Default Could Star Wars: Episode 8 be delayed?

The Force Awakens was actually originally planned by Disney to be released in the traditional late May release for Star Wars films, but when Abrams started production, the film's release was moved to December.

This isn't the first time this happened with Abrams, as the Star Trek reboot film was originally planned for a December 2008 release, but eventually wound up in Summer 2009.

Although Abrams isn't directing the next film (Rian Johnson is), it's set for a May 2017 release date, only about a year and a half from now, which is the closest gap between main saga Star Wars films (and then there's Rogue One). The Lucas films took about three years to make, but that's probably due to their heavy effects work. Although given the speed at which Disney in which Disney is releasing MCU films, maybe it's not a big problem, but I'm just wondering if it's possible this will happen. The production of the new Star Wars films has not been without it's hiccups-not only the previous delay, but the whole Josh Trank/Fantastic Four mess which put an end to his involvement in the Han Solo film. (granted, the originals had many, many production issues-Lucas's stress, Empire's budget problems, the complaints from pretty much every actor involved in episodes I-III etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Force Awakens was actually originally planned by Disney to be released in the traditional late May release for Star Wars films, but when Abrams started production, the film's release was moved to December.

This isn't the first time this happened with Abrams, as the Star Trek reboot film was originally planned for a December 2008 release, but eventually wound up in Summer 2009.

Although Abrams isn't directing the next film (Rian Johnson is), it's set for a May 2017 release date, only about a year and a half from now, which is the closest gap between main saga Star Wars films (and then there's Rogue One). The Lucas films took about three years to make, but that's probably due to their heavy effects work. Although given the speed at which Disney in which Disney is releasing MCU films, maybe it's not a big problem, but I'm just wondering if it's possible this will happen. The production of the new Star Wars films has not been without it's hiccups-not only the previous delay, but the whole Josh Trank/Fantastic Four mess which put an end to his involvement in the Han Solo film. (granted, the originals had many, many production issues-Lucas's stress, Empire's budget problems, the complaints from pretty much every actor involved in episodes I-III etc.)
    I don't think it will be as big an issue as Rian Johnson has had a script for awhile and pre-production has been going on (technically I think some photography started as well). The filming of the prequels all started just short of two years out from their release date and in the last 10 years, the process for completing visual effects has improved, cutting the time needed for post-production.

Now of course, it could be delayed later on for any number of reasons, but I don't really see that happening bad happening.

Incredible Member

Lucasfilm took three years because they used the same writer and director for each. These overlapping production schedules are the main reason why Abrams isn't available for Episode VIII (he basically would have had to either leave the post-production on VII or join production late on VIII). Episode VIII is supposed to start filming this month. Principal photography usually takes 3-6 months, which means they should wrap by Fall, no problem. That leaves AT LEAST eight months to get the post-production and reshoots done. Factor in how much of Star Wars is practical effects and that's not an unreasonable target to hit. Don't forget, one of the reasons filming on VII took longer than normal was because Ford and Abrams were injured.

EDIT: Well you certainly called that.
    Last edited by TickTock; 01-20-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Yeah-although I think it's partially because the December release date worked so well for TFA, although this also gives them more time to polish things a bit.

Also they probably don't want it to conflict with Pirates 5 and the MCU stuff coming out around the same time.

Also with Rogue One coming out this December this now kind of makes Star Wars films a sort of semi-annual holiday event, if the Han Solo and Episode 9 films are switched around a bit too. Certainly helps the toy sales!
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-20-2016 at 01:20 PM.