Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I think its important to remember that people have different standards on what they consider rude or creepy behavior on particular things.

You may consider a persons hair to be off limits,other person may like it depending on the context.

Personally,yeah its weird that someone wants to touch my coat but its not would think its rude.
    I think you are right. It is important to remember that people have different standards. SOme of those standards are personal. Most are cultural. In the Western world there is a history of dehumanizing Black people. Black people even used to be put in circuses and zoos for White people's entertainment. So yeah. For various reasons don't ask. We are not on display.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    China is definitely the country that everybody points to when the topic of foreign markets keeping LGBT representation out of popular movies comes up, but honestly I don't even think it's all about foreign censorship. Look at the comments sections for any online articles about the scene that was cut from Black Panther or Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok or the possibility of Poe Dameron being gay or Dumbledore in the next Fantastic Beasts movie, most of it is heterosexual Americans basically just shouting; "oh my god who cares who a fictional character has sex with". They use every excuse in the book to justify not having explicitly gay characters in these movies. And there's so many people who treat it like it's some kind of "either/or" situation where a movie can focus on minority representation or the quality of the film, because apparently they're mutually exclusive.

I used to believe that if these movies completely ignored foreign markets and only screened in North America there would be openly gay characters by now, but I don't anymore. For every one outright bigot who proudly proclaims that they don't like gay people and don't want to see them in these movies there's about ten people who just say; "I don't care about fictional characters' sexuality".
    Oh I agree, I never stated that China is the "only" reason, we're seeing lack of LGBT representation, but one of the biggest. Since the foreign market is crucial for blockbuster hits to make as much money as they can, (as the foreign market now normally exceeds it's domestic box office), and China's the biggest market in the foreign market, sadly that's going to be a HUGE thorn in the side in order to see representation.

Think about it, Star Wars, arguably the biggest franchise in American history, had to remove the title of Star Wars because the last jedi did absolutely horrible in China. That's how powerful China is currently at the moment. (Well not technically remove, but renamed to focus on the name Solo instead of Star Wars.)

So that's not to excuse all the other homophobic tendencies we see in the states, but I do believe IF china did not possess the views that they did, we would more than likely see representation. It would be late of course, but I do believe it would be developed. Now, I don't think it's possible.

After all, think about how many people voted for Trump, and yet that didn't stop Marvel from making Black Panther, or stop Black Panther from soon becoming one of the biggest hits in Marvel History. But black representation is not criticize in China like Gay representation, and that's the difference.

Rumors now that the servers for MvCI will be shit down within a year due to the game's failure
    http://www.rushdownradio.net/2018/02...t-down-by.html

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Oh I agree, I never stated that China is the "only" reason, we're seeing lack of LGBT representation, but one of the biggest. Since the foreign market is crucial for blockbuster hits to make as much money as they can, (as the foreign market now normally exceeds it's domestic box office), and China's the biggest market in the foreign market, sadly that's going to be a HUGE thorn in the side in order to see representation.

Think about it, Star Wars, arguably the biggest franchise in American history, had to remove the title of Star Wars because the last jedi did absolutely horrible in China. That's how powerful China is currently at the moment. (Well not technically remove, but renamed to focus on the name Solo instead of Star Wars.)

So that's not to excuse all the other homophobic tendencies we see in the states, but I do believe IF china did not possess the views that they did, we would more than likely see representation. It would be late of course, but I do believe it would be developed. Now, I don't think it's possible.

After all, think about how many people voted for Trump, and yet that didn't stop Marvel from making Black Panther, or stop Black Panther from soon becoming one of the biggest hits in Marvel History. But black representation is not criticize in China like Gay representation, and that's the difference.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to claim that you were only blaming China. I agree that we're in agreement, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    or at all

Im just waiting for the butthurt white blogger thinkpieces

as if we (black people) give a good gotdamb what they think
    Can't be better said..

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Something I saw on facebook earlier this morning: Concept art by Grey Williamson for a pitch he & Kevin Grevioux gave at marvel back in '09

For those not familiar with Grey's incredible art check out his website: https://www.carbon-fibre.me/ He also did the original character design for dc's Mr. Terrific (the Michael Holt version).
    Great artist, I find Kevin work to be more miss than hit ( occasionally tone deaf) so I prefer a different writer.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Something I saw on facebook earlier this morning: Concept art by Grey Williamson for a pitch he & Kevin Grevioux gave at marvel back in '09

For those not familiar with Grey's incredible art check out his website: https://www.carbon-fibre.me/ He also did the original character design for dc's Mr. Terrific (the Michael Holt version).
    That Josiah X?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    or at all

Im just waiting for the butthurt white blogger thinkpieces

as if we (black people) give a good gotdamb what they think
    I'm seeing stuff already although it's been more video stuff, but yeah...so far it's been "Why are people so obsessed with Identity Politics?"..."This movie is an attempt by the liberals to indoctrinate blacks"...and both alt-right and pro blacks saying "Black people shouldn't so excited because BP was created by white jews".

Ben Shapiro just put something up but I can't watch it yet since I'm at work...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    and both alt-right and pro blacks saying "Black people shouldn't so excited because BP was created by white jews".
    I'm seeing this a lot as well lately, including people saying Stan has no right to make a cameo

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    I find Kevin work to be more miss than hit ( occasionally tone deaf) so I prefer a different writer.
    True, quite. Which is a shame.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Mighty Member

I'm seeing stuff already although it's been more video stuff, but yeah...so far it's been "Why are people so obsessed with Identity Politics?"..."This movie is an attempt by the liberals to indoctrinate blacks"...and both alt-right and pro blacks saying "Black people shouldn't so excited because BP was created by white jews".

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I'm seeing this a lot as well lately, including people saying Stan has no right to make a cameo
    The “Not-Sure-If-Serious” meme will hopefully be seeing a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    The “Not-Sure-If-Serious” meme will hopefully be seeing a lot of use.
    Like with Vivica Fox saying Marvel should donate 25% of the film's profits to black communities?

I knew that if anything was going to piss off those numbskulls it would be the fact that BP was created by Jewish guys. I have no idea why hoteps are so anti-Semitic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Like with Vivica Fox saying Marvel should donate 25% of the film's profits to black communities?
    Yet Auntie Viv has not asked the weave industry who gets over a billion from our women.

Where was this petition for Hidden Colors, Blade, Moonlight, Dope, Dear White People, Creed and others to do the same?

And in the TECHNICAL sense Disney is doing that if you show at Target who gives back to the communities with your purchases.

I knew that if anything was going to piss off those numbskulls it would be the fact that BP was created by Jewish guys. I have no idea why hoteps are so anti-Semitic.
    They are MAD because its a black character created by whites getting all the attention.

Notice they are NOT putting money together to "show" Marvel how it is done by investing in a black created character and doing everything we see with Panther. But that would mean doing WORK and those guys are not looking to do that.

Ultimate Member

Didn't watch it all -- just posting it. I'd only heard about this guy from other people, and from what I heard I was expecting a lot better.

Can only deal with so much stupidity in a day, and the first few sentences were enough for my recommended daily dose.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-14-2018 at 04:33 PM.