Default Golden Age/Silver Age Reading Order

Does anyone know of a resource for a good, curated reading order Batman in the Golden and Silver Age? I'm thinking of a list that includes primarily just first appearances and any issues that are generally accepted to be worth reading or important. I've tried searching for a while for a list like this (or even a list of Batman appearances in publication order that I could dig through) and there seems to be a bit of a dearth of interest in this kind of thing. The best place I've found is Comic Book Reading Orders, but they're lists pre-Crisis are pretty lacking. Following just Batman, within a span of five issues we skip from DC #27 to O'Neil's run in the '70s skipping the first appearances of Robin, Alfred, and nearly all of Batman's villains. (For the record, their lists post-Crisis are pretty good, but that's not what I'm digging for).

Anyone know of anywhere that provides such a list or will I be stuck digging through issues myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Does anyone know of a resource for a good, curated reading order Batman in the Golden and Silver Age? I'm thinking of a list that includes primarily just first appearances and any issues that are generally accepted to be worth reading or important.
    That's a tall order since opinions can easily vary on what's "worth reading".

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's a tall order since opinions can easily vary on what's "worth reading".
    Well sure, I'd defer to whoever made the list since they, well, made the list. I'm open to just about anything at this point if it exists.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I got no list but if it's just first appearance you only need to wiki each character and make the list yourself.
    The worth reading list is harder, but I'd recommend looking to which issues have been collected in various paperbacks ever published and make your list from there. The 75th Anniversary collections would be the best place to start. It's the most recent.
    Other than that, since the Silver and Golden Age collections offer at least 10 issues per paperback, you can just buy and read all of them without thinking too much about the reading order.

The Reading Order I know so far would be:
    Superman Golden Age Vol. 1 onward
    Batman Golden Age Vol. 1 onward
    Superman and Batman in World's Finest Silver Age Vol. 1 onward
    Justice League Silver Age Vol. 1 onward
    Teen Titans Silver Age Vol. 1 onward

Yeah, I'll probably have to do that. I was just hoping someone else will have already done the work, ha. There is a massive reading list on Reddit for Spider-Man that I finished working through and I was hoping something existed like that for Batman somewhere. Looks like I'll need to do a little more work myself this time, though.

Thanks for the input!

As there doesn't seem to be a good, curated list of Golden and Silver age Batman stories, I'm trying to throw something together. First appearances are easy enough, but tracking down some worthwhile stories is a little harder. Anyone have any favorites they would like to share that you believe should be included on a list of this type?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Besides what I already mentioned, there are Batman, Catwoman, Robin, Joker, and Two-Face 75th-anniversary volumes, Batgirl and Teen Titans 50th anniversary volumes, and the Batman Arkham volumes, each volumes featuring each villains like Hugo Strange, Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Man-Bat, Penguin, Riddler, Joker's daughter...
    All of these include issues from the golden age to the modern day.

Ah, that's a good thought. The Omnibuses previously mentioned contain everything, so that kind of defeats the purpose of a curated list to sift through some of the garbage. But those anniversary volumes would be a great resource to picking out what DC, at least, thinks would be the essential stories for those different characters. Thanks!