Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    What "bogus [snip]
    in case you can't tell, i will not be moved on this. i feel one way about Hank Pym hitting Jan. spare me your justifications.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    in case you can't tell, i will not be moved on this. i feel one way about Hank Pym hitting Jan. spare me your justifications.
    Good for you. Next time don't bother making accusations if you have zero intention of engaging in open-minded conversation.

It's not quite that Austen brought it up at all, but it's like you said he suddenly out-of-nowhere made it a hot topic issue again for no real reason other than to scapegoat the character. He had Hank's teammates glaring at him like they were afraid he was going to just snap and start beating up Janet at any second. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I guess it was so that he could then lead into having Janet cheat on Hank with Hawkeye, who was suddenly all "you better not hurt her, Hank", and seemed to look at him like he was absolutely disgusted by being on the same team as Hank. This was despite the fact that Clint was one of the very few guys that ALWAYS stood up for and trusted Hank after the original incident. It was just so incredibly terrible I couldn't believe it.
    Exactly. This was a case where the writer wanted shove his own issues down people's throat. This is the type of thing where I feel like publishers and editors should step in cause all of them all they are are custodians of this beloved library of characters. And what Austen(and others) did was damaging to readers enjoying these characters and stories.

great. but it doesn't address her saying to Hank that she'd never remarry him. she isn't interested. and they are a bad couple (see lead-up to Secret Invasion). let go of nostalgia. stop trying to make it work.
    Didn't the first and only-time hit happened in the 60s?

Before the Austen early 2000 stuff, Hank and Janet had been together since the 70s. And very happy. And if I remember, the run just before Austen, there was an issue where Hank shrank inside Janet! lol

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The one and only time Hank was shown as being physically, emotionally, and psychologically abusive towards Janet was 1983.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Steve didn't say "no." Kobik just did what she did (and didn't do what she didn't) on her own. Kobik not resetting everything was an opportunity that Marvel had and didn't go with, so it follows this thread's topic.
    Fair Enough. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The one and only time Hank was shown as being physically, emotionally, and psychologically abusive towards Janet was 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Didn't the first and only-time hit happened in the 60s?

Before the Austen early 2000 stuff, Hank and Janet had been together since the 70s. And very happy. And if I remember, the run just before Austen, there was an issue where Hank shrank inside Janet! lol
    nostalgia glasses. their relationship started dysfunctional and ended dysfunctional. they were always mismatched. he liked her because, from his perspective, she was a younger version of his dead ex wife. she liked him because he swooped right in to replace her murdered scientist father (and was 20 years older, btw). it was just tolerated because of the era. people thought it was cute to see a level-headed man and a flightly young woman paired together. he did all of her thinking for her. she flirted with every male that came into her orbit; to emphasize her immaturity.

Good for you. Next time don't bother making accusations if you have zero intention of engaging in open-minded conversation.

it's always going to come down to what the individual is willing to tolerate. what message does Jan getting back together with Hank send? and it's weird how Hank is allowed to move on. he's had relationships with Firebird, Tigra, Alice Nugent, and Rita Demara. why is it so important that Janet be back in his collection?
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-19-2018 at 02:31 PM.

I'm glad you posted all that from the issue. Because the claims that it was an artistic mistake that he hit her is nonsense. Maybe the intent wasn't to make it as big as it was, but there is no doubt in my mind that Jim Shooter intended to show an abusive relationship in that issue.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

^I don't remember who was chairperson, at this time. but they failed miserably. just imagine if this kind of stuff was happening at your workplace. it would be dealt with. these are supposed to be professionals.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

^I don't remember who was chairperson, at this time. but they failed miserably. just imagine if this kind of stuff was happening at your workplace. it would be dealt with. these are supposed to be professionals.
    Judging by his own words in the last panel, Captain America himself was the chairperson of the Avengers at the time. "As chairman, I feel as though I should do something . . . but what? It --- it's a family matter!" His own words, exactly as quoted from the page. Combined with what happened to Carol Danvers with Marcus . . . maybe the Avengers are due for an HR eval?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The "it's a family matter" and "it's unseemly" are sadly very common reactions (particularly reactions at the time).