Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I don't see how this movie doesn't make $1 billion. EVERYTHING is lining up for it to.

Its Summer schedule is light on competition for at least 2-3 weeks, right?
    It's Spiderman.
    It's the first big MCU movie from Endgame.
    Every MCU movie has been bringing in more and more money as the brand solidifies further and further after every movie.
    It's Spiderman in the middle of Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I don't see how this movie doesn't make $1 billion. EVERYTHING is lining up for it to.

Its Summer schedule is light on competition for at least 2-3 weeks, right?
    It's Spiderman.
    It's the first big MCU movie from Endgame.
    Every MCU movie has been bringing in more and more money as the brand solidifies further and further after every movie.
    It's Spiderman in the middle of Summer!
    Sorry read the date wrong yeah Lion King comes out in the 19th so 17 days with no big challenger.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 05-17-2019 at 09:13 PM.

It's possible, maybe even more possible than Endgame topping James Cameron's Avatar gross.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it has a real shot. Like others have said it has everything going for it to reach a billion. The right release date, being a follow up to the biggest movie in the last 20 years, all the good will from the last movie, ect. If every a Spider Man movie had the potential to cross the billion dollar mark it is this one. Plus the trailers have been very well received too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I think it will get a huge boost as a result of being the next MCU movie after Endgame, like Iron Man 3 after the first Avengers movie.

I just don't feel like it can hit $1 billion dollars.
    IM3 made one billion. I think that will be the case for FFH as well.

While it wouldn't shock me if it makes a billion with the roll the MCU is on I think it will come up short.

Its pretty obvious that there is real Spider Man fatigue going on. Too many reboots. He's Marvel's flagship character and beyond any argument one of the most 4 iconic superheroes in existence yet Homecoming failed to break a billion and to be fair underwhelmed when you consider the boost it got with the extended Iron Man cameos and MCU tie in.

I guess the only wildcard is whether Endgame gives it a boost. Endgame certainly boosted Captain Marvel because people felt it was essential viewing for Endgame but I'm not sure how much that will effect this movie coming after.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The right release date, being a follow up to the biggest movie in the last 20 years, all the good will from the last movie, ect.
    Biggest?

Its not even going to come close to Force Awakens domestically and its yet to be seen if it can eke past Avatar globally. After opening weekend Endgame had a 110 million lead on Force Awakens but has dropped far more rapidly than Force Awakens did so that it now trails Force Awakens by 33 million at the same point of release and is only going to fall further behind as Endgame starts moving out of theaters to make room for other summer releases. It only needs about 250 million more to beat Avatar's worldwide take and we should know after this weekend if its possible or not. Its certainly one of the 3 biggest movies of the last 20 years but Force Awakens and Avatar both have their owns stakes to that claim.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 05-18-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Into the Spider-Verse didn't do very well at the box office (which is a shame, because it was pretty damn good).
    Yeah, but that had the weight of previous Sony movies weighing it down probably. But thanks to positive word of mouth, and it winning an award, I can easily see the sequel doing much better assuming they keep the quality that high going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    While it wouldn't shock me if it makes a billion with the roll the MCU is on I think it will come up short.

Its pretty obvious that there is real Spider Man fatigue going on. Too many reboots. He's Marvel's flagship character and beyond any argument one of the most 4 iconic superheroes in existence yet Homecoming failed to break a billion and to be fair underwhelmed when you consider the boost it got with the extended Iron Man cameos and MCU tie in.

I guess the only wildcard is whether Endgame gives it a boost. Endgame certainly boosted Captain Marvel because people felt it was essential viewing for Endgame but I'm not sure how much that will effect this movie coming after.
    800mil after coming off TAS 2 which was universally panned. I dont see where there is obvious fatigue. The movie was a hit with critics and audiences. To break a billion "usually" a movie needs to feel like an event. Being the first movie post Endgame could get it there but I dont know. Captain Marvel was MCU first female superhero film, Black Panther was a cultural movement. Spiderman HC was just a solid movie. I'd say Spideys stock is up higher now then it's been since before Spiderman 3. I dont know if its gonna make a billion but failing to do so doesnt mean theres fatigue.

BANNED

Default Spiderman: Far From Home

Early reviews are really positive. I'll be curious to hear what people think. I probably will have to wait a week or more to see it, but I'll be going at some point.

The goal would have to be to hit about the same mark as Captain Marvel with 150M opening weekend, but can it hit 1 billion?

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I’m going to go with yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    800mil after coming off TAS 2 which was universally panned. I dont see where there is obvious fatigue. The movie was a hit with critics and audiences. To break a billion "usually" a movie needs to feel like an event. Being the first movie post Endgame could get it there but I dont know. Captain Marvel was MCU first female superhero film, Black Panther was a cultural movement. Spiderman HC was just a solid movie. I'd say Spideys stock is up higher now then it's been since before Spiderman 3. I dont know if its gonna make a billion but failing to do so doesnt mean theres fatigue.
    He's Marvel's franchise character yet adjusted for inflation (so you have actual ticket sales) Homecoming only came in 13th out of 21 Marvel movies. To me that is disappointing results for the flagship character and lies firmly on franchise fatigue. Even without adjusting for inflation it only finished 4th of the 6 Spidey movies to date. Adjusting for inflation it really falls back of the far superior first three movies, even Spidey 3 which doesn't deserve the hate it gets - while flawed due to too many storylines going on meaning all were underdeveloped there were still some solid aspects to it.

BANNED

He's Marvel's franchise character yet adjusted for inflation (so you have actual ticket sales) Homecoming only came in 13th out of 21 Marvel movies. To me that is disappointing results for the flagship character and lies firmly on franchise fatigue. Even without adjusting for inflation it only finished 4th of the 6 Spidey movies to date. Adjusting for inflation it really falls back of the far superior first three movies, even Spidey 3 which doesn't deserve the hate it gets - while flawed due to too many storylines going on meaning all were underdeveloped there were still some solid aspects to it.
    Iron man is Marvel's franchise character in the MCU. Spiderman is nowhere close.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You really seem to want to twist things. Homecoming was the first SOLO Spider Man movie since the abysmal Amazing Spider-Man 2 which was just a total dumpster fire. Even with the good buzz coming from how Marvel handled him in Civil War a lot of people were still very iffy because of just how bad ASM 2 was, and the fact that it was the 3rd reboot of the character in 15 years. After it came out and people realized it was actually good it took a lot of the stink if the previous movies away. Now that people have seen Homecoming on top of the last two Avengers movies the Spider-Man hype has probably never been higher.

And to be clear Spider-Man 3 was a horrible movie. Even Rami is ashamed of how bad that thing turned out

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Iron man is Marvel's franchise character in the MCU. Spiderman is nowhere close.
    Iron Man is the MVP of the MCU.