Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Liked this and the linkages to Batman/Superman. Makes good sense and good choices made.

I'm a little nonplussed with Wrath being called Wrath just because Batman's already got a villain called Wrath. But yeah it's cool. It did wrap a little quick but it ain't quite over yet. And there's still the implications to explore, in a more journalistic chapter, of the Mayor being a supervillain. Kuder was great and Porter was great.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Yawn. Someone wake me when this thing is over. Yang and Pak have taken what could have been one of the best Superman stories ever, one that would be talked about 50 years from now, and turned it into milquetoast. But that's Pak IMHO and Yang should have never been given a story this big his first go around. It's odd, I agree with Rakzo and K. Jones 98% of the time, but for the life of me I don't get the love for Pak - Batman/Superman should be a Top 10 book and is mediocre to be kind, and all of his Valiant work has been terrible. I guess, for some reason, he just writes well on Action to some. I can't wait for Marvel to "steal" him away, although they don't seem to want him anymore

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Yawn. Someone wake me when this thing is over. Yang and Pak have taken what could have been one of the best Superman stories ever, one that would be talked about 50 years from now, and turned it into milquetoast. But that's Pak IMHO and Yang should have never been given a story this big his first go around. It's odd, I agree with Rakzo and K. Jones 98% of the time, but for the life of me I don't get the love for Pak - Batman/Superman should be a Top 10 book and is mediocre to be kind, and all of his Valiant work has been terrible. I guess, for some reason, he just writes well on Action to some. I can't wait for Marvel to "steal" him away, although they don't seem to want him anymore
    Considering that he's aparently writing the new Hulk, I doubt they mind him all that much.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I once again thought this issue was better than the last, so I'm not quite feeling the waning quality that some of you guys are. To each their own of course but I thought it was a strong finish to an incredibly strong first act. And while Batman/Superman hasn't been close to as good, the way the two ended to sync up made things just all the more better and interesting. Now I can't wait for Superman/Wonder Woman for a another reason, as I'm assuming one of the "shadows" that Wrath meets in the hotels will be an antagonist from that book. At least that seems to be the theme: Wrath=Action, Hordr_Root=Superman, Vandal Savage=Batman/Superman. So the last mystery man should come from Superman/Wonder Woman.

Also cool that it looks like Lee is headed for superhero status.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Could this "Wrath" be New 52 Eclipso? That's basicly what she looks like and what her power most resembles just without the darkness limitation. Eclipso is supposed to be a cosmic entity representing the "Wrath" of God before he fell from grace and was replace by the Specre so it fits.

I wouldn't entirely rule out a connection of some kind, but she's definitely not Eclipso as he's already been established in the New 52 and is a character now tied heavily to Amethyst lore, being a denizen of Gemworld. But if there were to be a connection they could certainly say that Wrath comes from Gemworld too.

Of course the similarity of appearance could just be coincidence too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I always thought th epremise was a bad one, execution for sure isn't helping.
    I also don't get the love for Pak, not a bad writer but also nothing really impressive. I think he is much better doing lighthearted comics like incredible hercules. never read his valiant work, but seems awful because turok was cancelled and eternal warrior is being written by peter milligan now.
    The last issues of action and bat/sup feel like a big mess

Can someone tell me what happens in batman/superman that ties into action comics ending as I don't read that series thanks.
    Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Every Action Comics since Convergence has teared me up, this book is the highlight of the Truth arc for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I always thought th epremise was a bad one, execution for sure isn't helping.
    I also don't get the love for Pak, not a bad writer but also nothing really impressive. I think he is much better doing lighthearted comics like incredible hercules. never read his valiant work, but seems awful because turok was cancelled and eternal warrior is being written by peter milligan now.
    The last issues of action and bat/sup feel like a big mess
    Eternal Warrior is being written by Robert Vendetti right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Considering that he's aparently writing the new Hulk, I doubt they mind him all that much.
    The people they really want they get to sign exclusives. We saw that with Soule

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
    Can someone tell me what happens in batman/superman that ties into action comics ending as I don't read that series thanks.
    *Spoiler* The shadow lady, Wrath, is working for/with Vandal Savage. In B/S there is a a sun-like power source created by WayneTech that Vandal steals and on the last page Wrath and he meet up and talk about conquering the world

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

The people they really want they get to sign exclusives. We saw that with Soule
    That would be assuming that they didn't get Pak an exclusive deal because they didn't offer him one and not because Pak refused it for whatever reason. Which we don't really have any way of knowing.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Read it...not bad, not great....some great little nuggets perhaps,but solid.

We have yet to see the final issues of the SM/WW and SUPERMAN as a part of this first phase of TRUTH...but it's clear of the four, ACTION is THE title that has worked the best. None have been bad outright (although the last SUPERMAN came very close) but ACTION is the only one that i can hold up and say "this is good comics", although that has nothing to do with TRUTH as a concept and has everything to do with Pak and probably Aaron Kuder even more. If anything, TRUTH I think does a little harm to the sterling quality of ACTION.

It's funny, 6 months ago when there were rumblings of Truth, what I thought was going to be my ultimate issue with it, I.E. Lois Lane's characterization and the possible further undermining of her place in the Super-verse, hasn't really come to pass,and if anything, the Lois and Superman relationship and Lois as character has benifited the most from this story so far. What I was originally intrigued by and somewhat looking forward to.., the idea of an exposed Superman with his back against the wall, has sort of played itself out to the point now that I'm ready to see him back in the suit and at full power again and moving beyond the gimmick of his secret ID exposed. Perhaps I wouldn't feel this way if TPTB allowed the creators to build an actual baseline status quo BEFORE jumping into this,but it just comes off as yet another "event" story in the long stream of them we've had since "H'El ON EARTH", and frankly, I'm growing tired of them. Granted, TRUTH is probably the most substantive and best written and planned one yet...but it's still the latest EARTH SHATTERING EVENT THAT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING FOREVAH!...and kind of like the boy who cried wolf...there are so many times you can say that until i grow skeptical.

ACTION #40, and SUPERMAN #39 are what i'd like to see more of, and less of these long drawn out events. Less is more.

On the plus side spoilers:
    Vandal Savage as the big bad behind all of this Shadow organization shenanegans, and thus, Clark's recent troubles not only was an actual surprise,but recalls the criminally underrated early 80's run of ACTION COMICS by Marv Wolfman and Gil Kane, which focused on Vandal Savage's machinations against Supes. It's a spiritual call back and essentially makes TRUTH a quasi-sequel (in the loosest sense)to that era. So to whomever decided this aspect, my hat is off to them.
    end of spoilers

Yeah completely agree. This could have been a huge story with Superman losing part of his powers AND having his identity revealed. But what they did with it eventually was so lame. When Spider-Man revealed his secret identity in Civil Wars it was huge. Or Captain America with him being shot an all.

Dont' get the hype for internet darling Pak either.

The only parts I liked in this event were the first two issues from Superman Wonder Woman. I liked Clarks characterization there a lot.