Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is about where I am, particularly the bolded segments. Marston and Rucka are definitely my top WW creators.

But yeah, Aphrodite was a major missed opportunity in Azzarello's run. I'm not wild about Owl Woman Athena either, but at least she's a bit more active, even if it's mostly in service to daddy (ugh).
    Yeah, I really didn't like his use of Athena, but at least she had an interesting design compared to naked, faceless blonde woman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Where is your evidence that the clay origin was off putting to any fans before it was changed?
    Check out this board. I'm not going to name any without their permission, but it wouldn't be difficult to find comments from fans who always found it weird. And I doubt all of them are male.

I’m not reading the title but the comments on this board indicate that since Rucka left the book hasn’t been focused on Hippolyta and women at all.
    So we have a demigod run that focuses on the women and a demigod run that shoves her brother down our throats. All that tells us is that the demigod origin does not innately lead to a male focused book. And it's easy enough to shift the focus back without hijacking the book with more origin nonsense. The character deserves better than that, her book should not be constantly devoted to a subject that has the fanbase fractured and is impossible to satisfy everybody with.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Check out this board. I'm not going to name any without their permission, but it wouldn't be difficult to find comments from fans who always found it weird. And I doubt all of them are male.

So we have a demigod run that focuses on the women and a demigod run that shoves her brother down our throats. All that tells us is that the demigod origin does not innately lead to a male focused book. And it's easy enough to shift the focus back without hijacking the book with more origin nonsense. The character deserves better than that, her book should not be constantly devoted to a subject that has the fanbase fractured and is impossible to satisfy everybody with.
    Marston’s origin for his creation is not my idea of nonsense.
    Last edited by Largo161; 07-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Marston’s origin for his creation is not my idea of nonsense.
    His origin for his character is not nonsense, and I didn't say it was. For better or worse though, she's not just his character anymore.

Devoting more time in the comics to backtracking to her origin would be nonsense, because the last thing her world needs is to keep focusing on the past. It doesn't matter what the focus is, clay birth or daddy Zeus, they just need to stop talking about it already. It needs to keep going forward. There are other areas that need attention far more.

If the revolutionary and symbolic statement Marston was making with his origin is unimportant to you, then I guess it wouldn’t matter.
    Eh, if a story is trying to make a point or message, either I never get it, or if I do it's because it was annoying. But good characters are good characters. I don't read to get revolutionary or symbolic statements, I read because something about the character or story speaks to me. And for Wonder Woman, it is who she is.

I'm pretty much on the same page as this article regarding her clay origin: https://multiframe.wordpress.com/201...s-a-****-idea/

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same page as this article regarding her clay origin: https://multiframe.wordpress.com/201...s-a-****-idea/
    Good read. I'm not 100% with everything the writer poses, but it's awful close. I definitely think a divine father (particularly one dripping in rape lore) is 180-degrees off what this character is about. It almost smacks of mindpron from the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I said it a few times, but the whole DCnU take on the character, especially outside the title of Wonder Woman, essentially Conan-ized her.

We need to get back to Wonder Woman and Diana and the mythos having the heart of Marston and the accessories (not a shield and not a sword to me) that other writers developed over the years. To me, those are mostly Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, and some Kanigher thrown in for good measure.

Wonder Woman is really her own thing that needs to be unleashed. She doesn't need to be made simpler or streamlined when you get her heart and soul and intelligence and humor and joie de vivre and empathy and ethics and strengths correct.
    I once imagined a Kanigher's department store being Diana's favorite place in Georgetown, Gateway or wherever ..to go shopping. It'd be someplace full of promotional displays echoing the over-sized, sometimes phantasmagorical wackiness of the Bob Kanigher comics. I still think it'd be a fun idea, if Diana ever gets a town ..or home.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I've always liked the concept of the Amazons using brain energy through mental and physical training to give them more muscle and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I once imagined a Kanigher's department store being Diana's favorite place in Georgetown, Gateway or wherever ..to go shopping. It'd be someplace full of promotional displays echoing the over-sized, sometimes phantasmagorical wackiness of the Bob Kanigher comics. I still think it'd be a fun idea, if Diana ever gets a town ..or home.
    Also Taco Whiz for snacks is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm all for a Kanigher's Variety store, with only the coolest and most interesting of designs across a wide range of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Also Taco Whiz for snacks is a must.
    LOL. Joao, I added that Taco Whiz's headquarters are in the city I'm developing for Diana and it's the most popular fast food restaurant in the DCU. Take that Big Belly Burger and O'Shaughnessy's.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    I've always liked the concept of the Amazons using brain energy through mental and physical training to give them more muscle and strength.
    Interesting...definitely something to consider when revamping the Amazons and their abilities. :: puts on thinking cap ::

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Agree. I tend to think of most super-athletic abilities that aren't blatantly enhanced mechanical motion (i.e. Atom Smasher, Cyborg, etc.) as psychokinetic. With all of their faith and meditative disciplines, The Amazons certainly fit that bill. It's one of the reasons I wish Perez and those that followed him hadn't wiped away the idea of The Amazons as an advanced society. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned elsewhere around here, the movie has probably trapped them The Bronze Age until the next complete overhaul.

deleted nvm