Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Your Superman bliss

As Superman addicts or fanatics (I consider myself one), What story or movie or cartoon or episode gives you that completely happy feeling or 'FIX' or bliss as a fan of the character?

Mention at least one or a few more if you want.

I think for me the recent 'The Death of Superman' animated movie really gives me a very satisfying feeling that I'm watching something amazing with my fave character. I'll think of more.

Edit: Also, All Star Superman, both the comic and the movie make me so happy. He feels so bigger than life.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-06-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

All-Star Superman (the movie), the Man of Steel movie and Superman: Secret Origin.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I usually take longer than most to read comics (30 minutes poring over modern comics where I think a lot of people mention 10-15) but with many Superman comics I put the issue down every page or two to think. It's a kind of bliss for me with like 90% of the stories I have.

Earlier today I was digging through a drawer and then ended up flipping through a copy of Man of Steel #89 I found. It's probably my favorite comic and I was happy through the second half of the day having it fresh in mind.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

For comics, I really liked how superman reborn wrapped up and the era between that storyline up till bendis(whose run I am enjoying for the most part.). That reborn era had some closure for the new 52 superman(which is how I became a superman fan), the super family was doing good, Superman had my favorite costume he's worn yet in comics..just a good time to be a fan IMO.

For movies, honestly I did not care for a lot of what bruce timm did so that rules out a lot. Most recently, the 2018 death of superman movie was really enjoyable and the first time in a while I honestly had nothing bad to nitpick about with something superman related. The film did a great job on the chemistry with superman and lois, gave actual closure to clark and diana(unlike how it was done in the comics) + there was no trunks on his costume !

My tv moment bliss has to be the last 2 seasons of smallville, I binge watched the entire show for the first time when I bought the complete series a few years ago, and the show dragged on a lot but it really caught it's groove once those daily planet episodes started. Saying that though, i did love the lois and clark show as well. Currently doing a rewatch of that on the DC Universe since I never finished the last season.

The Wedding Album. Action 700. Action Comics 1 (original and Morrison both). Superman saving the plane in Superman Returns. Superman fighting the League in the JL movie (cathartic, after BvS). The Fleisher cartoons. All-Star. Tomasi's Superman.....7? where the Kents go to the town fair.

Every time I hear the John Williams score.

Great thread, by the way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The Mechanical Monsters from the Fliesher Superman cartoons is simply amazing...

Morrison & Quitely's All Star Superman is simply unsurpassed as far as the comics go...

Christopher Reeve's first night as Superman from the Donner film is one of my favorites in terms of tone and fun...

In terms of visualizing Superman on the screen, Zack Snyder nailed it here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Great thread, by the way.
    Agreed.

Astonishing Member

Comics

Superman Takes a Wife (Action #484)
    The Life Story of Superman (Action # 500)

Live Action

Lois/Clark banter between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher
    Cain's little Superman moments in the first season (playing all the positions on a baseball diamond, competing against Bo Jackson, …)
    Chris Reeve's Clark->Superman->Clark moment in Lois' apartment
    Ron Ely as a retired Superman in an Episode of the 1990-ish Superboy series.

Numerous online recreations of the "You've Got Possibilities" scene in the Superman musical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Comics

Superman Takes a Wife (Action #484)
    The Life Story of Superman (Action # 500)

Live Action

Lois/Clark banter between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher
    Cain's little Superman moments in the first season (playing all the positions on a baseball diamond, competing against Bo Jackson, …)
    Chris Reeve's Clark->Superman->Clark moment in Lois' apartment
    Ron Ely as a retired Superman in an Episode of the 1990-ish Superboy series.

Numerous online recreations of the "You've Got Possibilities" scene in the Superman musical.
    I've somehow never seen this SO issue, but now I have to own it. Was it ever collected anywhere?
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I guess I should probably answer the question lol My Superman bliss, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Superman, is the Triangle Era (including Exile & post-Exile stories). The entire period. However, that's a bit of a cheat, so some of my personal favorite "bliss" moments/things:

• The 'Man of Steel' movie

• Superman vs Superman, "Lois & Clark" episode 'Vatman'

• S:TM, when he finds Lois dead in the car and the way he gently rests her head on the ground, worried he'll hurt her further

• The shirt rip, 'Justice League' (2017)

• Superman vol 2 #75, as weird as that sounds

• The cover image to Superman 75, with the torn cape. My favorite comic cover of all time.

• And this little spot in my living room:

F5603221-FEFF-4A9A-8D11-6649A5018D5F.jpg
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member

Probably reading the first Superman Golden Age collection. Everything I had learned about Superman up to that point went up in smoke that day and undid the concept of people who claimed to "get" the character.

Also Superman in Final Crisis. No one since then has surpassed how Supes came off in that story, not even Morrison himself.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition. First one always gets me on the Flight scene, counting the entire dialogue with Jor-El prior to that, because everything he says to his son captures the entirety of Superman to me. Second one always gets me at This Is My World moment, I'm a sucker for beautiful and epic sacrifices, especially when a hero does that after a rather rough road of self discovery and it is especially cool when this sacrifice made an impact on the entire world and reformed Batman from antagonist to a hero with hope. When I watch MoS and BvS in a row as a single story, it pleases me a lot as Superman fan.

Smallville is bumpy road, but it is still a 10 seasons of bliss to me.

Superman Unbound is hands down the best and my favorite animated movie, Death of Superman stands right next to it.

As for comics I would say that Superman: Last Son of Krypton is what definitely my bliss. Both stories of that book define this character. Superman For Tomorrow is an aristic bliss, so far most beautifully drawn Superman story I have read. All-Star Superman, Superman Unchained and Superman Earth-One would complete a blissful list of comics.

Everything that is Superman and Lois Lane is an infinite source of bliss.

Superman is a bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Every time I hear the John Williams score.
    I attended John Williams in Concert at the Royal Albert Hall last month and, after the interval, when they started the Superman March most of the audience stood and cheered.

It was the only score they stood for (before settling down and enjoying the performance). There cheers for Indiana Jones (when they finally played it) but Superman was the one most of the audience stood and cheered for.

It warmed me so much.