Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Xena is not relevant anymore people.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    I'm not getting your context but...No...
    The context would b Wolverine's parodied to death catch phrase about him being the best there is at what he does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Just because WW came first, it doesnt mean that she deserves anything. She doesnt even exist, she's a made up person. First also doesnt mean best, nor does it mean that people in the year 2500 should have the same taste in stories as people in the 1950ies. And of course it all depends on how DC handles her. Right now they're trying to bring her back to the forefront, but who knows? Maybe in 10 years she'll surpass batman in popularity, maybe she will be forgotten altogether.

In any case, i think i like Buffy and her Buffyverse more than WW. It's a matter of taste after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Why it should? If it doesn't, it Xena's merit and the fact Wonder Woman didn't do anything to deserve it.
    it's not like WW can give herself a tv show or something else.

I don't think anyone here understood me. I really think she was left behind by warner/DC that took so much time to do something with WW. Being the first doesn't really mean nothing if there isn't a good marketing and media presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I think you are just incorrect with this assumption. You don't see Xena action figures or lunch boxes or t-shirts ... You don't hear equal rights or gender equality advocates telling women to find their "inner Xena" ... We are told to be Wonder Women not Xenas. Xena is a very specific aspect of WW and occupies the "hot warrior chic" role, but she by no means encompasses all of what Diana has meant.
    I exagerate, Xena isn't the big icon than WW is. Buuuuut in other side she is the warrior greek woman in the people imaginary, it's no wonder people said she was looking like xena. Xena is not the hot warrior chick, she is really important to many people
    Last edited by Blacksun; 08-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    it's not like WW can give herself a tv show or something else.

I don't think anyone here understood me. I really think she was left behind by warner/DC that took so much time to do something with WW. Being the first doesn't really mean nothing if there isn't a good marketing and media presence.

I exagerate, Xena isn't the big icon than WW is. Buuuuut in other side she is the warrior greek woman in the people imaginary, it's no wonder people said she was looking like xena. Xena is not the hot warrior chick, she is really important to many people
    Part of the reason Xena occupies that role is because that is ALL she is ... Diana hasn't been portrayed as warrior Greek woman to a mainstream audience for nearly 40 years, her warrior and Greek myths background aren't something most broad audiences are even aware of. Xena's entire existence was built off of being a warlord ... Diana's most distinctive thing is Amazon, while inherently Greek, WW created a whole new myth around Amazons that isn't necessarily identified as "warriors" to the folks who remember the Lynda Carter show ... They were always depicted as olympic type athletes rather than just warrior women. In many ways WMM's GA version is what to this day is in the minds of people.

Part of the reason Xena occupies that role is because that is ALL she is ... Diana hasn't been portrayed as warrior Greek woman to a mainstream audience for nearly 40 years, her warrior and Greek myths background aren't something most broad audiences are even aware of. Xena's entire existence was built off of being a warlord ... Diana's most distinctive thing is Amazon, while inherently Greek, WW created a whole new myth around Amazons that isn't necessarily identified as "warriors" to the folks who remember the Lynda Carter show ... They were always depicted as olympic type athletes rather than just warrior women. In many ways WMM's GA version is what to this day is in the minds of people.
    And not just Olympic type athletes, but innocent and naive giggly Olympic type athletes.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

EVOLUTION OF WONDER WOMAN (not sure if it's been posted on CBR, if it has, it's worth repeating)

wonder_woman_s_wardrobe_by_glee_chan-d7so2ww.jpg

While I would've preferred a few metal rivets to simulate stars on the battle skirt, it's still obvious who Gal Gadot is portraying in this new costume--Wonder Woman!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    What if you're a Wonder Woman fan AND a Xena fan? I loved Xena when she was on TV. I'm in the process of collecting all her seasons.

I'm also a devout Wonder Woman fan. Yeah, I'd say I'm more of a Wonder Woman fan than a Xena fan. I certainly want Diana to show the world how Xena is merely a pale imitator of hers. But I certainly don't want to see Xena (or Wonder Woman) forgotten or ignored.
    Xena is far from a pale imitator of Wonder Woman. She is her own character in her own right. It would be like calling Wonder Woman a pale imitation of Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    The wedges do seem odd. I'm thinking they used them to make Gal appear 6 ft tall. I'm sorta surprised you don't support doing something (high heels?) to add height since WW is Amazon, who are known for height. Btw, Black Widow wore wedges in Avengers and I don't even remember them. But of course, with WW being the all-time most iconic super-heroine, it's only natural that people will pick apart every single detail about WW's casting and her costume, etc. Gal will certainly face more scrutiny than most live-action male supers, and more than any other female. Still, I'm with you, the wedges aren't the greatest idea.

For what it's worth, I'm not loving the belt.

Oh, and they probably did photoshop, probably to accentuate any muscles that Gal has obtained via training. I do the same thing with my own pics when I post to Facebook. I did several photos after I'd dieted and hired a trainer last year and it's amazing--even just with iPhoto--how you can creatively use shadows and contrast and filters to make the human body look way better than it actually is. So anyway, if I'm doing this with my own pics, I cannot blame Warner Bros. LOL

Last, I realize we don't always agree, but I know how much you love this character and really hope you end up liking this WW after seeing BvS.
    I loved the boots that Lynda wore, but it also threw me a little, even as a kid, when she wore the flats in an action scene right after showing her in heels. They should stay with flats for Gal's character. She is 5'9" which is tall for a woman. Otherwise, they should have cast a 6'0" or taller woman who doesn't need heels (Elle MacPherson fits the bill). I notice the flats/heels when I watch action scenes constantly. If you are careful you can see the stunt double for Michelle Pfeiffers Catwoman wearing flats.

The Black Widow needs some type of heels because she is very short. ScarJo is only 5'3". But the heels/wedges still is a stupid look for heroes that need to fight in them. What will be the grim and gritty (realistic) reason why Wonder Woman is fighting in wedges, especially if we see the stunt double wearing flats?

I really hope the colors 'pop' out on the screen instead of the brownish looking one we got at the comic-con. And hoping it is more vibrant than a really dark red and blue (got to be dark for it to be grim and gritty, I guess).

I hope she can act well. I know the action scenes will be good because I think Zac Synder does a really good job with them. Any actress as Wonder Woman will look fierce and badass under his direction of action scenes. Now we have to hope she can hit it out of the ballpark.

Good post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Xena is far from a pale imitator of Wonder Woman. She is her own character in her own right. It would be like calling Wonder Woman a pale imitation of Superman.
    I agree.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Here is yet another side by side comparison of WW and Xena. Aside from both costumes being brown and having the Greeco-Roman style; they look nothing alike.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-04-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Here is yet another side by side comparison of WW and Xena. Aside from both costumes being brown and having the Greeco-Roman style; they look nothing alike.

I agree, and anyway Xena's is not even brown. It's black xD
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    And not just Olympic type athletes, but innocent and naive giggly Olympic type athletes.
    exactly ... they were very clearly living in a world of peace and loving respect for each other. The training was part of the mental abilities all Amazons in the GA possessed because they worked hard to perfect themselves and realize their truly unlimited potential. It's one of the things that was slowly stripped away from them that has always bothered me. I'd really like for the film version to have at least some version of her Amazon skills/training as the source of her powers. IMO Amazaon training made her vastly more interesting since she could draw on so many skills, peak physical conditioning, fighting, healing, technology, negotiation ... whatever she needed to find a solution to her problem ... even Super Breath and various forms of telepathy!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    The Wonder Woman costume is read and blue with a sepia filter thrown over it. I mean, look at her skin colour.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The Wonder Woman costume is read and blue with a sepia filter thrown over it. I mean, look at her skin colour.
    Which still begs the question---Why did the director of the movie release the first picture of Wonder Woman for his movie with a filter on it? How many discerning viewers are going to realize that there is a filter on the photo? How many people seeing the photo will care that there is some sort of filtering going on, and instead just take the photo and the colors that they see at face value?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    I agree, and anyway Xena's is not even brown. It's black xD
    And Wonder Woman's isn't brown either. It's red and blue.

Wonder Woman.jpg
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.