Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Pretty sure Ariana Grande is white...

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok, but I'm just not sure why people are complaining as if this some kind of blow to diversity. Because that's what I seem to get from the comments here. My point is this doesn't detract from diversity elsewhere
    No clue, I can only explain why I've made my complaints, I can't really talk for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's that improbable considering people have seen her hair with a reddish tint or looking red before,
    I'll have to take your word for that, I've never seen this actress in anything so I don't know what all hair styles and colors she's sported.

and I don't think it's too far-fetched to expect comic fidelity in this instance thinking how much her red hair is a part of the Batgirl look unless they really deviate in their interpretation of the character.
    I think you made this same argument for Kara Supergirl being blond, and I think we know that's not happening. It might not be too far-fetched to hope for, but it is improbable enough that you shouldn't just expect it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Pretty sure Ariana Grande is white...
    I'm almost positive she's some kind of Latina...?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No clue, I can only explain why I've made my complaints, I can't really talk for anyone else.
    That's fine. I'm not saying this is a good or bad choice. But I'm not really broken up about it. Personally, I still want more PoC heroes adapted whether White ones are racebent or not.

I'll have to take your word for that, I've never seen this actress in anything so I don't know what all hair styles and colors she's sported.

I think you made this same argument for Kara Supergirl being blond, and I think we know that's not happening. It might not be too far-fetched to hope for, but it is improbable enough that you shouldn't just expect it in my opinion.
    Idk if WB cares that much about that level of visual accuracy, or accuracy at all.

That's fine. I'm not saying this is a good or bad choice. But I'm not really broken up about it. Personally, I still want more PoC heroes adapted whether White ones are racebent or not.
    To each their own. I want more PoC heroes adapted, and no race bending.

Idk if WB cares that much about that level of visual accuracy, or accuracy at all.
    They do not.

Ultimate Member

To each their own. I want more PoC heroes adapted, and no race bending.

They do not.
    Ok. I don't really mind racebending if it means a series not full of mostly White heroes. It's not like white heroes are marginalized

Ok. I don't really mind racebending if it means a series not full of mostly White heroes. It's not like white heroes are marginalized
    Eh, I'd rather see a series like Black Lightning were all the heroes are actual poc. They don't need to race bend to get it done.

Ultimate Member

Eh, I'd rather see a series like Black Lightning were all the heroes are actual poc. They don't need to race bend to get it done.
    I'd like that too, but that doesn't mean this bothers me. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive

I'd like that too, but that doesn't mean this bothers me. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive
    I don't see the two as mutually exclusive as others do, but it does bother me. So just hoping more poc heroes and less racebent heroes.

Ultimate Member

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive as others do, but it does bother me. So just hoping more poc heroes and less racebent heroes.
    But why exactly does it bother you, if I may ask? Most of these characters were made during a more racist era, so if modern filmmakers don't want to adhere to that, why exactly is that bad?

But why exactly does it bother you, if I may ask? Most of these characters were made during a more racist era, so if modern filmmakers don't want to adhere to that, why exactly is that bad?
    Because like most people I prefer the characters to just look like they do in the books and cartoons and older movies, minus some minor costume updating. It's really no deeper or more complex than that. Yes, many of them are white because they were made in a more racist era. But there's so many poc characters old and new now that could get adapted right now instead that we don't need racebending to balance it out, we just need Hollywood to get the memo and adapt those characters.

Yeah, but now I can accept that they were never going to portray her as a conventional Supergirl so it makes more sense that they didn't bother with the blonde hair. It wouldn't have worked from a setting standpoint for what they seem to be doing with her.

Ultimate Member

Because like most people I prefer the characters to just look like they do in the books and cartoons and older movies, minus some minor costume updating. It's really no deeper or more complex than that. Yes, many of them are white because they were made in a more racist era. But there's so many poc characters old and new now that could get adapted right now instead that we don't need racebending to balance it out, we just need Hollywood to get the memo and adapt those characters.
    Ok. I don't really think the basic appearance is something to be beholden to, tbh. A lot of them have basic or generic appearances, based often on stereotypical views of gender and race. I don't need that. I care more about personality and acting abilitiy. I've become a little numb to the constant complaining about racebending tbh

If you don't like racebending, and want newer PoC heroes adapted, do you then not want or care for older White heroes to be adapted?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but now I can accept that they were never going to portray her as a conventional Supergirl so it makes more sense that they didn't bother with the blonde hair. It wouldn't have worked from a setting standpoint for what they seem to be doing with her.
    See, now this is something else. What do you mean that she's not a "conventional" Supergirl? Because she's not blond? Or just because she's taking the Flashpoint Superman role? And if that's enough of a change for you, what if Babs is changed as well? Then could she not be a redhead? Or what if what we're thinking is the direction they're going with Supergirl is wrong, and it turns out she actually is a very traditional and conventional version, would her not being blond suddenly go back to being a problem?
    (Those are legit questions born out of curiosity, but for some reason everytime I pile on multiple questions in a post it always sounds angry/aggresive, sorry)

Ok. I don't really think the basic appearance is something to be beholden to, tbh. A lot of them have basic or generic appearances, based often on stereotypical views of gender and race. I don't need that. I care more about personality and acting abilitiy. I've become a little numb to the constant complaining about racebending tbh

If you don't like racebending, and want newer PoC heroes adapted, do you then not want or care for older White heroes to be adapted?
    I won't answer that question, because I disagree with the premise - I don't view it as either/or. The notion that we can either get new poc characters or older white characters is an idea I just don't truck with. We can have both, we should have both, and we should demand both.

Ultimate Member

Ok, but then you'd be stuck with mostly White heroes, which isn't great for diversity.