Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I agree on Morrison but idk I never liked Johns' TT
    He did do Tim a bit creepy for a while, but overall, I found it a fun book.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Peter David on Aquaman

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'm gonna say Tynnion for Cass. She is an easy character to mishandle, it was risky, and even though he didn't write a definitive run on her or anything, he laid a solid foundation.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    What..? Why?

What..? Why?

It's really simple. Barry Allen is my Flash and i was happy that he was pretty much rescued from obscurity. Barry to most people was simply a footnote.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    It's really simple. Barry Allen is my Flash and i was happy that he was pretty much rescued from obscurity. Barry to most people was simply a footnote.
    Amen! I will forever be grateful to the powers that finally lifted the ridiculous twenty-year embargo on Barry Allen and reversed the damage done to Hal Jordan during the 1990s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

After buying the Zero issue of STARMAN (which I didn't even bother to read at the time), I stayed away from the comic for a couple of years, believing it disrespected the past and was trying to be trendy with a slacker super-hero that slagged off all the classic super-heroes. It was only profound curiosity that got me to pick up issue 29, thanks to its cover, and then I realized I was all wrong about what James Robinson was trying to do. He actually respected not just the JSA but all kinds of DC genre characters--and when he got around to bringing Ralph Dibny and Sue into the story, he treated them like the great characters they deserved to be.

Bane: Gail Simone & Tom King. Though very different versions, they hold what makes the character interesting and proved that there're still interesting things to do with him in a time when most stories he appeared at, he was forgettable.

Green Arrow: Kevin Smith for bringing him back to life. Jeff Lemire for making him interesting after the New 52. Before Dennis O'neil I don't feel attracted to the character, but since I have barely read anything with GA before GL/GA, I can't say O'neil "rescued" the character for me.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Amen! I will forever be grateful to the powers that finally lifted the ridiculous twenty-year embargo on Barry Allen and reversed the damage done to Hal Jordan during the 1990s.
    The movie kind of did more damage to him than Parallax ever did tho. In both instances it took a handful of incompetent idiots to destroy a classic character in no time. Twice.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The movie kind of did more damage to him than Parallax ever did tho. In both instances it took a handful of incompetent idiots to destroy a classic character in no time. Twice.
    The movie didn't really hurt the comics much. Hal is still alive and a Green Lantern, which is better than he was between 1994 and 2005. He's even appeared frequently in animation, something that didn't happen during the DCAU years.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Geoff Johns definitely deserves credit for Hawkman, considering he was a major player in resurrecting him from a nearly decade-long limbo. That said, though, I also feel that Johns held other writers thereafter back from allowing Hawkman (and Hawkgirl) to progress from the point at which he reintroduced him. So it's almost a wash for me.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Johns has done a lot of great work in restoring DC’s icons. Most recently Aquaman.

Morrison with Doom Patrol, JLA, and Superman.

One on my list would be David Walker and Ivan Reis with Cyborg. They gave him an amazing design and a lot more confidence. But of course DC trashed all the improvements and put him back in his generic look and same old role.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Geoff Johns definitely deserves credit for Hawkman, considering he was a major player in resurrecting him from a nearly decade-long limbo.
    Not to quibble, but don't David S. Goyer, James Robinson, Stephen Sadowski and Rags Morales deserve a share of the credit? One of my favourite issues of the HAWKMAN run was issue 7 set in the Old West by James Robinson, Rags Morales and Tim Truman. When Robinson left after the first ten issue, I felt like something vital was lost. Maybe Geoff Johns needs a co-plotter to control his worst impulses.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

While I do agree with all of the examples given here, it's unfortunate that most of these characters have since been mishandled again (to some degree or another)...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Bryan Q. Miller and Stephanie Brown.

agreed with several of the posts above... and still looking for that savior to swoop in and rescue the legion from obscurity.

i understand the sentiment behind thanking geoff johns for flash: rebirth, but man. what a difficult, ugly road that followed soon there after. his barry was not great (imo), and the new 52 series was one of mankind's greatest travesties. i'm tempted to list williamson here as a savior not because i think his work on the current flash series is groundbreaking, but even a slightly above-average run on flash is leaps and bounds better than almost everything that we've seen since johns' take on wally west wrapped.