Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Aquaman, Why?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Aquaman commands sea life and has other limited telepathic abilities... He has advanced technology... that's like... TWO more powers than Namor ever had, but for some reason nobody every drags out the 'I hate Namor' threads. Everyone seems to think HE's just awesome. Honestly, I've always hated Namor, but can get some enjoyment out of Aquaman... I just don't get it.

yeah... kinda. The dark hair, the angry beard and glares... Tatoos instead of armor? He's definitely claiming that 'This ain't your daddy's aquaman'. Which... is a strange concept since for many, 'your daddy's aquaman' skewered people with a hook hand...
    If that's what you consider "your daddy's Aquaman" then it's the same vibe they're going for.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, Superman absolutely is the defacto physical powerhouse. That, and the restraint it requires, are a big part of the innate themes and topics the character explores.

I tend to think of Orin as being at the Golden Age Superman level. He can throw a tank around and shrug off firearms, leap tall buildings.....he's near the top of the "middle tier" of power levels. Not on the same playing field as the big powerhouses like Clark and Diana and Hal, but more powerful than pretty much everyone else.

That's just physically of course; you add in his heightened senses, resources, and other powers, and he's on par with the biggest and best.
    I'm wondering if a lot of fans are up to date on his power levels. He's a lot stronger in the new 52. The new 52 has had Aquaman feats much stronger that throwing a tank. From the article MadFaceKid gave, Dan Abnet says...

I don’t think either of us is suggesting that Aquaman outclasses Superman, but he certainly can hold his own. I think he’s possibly the most likely member of the Justice League — with the exception of Wonder Woman — who can go toe-to-toe like that and stand even a chance of soaking it up and doing some damage.

Think back to Throne of Atlantis, he tusseled with Superman and Wonder Woman and its not like he was ever ko'ed or anything.

Incredible Member

Why? Because he's iconic as a DC character and as one of the JL members.

How useful he is is irrelevant (which he is btw). He's a fun character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    If that's what you consider "your daddy's Aquaman" then it's the same vibe they're going for.
    Nooooo my aquaman was older than that... but That's my point though. Hook hand Dark and gritty aquaman has been around around for over 20 years. but for some reason people want to dwell on the superfriends version. I mean... Batman and Robin sucked there too. Nobody holds that against them. So did Wonder Woman and pretty much everyone on that show.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I seriously don't remember Aquaman being the one drawing viewers' ridicule back in the day.

That was directed more towards Wendy/Marvin/Supermutt/the Wonder Twins/Space Monkey.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I seriously don't remember Aquaman being the one drawing viewers' ridicule back in the day.

That was directed more towards Wendy/Marvin/Supermutt/the Wonder Twins/Space Monkey.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Agreed. Aquaman was barely even a main character it seemed. If he showed up... Water was involved and his powers were important. If he wasn't needed... he just wasn't at the hall fo justice that day like Hawkman and Green Lantern.

Anyone remember when the ridicule actually started?? I know it gets drug up in places like Big Bang theory and stuff... but it's been around a LOT longer than that show...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Agreed. Aquaman was barely even a main character it seemed. If he showed up... Water was involved and his powers were important. If he wasn't needed... he just wasn't at the hall fo justice that day like Hawkman and Green Lantern.

Anyone remember when the ridicule actually started?? I know it gets drug up in places like Big Bang theory and stuff... but it's been around a LOT longer than that show...
    I don't know how accurate it is but I think it started with Boomerang and Cartoon Network showing older cartoons, and taking the opportunity to poke fun.

From there I think Family Guy drew inspiration (with the "why don't you come over here, in the water?" skit), and it kind of snowballed. I don't know if it happened any earlier.

Aquaman commands sea life and has other limited telepathic abilities... He has advanced technology... that's like... TWO more powers than Namor ever had, but for some reason nobody every drags out the 'I hate Namor' threads. Everyone seems to think HE's just awesome. Honestly, I've always hated Namor, but can get some enjoyment out of Aquaman... I just don't get it.

yeah... kinda. The dark hair, the angry beard and glares... Tatoos instead of armor? He's definitely claiming that 'This ain't your daddy's aquaman'. Which... is a strange concept since for many, 'your daddy's aquaman' skewered people with a hook hand...
    Dark hair is not grim dark and how can a beard be angry? For that matter, the fact he doesn't have a hook hand arguably makes him less grim dark than the 90s version. Again, Wan has already promised Aquaman won't be like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    I'm wondering if a lot of fans are up to date on his power levels. He's a lot stronger in the new 52. The new 52 has had Aquaman feats much stronger that throwing a tank. From the article MadFaceKid gave, Dan Abnet says...

I don’t think either of us is suggesting that Aquaman outclasses Superman, but he certainly can hold his own. I think he’s possibly the most likely member of the Justice League — with the exception of Wonder Woman — who can go toe-to-toe like that and stand even a chance of soaking it up and doing some damage.

Think back to Throne of Atlantis, he tusseled with Superman and Wonder Woman and its not like he was ever ko'ed or anything.
    On top of that though I really don't think Aquaman neccesarily got a physical boost in the New52. All I think really happened is writers started staying consistent with Johns power placement in his ever so loving run.

The first time Johns ever wrote Aquaman, was Pre-Flashpoint and his power placement of Aquaman was typically higher than the norm placement.
    http://m.imgur.com/a/vUhDg

The thing also is even though Aquaman didn't have the feats Wonder Woman, and Superman had Pre-Crisis where he was chucking absurd land masses. In a fight he'd still be able to hold his own against League Busters.
    http://m.imgur.com/a/Fz5SZ

spoilers:
    It's weird though cause I feel each continuity focuses on something different for Aquaman.
    Pre-Crisis: He was probably at his fastest, his speed was consistently compared to lightning, and he showed to be faster than that at times against Weather Wizard and Electric Man. There was also an instance where Superman lost track of a swimming Aquaman and this Aquaman said he could trail Wonder Woman by sea. He used Sea-Life a lot as well.

Post-Crisis: His durability was eventually starting to get more consistent, his strength might of been a little wavy. He had awesome Telepathy that seemed to carry over from the Detroit Era where he was using it on his teammates.

Flashpoint: This is pretty much where the whole thing starts being barred up to Diana in the comics atleast.

Post-Flashpoint: Strength and Durability is better by a few showings, at the least more consistent, Trident is standard, His speed though at best is Hypersonic, He Super Leaps more often now in greater distances, His senses are played up, Loses his Telepathic abilities on non-Sea-Life at least for the most part.
    end of spoilers

Here's a composite respect thread still in the making by the way.
    http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums...hread-1774986/

Usually the answer is Superfriends because he could not do much more than talking to fish and riding dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Dark hair is not grim dark and how can a beard be angry? For that matter, the fact he doesn't have a hook hand arguably makes him less grim dark than the 90s version. Again, Wan has already promised Aquaman won't be like that.
    Really??

You don't think that THIS....

AQUAMAN-1.jpg

Looks darker and more savage then THIS....

dc_aquaman_2.jpg

I'd even rather meet THIS in a dark alley.
    tumblr_ls5v6aYcEH1qc9wc7.jpg

Movie version just has that "i'm going to kill you... then maybe Eat you because... meh, circle of life!' look to him.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    On top of that though I really don't think Aquaman neccesarily got a physical boost in the New52. All I think really happened is writers started staying consistent with Johns power placement in his ever so loving run.

The first time Johns ever wrote Aquaman, was Pre-Flashpoint and his power placement of Aquaman was typically higher than the norm placement.
    http://m.imgur.com/a/vUhDg

The thing also is even though Aquaman didn't have the feats Wonder Woman, and Superman had Pre-Crisis where he was chucking absurd land masses. In a fight he'd still be able to hold his own against League Busters.
    http://m.imgur.com/a/Fz5SZ
    I wasn't very fond of seeing bullets bounce of him. There were too many stories of him being bitten by fish and sea life and swords and harpoons and stuff to justify him being THAT durable. It felt like a power boost/retcon to try to prove to people that he was REALLY A-list and not a joke... instead of using the power levels at what they were...

But I always hate when they take away power limitations. I'd rather see a hero outthink his weaknesses then just ignore them. It's been a trope for years though... that if a hero isn't popular... boost their power.

There's no doubt that the film is taking some of the edge from the PAD 90's run in the costume design.

And is that really a bad thing?

This movie has to not only appeal to a wider audience than just comic fans, it has to overcome a very entrenched, negative stereotype in pop culture.

They could achieve this with a clean-cut Orin wearing an orange shirt. But in order to get over those preconceived notions, people would have to see the movie in the first place, and Aquaman's classic look isnt going to help do that. Jason Mamoa in the 90's costume is something that will make people take a second look. And that's all it has to do; once you get people curious they'll find their way to the cinema, and once they've sat down you can hit them over the head with how awesome "normal" Aquaman is. But you gotta get their attention first, and Mamoa's costume is doing that.

And let's be honest, Aquaman has always had a dark streak. His infant son was murdered. Nothing done in the "grimdark" 90's run ever came close to that. What's the worst that happened there? Orin lost a hand? That's nothing compared to the nightmare of having your infant son (and heir to a throne!) murdered. I cannot imagine a worse hell than that. There's a long history of treason and personal betrayal in his stories and Arthur himself is often written as having a pretty depressing attitude, running between "stoic" and "bipolar" depending on the issue at hand.

Aquaman's not the super happy guy that people think he is. He just dresses that way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Ramona Fradon's Aquaman is my favourite.

Here's the thing. If they really film underwater for most of the movie and make it look real and give the audience the visceral experience of being underwater, surrounded by undersea creatures--some very dangerous--then that will be the grim and shocking effect.

I wonder if we're getting Jason Mamoa looking very un-blond and un-orange, because they don't have the effects to really pull off that deep water sensation. So they have to rely on a surface dwelling Aquaman with baleful looks as compensation.

BANNED

I wasn't very fond of seeing bullets bounce of him. There were too many stories of him being bitten by fish and sea life and swords and harpoons and stuff to justify him being THAT durable. It felt like a power boost/retcon to try to prove to people that he was REALLY A-list and not a joke... instead of using the power levels at what they were...

But I always hate when they take away power limitations. I'd rather see a hero outthink his weaknesses then just ignore them. It's been a trope for years though... that if a hero isn't popular... boost their power.
    The thing is he didn't really get a power boost. You could read Pre-Crisis stories of him doing well against other heavy hitters. Against other top notch characters I'd say he might have better vs feats before Flashpoint. The thing is the New52 just got more consistent to it.

Think Bulletproof and look at his first appearance in stuff like this

And there's stuff Post-Crisis before John's coming in like this
    http://m.imgur.com/TzFyZvL

Saying Sea-Life can harm or stand up to Aquaman doesn't mean much when they can Knock out Superwoman, Harm Despero, Green Lantern, Cause an Island sized tsunami, or no sell a punch from Captain Atom.

To be honest I'd rather Aquaman focus on other abilities like his physicals, intelligence, telepathy, command of fictional creatures, trident powers played up rather than seeing him save the day by insane means with Whales or Sharks cause rarely is it done in a way that sounds logical. Pre-Crisis read like the first 10 issues of Justice League of America and about half or so have Aquaman saving the world with Whales, fish, dolphins or some other marine animal.

This is cool
    http://m.imgur.com/a/HurzS
    http://m.imgur.com/ShCgyvg
    http://m.imgur.com/qjvbXVd

This is a bit silly

http://m.imgur.com/Epy81UJ

I wouldn't mind if it was said Sea-Life is amped under Aquaman's TP or simply DC Sea-Life is more powerful but otherwise by real world standards a whale no selling a punch from Captain Atom is silly if we hold the whale to real life standards. Aquaman being harmed by Sea-Life doesn't come off to bad when others have just the same though is my point.

Really??

You don't think that THIS....

AQUAMAN-1.jpg

Looks darker and more savage then THIS....

dc_aquaman_2.jpg

I'd even rather meet THIS in a dark alley.
    tumblr_ls5v6aYcEH1qc9wc7.jpg

Movie version just has that "i'm going to kill you... then maybe Eat you because... meh, circle of life!' look to him.

We haven't actually seen Momoa's Aquaman in the movie. How he looks does not dictate how he acts. Wolverine wears more clothes and doesn't have tatoos yet is more savage than most versions of Aquaman.

Boy you must hate every version of Superman past the Golden Age.