd say it was straight up Wolverine with everyone else being a side character. But they are both the popular villians who for whatever reason the heroes keep forgiving no matter how awful the **** they do is. So definitely see similarities. I think Magneto intrinsically is a better character but Loki has had a more clear character arc. Magneto keeps going in circles. 2 steps forward 3 step back. But yea I love the chatacter I'm not on the Bench Magneto team, but I'd like more of a plan instead of seeming like "Hmm what should we do with him this movie?" Apporach.
    I think magneto needs a long rest in the next set of movies wether it's a reboot or not maybe not have him show up intill the 3ed movie of the next set.

Fox is what went wrong with it. I think Dark Phoenix would have meant the end of the official X-Men franchise anyway, even if Disney hadn't bought them.

The 3rd was Jean's story.
    It was? Could not tell as she spends half the movie standing behind magneto trying to look angry. The main bad guy in that movie was magneto. Again. They have all these X-Men bad guys and keep going back to the same one over and over again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I think magneto needs a long rest in the next set of movies wether it's a reboot or not maybe not have him show up intill the 3ed movie of the next set.
    It's just so hard to do that. I understand the Magneto fatigue but he is a Mt. Rushmore level character of this franchise.

The problem isn't Magneto. It's the studio.

As a parallel let me offer Spiderman: Done to death by Sony to the point of becoming a running public joke. But give him to the MCU, let them sprinkle him in, do the character right, and tell his stories in a fresh way....and the joke and fatigue go away. I think the same can happen here with Wolverine, Mags, and Professor X.

But for the love of all that's good in the world - Mystique never gets on screen again. For decades. Please.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If they want to bring back Magneto, they could introduce him as a former adversary brought in by Xavier to lead the team for one reason or another. They did it in the comics so it’s not like there’s no precedent for it. It could give the character new life after Fox beat him into the ground by repeating the same beats over & over.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    It's just so hard to do that. I understand the Magneto fatigue but he is a Mt. Rushmore level character of this franchise.

The problem isn't Magneto. It's the studio.

As a parallel let me offer Spiderman: Done to death by Sony to the point of becoming a running public joke. But give him to the MCU, let them sprinkle him in, do the character right, and tell his stories in a fresh way....and the joke and fatigue go away. I think the same can happen here with Wolverine, Mags, and Professor X.

But for the love of all that's good in the world - Mystique never gets on screen again. For decades. Please.
    But you can't have Spider-Man movies without... well, Spider-Man.

There really isn't any reason why Magneto should be in every single X-Men movie overshadowing the title characters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I think magneto needs a long rest in the next set of movies wether it's a reboot or not maybe not have him show up until the 3rd movie of the next set.
    I am with you 100% on this. Maybe hint at him in the first movie with Charles talking about an old friend who he had a falling out with over their methods. Then you show Magneto at the end of the 2nd movie after having the X-Men take on his Brotherhood or the Acolytes with him taking center stage for the 3rd.

Let me ask do you think it's a bad sign for Society when Chappele makes rape jokes and people are on the floor laughing. Same thing with comedian and Holocaust,Pedophila, and many other very serious topics? Context and intent matter. Ragnarok didnt make light if the deaths at all but it was a straight up Comedy so they didnt let you feel the full weight of it either. Also that was kinda the point of Infinity war and endgame. To see how its impacted Thor, first consumed by revenge and then consumed guilt and self doubt.
    What about the guy who gets killed with the melting stick?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What about the guy who gets killed with the melting stick?
    He was talking about the Genocide and destruction of the planet. And Thor was horrified in that scene he didnt laugh it off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    But you can't have Spider-Man movies without... well, Spider-Man.

There really isn't any reason why Magneto should be in every single X-Men movie overshadowing the title characters.
    Except Spiderman returned in a Captain America movie. And immediately the running joke about him evaporated.

The same can be done with Magneto. He doesn't have to overshadow everyone. The fact that he (and Mystique and Wolverine) overshadowed everyone is because the studio making X-men movies is a gong-show of bad ideas.

My point was that their new studio offers a hope of Magneto being used without being misused. Perhaps the fatigue and frustration with him will vanish immediately with better usage. (As it did with Spidey)

BANNED

He was talking about the Genocide and destruction of the planet. And Thor was horrified in that scene he didnt laugh it off.
    There are no deaths in Ragnarok the audience isn't asked to take lightly.

It is possible to inject a moment of comedy into a tragedy and ask the audience to laugh.

It is not possible to inject a moment of tragedy into a comedy and expect the audience to cry. It's a Simon Bar Sinister "Simon says...cry!" kind of moment that just doesn't work.

And we didn't. We laughed at that moment of tragedy, or at least didn't take it seriously. And made the movie enormously popular. And civilization is the worse for it.

And this is the last I have to say in the subject.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 05-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with her like everyone else did.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There are three franchises in the MCU that are straight up comedies, and only one of those changed from being drama to comedy.

I'd personally call the MCU light drama for the most part, and I think that's exactly the right time for most of these films.
    For me it seems to be 50% comedy 50% drama witch still isn't bad.