Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    This all but confirms Bendis for Superman or Action Comics now. It's just a matter of waiting for DC to confirm which series Bendis will be writing. And I definitely don't think Bendis deserves to be writing in Action Comics #1000 for his first DC assignment. I dislike his writing immensely so that's my reason but taking that out of the equation, you don't give a new writer, even a big name one, a spot on one of the most important issues of the most famous comic book character ever. A character he's never even touched before. This will definitely sour my enjoyment of Action Comics #1000.
    Bendis has a proven track record and his name will bring marvel fans who never looked at DC before looking at Superman. It's a smart business move, especially if he is taking on a Superman book.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis has a proven track record and his name will bring marvel fans who never looked at DC before looking at Superman. It's a smart business move, especially if he is taking on a Superman book.
    I'm aware Bendis will bring new Marvel fans to Action Comics but Marvelising Superman hasn't gone down well with the fanbase in the past. Bryne's Superman is still contentious to this day.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 01-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis is confirmed on Action 1000 with art by Jim Lee...
    Why?
    Why did it have to be Jim Frelling Lee? I was sort of looking forward to Bendis on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I'm aware Bendis will bring new Marvel fans to Action Comics but Marvelising hasn't gone down well with the fanbase in the past. Bryne's Superman is still contentious to this day.
    To be fair though "Marvelizing" was a much different thing back in the 80s. If one were to re-coin the term Marvelization today, ironically what you'd get is stuff as out there and confusing as the original pre-Crisis DC days.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why?
    Why did it have to be Jim Frelling Lee?
    Because a whole lot of people seem to like Lee's art (I myself am not super big on it, but whatever), and Bendis is almost assuredly taking over Superman after this, so this is a way to fill Action 1000's Jim Lee quota while giving Bendis a big push to start off with. Solid strategy.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be fair though "Marvelizing" was a much different thing back in the 80s. If one were to re-coin the term Marvelization today, ironically what you'd get is stuff as out there and confusing as the original pre-Crisis DC days.
    Boy what I wouldn't give for some "Marvelizing" for Superman right now lol If that means getting stuff like Young Avengers, Thor since Marvel now, Ultimates, F4/FF, Avengers within the last 6 years, Waid's Captain America, and signing off on bonkers events like Secret Wars and Original Sin then please marvelize the crap out of Superman's world.

Seriously, I'd kill to see Superman's world do even a fraction of what they seem to not only be allowing but encouraging over at Marvel. Black Panther has a freakin space Wakanda, guys. Space Wakanda!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Because a whole lot of people seem to like Lee's art (I myself am not super big on it, but whatever), and Bendis is almost assuredly taking over Superman after this, so this is a way to fill Action 1000's Jim Lee quota while giving Bendis a big push to start off with. Solid strategy.
    I think Jim Lee is a fantastic pin-up artist, but has no real talent for sequential art, story flow, expressing emotions other than anger and stoicism...

And even if I were the world's biggest Jim Lee fanboy on earth, I can't picture a writer and artist less compatible than Bendis and Jim Lee. Their styles are polar opposites.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Seriously, I'd kill to see Superman's world do even a fraction of what they seem to not only be allowing but encouraging over at Marvel. Black Panther has a freakin space Wakanda, guys. Space Wakanda!
    Grass often appears greener... the actual marvel board consensus is that the current Black Panther is terrible.

I was just thinking about how Jim Lee is so cool that I'd sharpie his name onto a pair of sneakers and pretend they were signed (I always joke about him being the comics Michael Jordan) but then I remembered, I actually freaking have Jim Lee shoes.

20180111_161949.jpg

As for matching up with Bendis, he's one of the main writers who facilitates artists doing static copies of panels consecutively. So they may end up best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think Jim Lee is a fantastic pin-up artist, but has no real talent for sequential art, story flow, expressing emotions other than anger and stoicism...

And even if I were the world's biggest Jim Lee fanboy on earth, I can't picture a writer and artist less compatible than Bendis and Jim Lee. Their styles are polar opposites.
    Totally agree with basically everything you said. Doesn't change that it's a pretty solid strategy that'll likely yeild some pretty substantial success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Grass often appears greener... the actual marvel board consensus is that the current Black Panther is terrible.
    That's cool. My point still stands though. Space Wakanda is still an extremely out there idea worthy of Pre-crisis, and Marvel seem to be encouraging stuff like that, and I think that's great. Might not always land right, but allowing and encouraging it is really nice. Like, Aaron's Thor mega run is fantastic, fun, and totally bonkers. Or the more pulpy and fun one-and-done Waid Captain America that Marvel apparently likes so much that they're extending the run.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not so sure how I feel about a first timer being given a spot on Action #1000. Just doesn't seem right. All for brand new contributors but this is the one title where you WANT the past to have a place out of celebration.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    In Action Comics 1000.......... Nooo.. This is one SPECIAL ISSUE..

I canīt see one review of 9-10(worth of AC 1000) after know about this..
    Before people freak out ENTIRELY about Bendis on issue #1000, don't forget at one point we were told
    ACTION COMICS #1000, written by Pete Tomasi and Dan Jurgens, will be published as a special, oversized edition featuring an all-star talent line-up writing back-up stories, including a story co-written by Geoff Johns and Superman film director, Richard Donner.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...r-599-special/

And that's for the $5.99 comic book version, not the $30.00 hardcover version that also is suppose to reprint some classic material.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

$6 for #1000 was almost a no-brainer. It's a really huge deal. But this being the opening shot for Bendis? It could have been that someone got a hold of this news originally and totally jumped the gun and said he'd be getting an actual Superman title.

That's cool. My point still stands though. Space Wakanda is still an extremely out there idea worthy of Pre-crisis, and Marvel seem to be encouraging stuff like that, and I think that's great. Might not always land right, but allowing and encouraging it is really nice. Like, Aaron's Thor mega run is fantastic, fun, and totally bonkers. Or the more pulpy and fun one-and-done Waid Captain America that Marvel apparently likes so much that they're extending the run.
    My favorite ongoing currently is Black Bolt and I actually think the BP comic is even quite solid, so I agree about what they have going on. But given the reactions I just think it's easy to see why DC isn't going a similar route. Well, again, after DCYou, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    My favorite ongoing currently is Black Bolt and I actually think the BP comic is even quite solid, so I agree about what they have going on. But given the reactions I just think it's easy to see why DC isn't going a similar route. Well, again, after DCYou, haha.
    I honestly don't even think what they're doing is super similar to the DCYou (at least not with all their titles). Some of their titles like Captain America, Avengers, Thor, and Ultimates (RIP) are doing standard superhero stuff, but the volume is turned up or, in Cap's case, they finally got it to the right tune. The DCYou was a deliberate departure in the soul interest of something new. For some of Marvel's titles that's for sure what they started out doing, but they seem to finding a really nice balance now.

Whatever the case, I'm down for something that's not our current Superman stuff, and I'm basically hoping that it turns out good if not great. No real telling how Bendis will approach the character and what from his previous works will carry over, but I'm down see, and I wish him and his team the best of luck.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Before people freak out ENTIRELY about Bendis on issue #1000, don't forget at one point we were told
    And that's for the $5.99 comic book version, not the $30.00 hardcover version that also is suppose to reprint some classic material.
    That information could still be true, and they just added the Bendis backup. Also, the hardcover doesn't include action 1000, it is it's own book that's celebrating 1000 with past released material.

It's a backup feature. People are acting like he's doing the entire issue...
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    It's a backup feature. People are acting like he's doing the entire issue...
    People are acting like he's taking over the title entirely with this back-up story!