Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Mighty Member

The art is quite good but I think this mini-series is mostly an origin story for Wolverine.

It's to introduce new readers to the complex history/origin of Wolverine while at the same time add some Krakoa/time travelling stuff into it.
    Last edited by ericng; 01-14-2022 at 10:05 AM.

The issue isn't Wolverine. He is always going to be a protagonist in X-Men stuff. It's the hack writer that writes fan fiction instead of a coherent book that respects continuity and the accurate characterization of characters. Every single person in his books is written out of character, including Wolverine. The Jean and Logan thing has been dropped everywhere else and he insists on it. It makes the lead X-Men book look out of place and like she is cheating and not in a polyamorous relationship. It also makes no sense. The narrator sounds like an old guy that is hanging out with teenagers and telling them how cool he is. It's just fucking creepy writing and this guy does not deserve to write Wolverine or X-Force or any other X title for that matter. He is one of the worst writers in comics. He is not that far off from Chuck Austen to be honest. And at least Chuck was entertaining. This guy is boring and talentless.

Watch him retcon a ton of stuff in Wolverines past too. I bet you money he throws something ridiculous in there like the fact Jean always loved him behind Scotts back and had sex with him in the janitors closet when they first met and multiple times in Jim Lee era. LOL.
    Last edited by BESTXMAN; 01-14-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Same writer. Yep, I'm with everyone that thinks it is too pretentious. Wolverine is a very basic guy
    He’s really not. Claremont and Larry Hama, Grant Morrison and even Mark Millar (in parts of Old Man Logan and Enemy of the State) wrote him with depth, gravitas and layers. And intelligence!

Unfortunately it’s due to him getting whored out by Marvel and passed around by so many writers that ultimately leads to him being written like a one-dimensional simpleton, or “basic guy” as you put it, at times by lazier or less talented writers.

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I'm copying my own post from the Inferno 4 review thread:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think there's actually some decent set-up for XLoW / XDoW here, it's just not as obliquely set up as Immortal X-Men.

I'm 99% sure that the person Wolverine is trying to save in XLoW / XDoW is the past version of either Charles Xavier or Moira MacTaggert.
    Moira is the redacted figure on the cover of X Deaths of Wolverine 2.

In Inferno 4, one of the last things Xavier said to Nimrod and Omega before he died was "Where is Moira MacTaggert?", alerting ORCHIS to the fact that Moira is (currently) alive and is important to him and Krakoa.
    In Inferno 1, Omega Sentinel postulates that "Someone remembers. It's why they keep coming."
    In Inferno 1, we learn that Xavier and Magneto have been sending multiple X-Force teams to the Orchis Forge, but that all of them failed and ORCHIS keeps a collection of their corpses. Our attention is specifically drawn towards a bunch of Wolverine skeletons hooked up inside experimental vats.
    In Inferno 4, Cypher leaves Moira with a Warlock arm so that he is able to track her (probably to prevent Mystique/Destiny from carrying out assassination attempts on her).

Putting all of this together, here's my speculation on how XLoW / XDoW goes:
    Karima works out that Moira is either the person or is connected to the person who 'remembers' the other futures.
    She decides to kill Moira and/or Xavier in the past, before they have a chance to interfere with the timeline.
    To this end, she infects the Wolverine corpses with the techno-organic virus, converting them into Omega Sentinels.
    This is the new 'Omega Wolverine' character that Percy has been teasing in relation to this event.
    Karima sends the 'Omega Wolverine' back in time (the same way she herself came back in time to the present) to kill Moira (or at least Moira's ancestors) long before Krakoa became a thing.

In some way or the other, Warlock (connected to present-day Moira) senses that this is about to happen and informs Cypher, who informs Professor X.
    To save Moira and Krakoa, Xavier needs someone whose lifespan is long enough to be able to mentally travel back in time and combat these assassination attempts. Enter: Logan.
    To this end, Xavier recruits Jean Grey, an Omega mutant, and together both of them are capable of telepathically projecting Logan's mind through time to inhabit his body at various points in the past.
    Percy has been hammering the 'Logan has blank spots in his memory' plot point endlessly in his Wolverine run and this is presumably the pay-off: some of these blank spots were periods in which he was possessed by his future self.

While Logan is off time-travelling, present-day Krakoa also gets attacked by the Omega Wolverines. As Xavier, Jean and Logan are busy, Logan's children Laura, Gabby and Daken team up to stop the present-day invasion of Krakoa.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Omega Red's role in this event - and he definitely has a role as an antagonist, he attacks Egg in the trailer.
    We know from X-Force and Wolverine that Omega Red thinks he is working for Dracula, but I don't think Dracula is relevant in this event.
    I see two options here: either Omega Red finds a way to time travel with Logan, or the points in his life where Logan is sent back to were points in which Omega Red was already present in his life.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I managed to hit the big general idea of the event, but I probably got a lot of the smaller details wrong.
    Very interesting theory. The idea of Omega Sentinel infecting the Wolverine corpses with the techno-organic virus, converting them into Omega Sentinels, would be awesome and scary af.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    He’s really not. Claremont and Larry Hama, Grant Morrison and even Mark Millar (in parts of Old Man Logan and Enemy of the State) wrote him with depth, gravitas and layers. And intelligence!

Unfortunately it’s due to him getting whored out by Marvel and passed around by so many writers that ultimately leads to him being written like a one-dimensional simpleton, or “basic guy” as you put it, at times by lazier or less talented writers.
    Don't forget Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino. That duo was something. For that very reason Sorrentino is getting big these days with DC hiring him for Batman comics that are leading into his film.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    The issue isn't Wolverine. He is always going to be a protagonist in X-Men stuff. It's the hack writer that writes fan fiction instead of a coherent book that respects continuity and the accurate characterization of characters. Every single person in his books is written out of character, including Wolverine. The Jean and Logan thing has been dropped everywhere else and he insists on it. It makes the lead X-Men book look out of place and like she is cheating and not in a polyamorous relationship. It also makes no sense. The narrator sounds like an old guy that is hanging out with teenagers and telling them how cool he is. It's just fucking creepy writing and this guy does not deserve to write Wolverine or X-Force or any other X title for that matter. He is one of the worst writers in comics. He is not that far off from Chuck Austen to be honest. And at least Chuck was entertaining. This guy is boring and talentless.

Watch him retcon a ton of stuff in Wolverines past too. I bet you money he throws something ridiculous in there like the fact Jean always loved him behind Scotts back and had sex with him in the janitors closet when they first met and multiple times in Jim Lee era. LOL.
    The problem is that Percy doesn't put time to develop things, so everything sounds like fanfiction. Like why Jean doesn't french kiss him here?
    Wolverine's been into surfing was out of nowhere and felt like "I like breaking point and I wil write a x-force issue about it". Dude really thinks we will eat up any crap he writes

Good. Percy should stick to these characters only. As soon as he touches characters like Hank, Peter, Emma, Scott etc it all falls apart for me lol He can write whatever fanfiction he wants with his core characters haha

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Logan got Batmanned years ago, man. Once you realize that, a lot of the strife over his prominence goes away honestly.

I’m a big Wolverine fan. His overexposure at times is annoying to me due to the inconsistent (and often terrible) characterization that results from so many creators handling him. However, the fact that Marvel pushes him bothers me no more than them pushing any big character (e.g., Spider-man) or DC pushing Batman. I’m glad he’s getting this event. Percy has wanted to do this since the beginning, so they’re giving him the opportunity to do it as an event. My only gripe isn’t that Logan is getting this event, it’s that everything else had to be put on hold… I want my X-men Red and I want it now! Buuut… I don’t think the break was to make way for XLoW/XDoW per se, rather they needed the break to reset the line. So they used this event as a spacer to buy them that time.

Having said that, I get why folks who don’t like Logan anyway would blame the character and this event for their favorites being put on hold. I just don’t think that’s truly the case. The X-office didn’t decide to stop the rest of the line for this, rather they were wanting to do that anyway and used this to fill the space.
    If it was a different writer, I’d be much more interested. Percy just doesn’t engage me.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    If it was a different writer, I’d be much more interested. Percy just doesn’t engage me.
    Yeah, that’s fair. To be honest he hasn’t lit my world on fire either, though he’s written some decent Wolverine stories (mostly in his solo book though). The first arc of X-Force started out hot too, but quickly fizzled and the book lost momentum. Having said that, since he’s had a stronger and more consistent track record in Logan’s solo title in my view… and he’s been thinking about this XLoW/XDoW story arc for some time now… plus Hickman apparently collaborated with him on it and gave him some guidance… I’m going into it cautiously optimistic. We’ll see I suppose…

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I'm not interested in this either but some of you say some really mean shit about Percy.
    If he would write the characters with accurate personalities and write the character's actions they would take in a given situation accurately then there wouldn't be a problem.

A huge red flag is Percy glossing over Wolverine learning that Mariko was alive. She was literally the love of his life that he had to kill after she was poisoned. She begged him to do it so she wouldn't suffer. Percy puts one page in his run glossing over it. Beast isn't a heartless CIA handler. He never was. Omega Red isn't a cannibal that literally eats people. They were depicted like that in Percy's run. There are many more characterization issues in his run that frankly ruin the story. As long as it's obvious that a writer barely did research and write characters with inaccurate personalities and actions they deserve all the criticism they get. I will acknowledge that his Wolverine characterization isn't completely off though.
    Last edited by nnelg; 01-14-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

This honestly looks quite intriguing, but I can't get the image of his dumb ass riding that ridiculous adamantium surfboard outta my head.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Holy revisionist fanfic. Poor Mariko, lol.

Bonus points for the dumb watch thingy too, I suppose.

It happened in Hama's run.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    It happened in Hama's run.
    No, I meant Percy's writing the revisionist fanfic and Mariko's getting screwed over.

I was responding to the preview.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 01-14-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Still remember Wolverine pissing on Magneto's helmet and Cecilia Reyes getting killed by the russian doll. I don't understand how Percy's books sell so well.