Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How does everyone feel about Dani dropping Mirage as a codename and going back to Moonstar? I love it as thats what I originally knew her as when I was first introduced to her in X-Force

I love it... it sounds better when I’m reading it. But that’s my opinion

I'm not really for people using their last name as code name, but considering how often her powerset changes, it's probably better that way.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I like the Mirage codename, but it doesn't matter a lot to me. Actually, I liked Psyche better, but giving a Cheyenne Valkyrie a Greek name would be a bit much.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I like the Mirage codename, but it doesn't matter a lot to me. Actually, I liked Psyche better, but giving a Cheyenne Valkyrie a Greek name would be a bit much.
    Given she is also Valkyrie of Norse origin, adding Greek might be excessive...

I'm looking over her whole history, and as paranoid was it might sound, I wonder if Illyana and Dani, 'The Dream Team', each have similar powers, namely much like Franklin Richards, Proteus, Matthew Malloy, and other Reality Warpers, Hell Lords, perhaps even the Beyonders etc.

Which is to say, if a character has an unconscious and/or conscious connection to a splinter realm, a bubble universe not connected to our own universe through the regular three dimensions, but rather through portholes, dimensional bleeds etc, then similar effects might arise.

Illyana has stepping disks that connect, completely consciously controlled (but bleeds might occasionally happen, as in Inferno) but Dani seems to connect her pocket dimension (the native genocide realm of the demon bear) keyed through OTHER people's unconscious, kind of like a Genie Monkey's Paw who grants twisted wishes and makes nightmares come true.

When the Brood-Infected Charles Xavier boosted her way, WAY back in TNM v1 #3, she could alter reality directed by B.I.C.X., and later in X-Men vs Micronauts a similar bleed happened between Dani & Xavier ( plus Kitty and Baron Karza, or later Xavier & Magneto leading to Onslaught, the weirdness with Xavier's womb sister and Farouk etc, Karma and brother, yada yada)

The High Evolutionary gave Dani a narrow specific super boost, making each and every manifestation real (not illusionary), but only allowed one at a time.

I find the psychic arrow thing a rather silly reduction, just sort of nullified power vs pulling people into the demon-bear realm, or bribing people with vast treasures projected from orbit (as in the Gosymyr storyline).

And again, I stand by MoonStar ~ Moonstar ~ Monster

( monster from the id, as in Forbidden Planet, which featured a civilization building a wish-granting machine, which destroyed them almost overnight because of petty jealousies, momentary wishes etc lashing out from the unconscious through this Ultimate Genie Lamp.)

This is basically the same as the Twilight Zone episode, "It's Good Life", originally a short story, in which a child is born, immediately pulling a town into a pocket dimension where the child is telepathic, omniscient, omnipotent, but the wishes go terribly wrong due to youthful ignorance.

Thereafter everyone must enjoy everything exactly the way it is, with no criticism or 'ideas for improvement', else they eventually end up 'in the cornfield' as things Warp out of control.

"Yeah, that's good, that's REAL GOOD, Anthony, that you turned them into... That.

"Now wouldn't it be good if you sent it to the cornfield?"
    Last edited by G0RM; 12-20-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post

I'm looking over her whole history, and as paranoid was it might sound, I wonder if Illyana and Dani, 'The Dream Team', each have similar powers, namely much like Franklin Richards, Proteus, Matthew Malloy, and other Reality Warpers, Hell Lords, perhaps even the Beyonders etc.

Which is to say, if a character has an unconscious and/or conscious connection to a splinter realm, a bubble universe not connected to our own universe through the regular three dimensions, but rather through portholes, dimensional bleeds etc, then similar effects might arise.

Illyana has stepping disks that connect, completely consciously controlled (but bleeds might occasionally happen, as in Inferno) but Dani seems to connect her pocket dimension (the native genocide realm of the demon bear) keyed through OTHER people's unconscious, kind of like a Genie Monkey's Paw who grants twisted wishes and makes nightmares come true.

When the Brood-Infected Charles Xavier boosted her way, WAY back in TNM v1 #3, she could alter reality directed by B.I.C.X., and later in X-Men vs Micronauts a similar bleed happened between Dani & Xavier ( plus Kitty and Baron Karza, or later Xavier & Magneto leading to Onslaught, the weirdness with Xavier's womb sister and Farouk etc, Karma and brother, yada yada)

The High Evolutionary gave Dani a narrow specific super boost, making each and every manifestation real (not illusionary), but only allowed one at a time.

I find the psychic arrow thing a rather silly reduction, just sort of nullified power vs pulling people into the demon-bear realm, or bribing people with vast treasures projected from orbit (as in the Gosymyr storyline).

( monster from the id, as in Forbidden Planet, which featured a civilization building a wish-granting machine, which destroyed them almost overnight because of petty jealousies, momentary wishes etc lashing out from the unconscious through this Ultimate Genie Lamp.)

This is basically the same as the Twilight Zone episode, "It's Good Life", originally a short story, in which a child is born, immediately pulling a town into a pocket dimension where the child is telepathic, omniscient, omnipotent, but the wishes go terribly wrong due to youthful ignorance.

Thereafter everyone must enjoy everything exactly the way it is, with no criticism or 'ideas for improvement', else they eventually end up 'in the cornfield' as things Warp out of control.

"Yeah, that's good, that's REAL GOOD, Anthony, that you turned them into... That.

Yeeeah Sounds more like Magik power's tho....that lil kid was such a Douche tho....
    And MoonStar soubss like they took 2 of the most common First Nation last names and mashed them together.... :/
    GrindrStone(D)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeeeah Sounds more like Magik power's tho....that lil kid was such a Douche tho....
    And MoonStar soubss like they took 2 of the most common First Nation last names and mashed them together.... :/
    I felt Dani was badass when depowered, when Valkyrie, and in the original, but psychic arrow just seems bleh to me.

The combination of psychic illusionist like Mastermind, plus the possibility of manifestation in reality was my favorite era (though, like Storm did, Dani kicked butt when depowered. I don't think Cannonball, Wolfsbane, or Amara could ever have done as much, but powerless Bobby still has the financial thing, given that wealth & masterminding are definitely superpowers.)

I felt Dani was badass when depowered, when Valkyrie, and in the original, but psychic arrow just seems bleh to me.

The combination of psychic illusionist like Mastermind, plus the possibility of manifestation in reality was my favorite era (though, like Storm did, Dani kicked butt when depowered. I don't think Cannonball, Wolfsbane, or Amara could ever have done as much, but powerless Bobby still has the financial thing, given that wealth & masterminding are definitely superpowers.)
    Danis power aren't the most comic friendly the psychic arrows made it easier for readers to see her power affect her enemies and saved panel time getting rid of the exposition of explaining why the gas guys are are outta commission and then then explaining/seeing their different fears...
    GrindrStone(D)

How does everyone feel about Dani dropping Mirage as a codename and going back to Moonstar? I love it as thats what I originally knew her as when I was first introduced to her in X-Force
    DREAMCATCHERfor the win.

(and her steed should be called Nightmare)
    Last edited by Thirteen; 12-21-2020 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Nightmare

If Dani is connected to any pocket dimension it's Nightmare's realm.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

All in favor. I never thought that "Psyche" was a good description of her powers, and Mirage -- while sounding native american -- is actually a French word. Closer, and a better description than Psyche, but not perfect.

"Moonstar" sounds super-heroic, and correct me if I'm wrong -- she's kind of gone with that for a long time. So either-or. Mirage or Moonstar both work, but the latter sounds cooler to me.

BTW, what is the story with her having the name Moonstar, but her parents both being named Lonestar?

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    All in favor. I never thought that "Psyche" was a good description of her powers, and Mirage -- while sounding native american -- is actually a French word. Closer, and a better description than Psyche, but not perfect.

"Moonstar" sounds super-heroic, and correct me if I'm wrong -- she's kind of gone with that for a long time. So either-or. Mirage or Moonstar both work, but the latter sounds cooler to me.

BTW, what is the story with her having the name Moonstar, but her parents both being named Lonestar?
    She first went by Moonstar in the mid 90s when she joined X-Force. She went back to Mirage in NM v2. As of the recent issue of NM, Vita has dropped that and she is now once again Moonstar

She first went by Moonstar in the mid 90s when she joined X-Force. She went back to Mirage in NM v2. As of the recent issue of NM, Vita has dropped that and she is now once again Moonstar
    Right -- clear on that. I meant why she had a different last name than her parents, who had a similar name without the "Moon."

I've seen it suggested in various threads that it was a different name given to her by Black Eagle -- which seems retconned, given that everything seems to list her as "Danielle Moonstar" as her actual first / last name, instead of that being just a nickname.
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-22-2020 at 09:58 AM.

It is her last name and no one has ever explained why it's different from her parents. It could make for am interesting story, I think.

My guess, though, is that Claremont realized Moonstar wasn't a proper Cheyenne name (which tend to follow an adjective/noun pattern, from what I've seen) too late and tried to fix it with her parents.

Extraordinary Member

When she was introduced in the New Mutants graphic novel 'Moonstar' was treated as her first name and was what everyone called her. It was a surprise that Xavier knew her other name was Danielle since only her closest family knew that name.

An unusually holiday-themed Danielle Moonstar pic:

danielle-moonstar-554941-normal.jpg
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-23-2020 at 11:45 AM.