Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How will the coronavirus affect comics?

So many shows and movies are being delayed because of this. Now, personally, I see no problem with that. No reason for people to get sick here.

But how will all of this affect comics? Especially Marvel who is tied closely to Disney and the movies that were supposed to come out.

BANNED

Good, question...no idea.

Maybe a delay in shipping out the comics on time who knows.

Well, right now, it seems to be affecting everything.

Comics won't be affected as badly as TV and film because the writers, artists, letterers and editors can work from home. They can be produced as normal until they get to the printing and distribution stage. At that point delays may happen due to quarantine related staff shortages.

I do think that there'll be problems for other media. In the movies, New Mutants is already postponed, and I bet Black Widow and DC's Wonder Woman 1984 will meet the same fate. Falcon and the Winter Soldier had to halt filming, so that'll probably be delayed as well. The Arrowverse shows and Riverdale likely won't complete their current seasons as they've halted production too. WandaVision should be OK as that's in the can, ditto the Spider-Man: Absolute Venom cartoon.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-13-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

iMan 42s

Creators can and many as far as I can tell work from home so the creative side of things I doubt would be affected that much. The issue primarily will come with physical distribution because you have to get people to actually ship your product as much as you'd have to get people to buy it when it hits shops. Shops will take a hit by them or their clients getting sick.

It's at this point reasonable to expect delays but I don't see one where it doesn't hit street dates. More or less that shipments will likely be late and it will still be available on digital platforms.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I can only assume there will be infinite pushbacks and delayed events, not to mention a sizable dip in sales.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I can only assume there will be infinite pushbacks and delayed events, not to mention a sizable dip in sales.
    I wouldn't expect anything for a month or two.

Comics are written in advance to make sure a product reaches ship dates with a couple of issues generally "ready to go". Ordering will be affected with shops getting a clearer image of who can actually make it in but I doubt we're looking at anything massive. As of right now products can still ship so there isn't much reason to worry that comics will be hit too hard. Digital services will as of right now still be dropped so it's not like things will miss street date yet.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I will happily get infected to get my Empyre. Nothin' comin' between me and that Schiti art.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Nothing really much, launch parties will be halted. The biggest factor is FCBD, that could affected. The biggest of those affected will be comic shops unless you continue to go like nothing happened.

Extraordinary Member

I didn't even think of FCBD.

I know there are so many kther things to worry about, but it's the small things in life that keep us going.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Probably lower sales if stores closing or lower foot traffic.

Some shipping delays
    "Cable was right!"

I work at a small shop. We don't do any major release parties or host many additional events, but there certainly is some concern. We will likely stay open as long as we're able. We'll be reliant on them getting comics to us (whether the hold up is at the companies, the distributor or the shipments remains to be seen).

The comics getting made shouldn't be a problem at all. All creators work from home these days, except for those that rent studio space, but that's a long way from the bullpen set up. Everything is done through the computer and sent to the next person in the assembly line. I know a few creators and there are a ton out there who have never even met the other people on the book in person. So yeah, I don't expect a down turn in comics being produced.

BANNED

This might well collapse the direct market for good. Comic shops are struggling as it is, a month or two of little to no foot traffic could see many go out of business. That is unless landlords start waiving payments on shop leases but I don’t see that happening universally across the retail sector.

Although one advantage the comics industry does have over Hollywood is that new comics are already being sold same day digital on platforms like ComiXology. Which could well be a lifeline for the comics industry if Marvel and DC can convince more readers to shift to digital purchases rather the having them stop buying at all as they try to wait out this virus.

Extraordinary Member

If they expect this to last two months, then something needs to be done because it isn't just going to be comic book shops hurting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    If they expect this to last two months, then something needs to be done because it isn't just going to be comic book shops hurting.
    They might switch to digital for new content, perhaps.