"Necessary"?

Sure. I'd agree we can question that.

That said, the world it exists in absolutely plays in more with Sam's Club than it does with Wal-Mart. I don't really look at folks from a generation younger than Gen X on down, and think "Yes, the reasons Sam's Club worked in the past will absolutely exist as those younger people make up a larger share of consumers."

It's such a markedly different picture that I can't see that business plan being largely viable even ten years out from now.

Along that line, here are some things we do know...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#404c08c314f3

While it saw a 35% increase in membership renewals year on year, Sam’s Club’s comp sales declined by 0.5% in Q4 2016 (ending January 2016), compared to a 0.6% increase in comp sales of Walmart U.S. for the same prior-year period. Sam’s Club faces intense competition from Costco, which saw a 6% increase in comp sales in the U.S. for its fiscal Q1 2016 (ended November 2015). Also a possible factor is Amazon Prime , which is now delivering fresh groceries. We believe initiatives to revamp its business model to attract higher income customers could be key in driving revenues for Sam’s Club in the future.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5332306.html

Why Costco Is Crushing Walmart-Owned Sam’s Club

To me, adding what we already knew there to that you probably wouldn't look at the future and bank on younger consumers seems to call viability into question.

One more thing from that first article above...

As part of the new strategy announced for Sam’s Club during the Q3 2016 earnings call of Walmart, it has taken certain significant steps, including: 1) the closure of under-performing clubs; 2) the review of merchandise categories; and, 3) the expansion of private labels in key areas. While the company’s expectation for comp sales in the first quarter of 2017 is flat, it hopes to see the benefits of its new strategy in the coming quarters.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Here's the list of EVERY single Democrat that voted for Re-authorization of House bill "1984"

Vote em all out.

Attachment 60631

That would be a no for me. This is something that has bipartisan support for a very good reason. To quote the update on the government site:
    The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence has introduced the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017 (S. 139, as amended) to renew Section 702 authorities for six years while making key reforms to the program to strengthen privacy protections for Americans. Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act authorizes the Intelligence Community to target the communications of non-U.S. persons located outside the United States for foreign intelligence purposes. A key anti-terror tool that has helped to thwart numerous terror plots including the 2009 conspiracy to bomb the New York City subway, Section 702 operations are subject to multiple layers of oversight by all three branches of government. The FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017 was originally introduced as H.R. 4478 and was later advanced as S. 139 as amended.

Do they sweep up communications from people here in the U.S? Sure, if they are in some line of communication with a foreign national who is under surveillance. I'd rather have the U.S Intelligence community out there trying to prevent a terrorist plot with any tool at their disposal.

Even all the hosts on last night CNN and MSNBC were for the passing of the bill and said that it was Trump who almost screwed it up with his tweeting against it because he thinks it has something to do with the Fusion GPS dossier

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

While everyone complains about Trump's latest racist comments, I found this story MORE troubling:

Exclusive: Here Is A Draft Of Trump’s Nuclear Review. He Wants A Lot More Nukes.

Ex-Union Boss Calls Trump A ‘Con Man’ And ‘Liar’ As Carrier Lays Off 215 More Workers

He “sold us a bag of s**t” we’re stuck with, former Steelworkers leader Chuck Jones says at an Indianapolis town hall. You just arriving at that conclusion, Chuck?

Government Shutdown Nears But Congress, White House ‘A Long Ways’ From DACA Deal

A bipartisan group of senators came to an agreement. But the White House and other senators haven’t said yes yet. As a government worker again facing the threat of being furloughed, I'm keeping an eye on this growing shitstorm.

Trump’s New Medicaid Rules Aren’t About Empowering People. They’re About Punishing The Poor.

A new policy that would allow states to mandate work requirements on Medicaid beneficiaries is as unnecessary as it is punitive. Of course it is, and that's because conservatives HATE the poor and want to slam them every chance they get.

Donald Trump Cancels His Trip To London, Blames Obama

British media report the White House may have feared mass protests. Yeah, Pissy POTUS doesn't like visiting places where the populace won't kiss his bulbous orange ass. Meanwhile, Trump needs to stop blaming Obama every time something puts his oversized panties in a bunch.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Like few others, the Arizona election is expected to showcase the feud between the Republican Party’s establishment and its fiery anti-immigration wing in particular — all in a border state that features one of the nation’s largest Hispanic populations.

McSally, a two-term congresswoman already backed by many GOP leaders in Arizona and Washington, described herself as anything but an establishment candidate in a fiery announcement video that touched on border security and Sharia law and featured Trump himself.

“Like our president, I’m tired of PC politicians and their BS excuses,” McSally charged in in the video. “I’m a fighter pilot and I talk like one.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/m...p-grow-ovaries

She seems nice.

Astonishing Member

Its not even 8am here yet in Houston and trump already adding to his tally of lies.

Trump Appears to Deny Using Racially Charged Language About Immigrants

He tweets he used "tough" language but not that. Yeah right. Like "locker room talk"

Anyway Reuters is reporting the London Embassy move he is blaming Obama for was announced in 2008 by the Bush administration.
    But, why not continue blaming Obama for everything. He knows damn well he just was going to be massively protested and has been widely reported he was going to be unwelcome

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    (1) I don't have a problem so much with the plaintiffs taking a deal, as with people considering that their case has been proven in spite of their taking the deal.

(2) Who does that? A narcissist with no taste, obviously. But so far he's not been successfully branded with the Roy Moore charge, and there might be a reason for that.
    I don't think "sexualizing your own toddlers" is in the definition of what constitutes a narcissist. Please don't excuse and/or normalize pedophilia.

BANNED

RE: the Idiots comments

someone on Fox News said "that is how forgotten Americans talk and they can relate to it"

well, THAT is why they are forgotten

because they don't know how to be decent people

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Wonderful. Yet another conservative harridan who decided that the best way to get in good with the old boys in Washington is to act and talk like one of the boys. The irony of the thing is that the boys would dismiss her fighter pilot tough talk as so much female noise, then basically tell her to shut the **** up and go make them sammiches for lunch.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Eric Trump Charity Paid Trump Family Business More Than $150,000

All the time, the Trumps get caught doing things they falsely accused Hillary Clinton of.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

someone on Fox News said "that is how forgotten Americans talk and they can relate to it"

The whole "forgotten people" narrative is so....annoying. I'm not saying there aren't parts of this country that have not reaped the same benefits as other parts, but holy ****.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

Amen. I like how George Stephanopoulos said ABC was probably making a mistake making them censor what he said this morning.

I totally agree. If viewers are offended by the word then they need to look at the man who said them. His supporters especially should have to explain to their kids why they agree with what he said or not.

Sugarcoating it is doing him a favor. Just be real. Electoral College voted for him so take the totality of what he says in reporting on him.

Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-12-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum