Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I felt his old look was a nice blend of Viking and superhero. His modern realistic looks never feel "superhero" to me. It's to viking. There's no balance. Without the over the top superhero elements he doesn't seem like a GOD, just a average warrior guy.

No no no no and no

Kirby is an icon and trailblazer but yuck.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Kirby costume looks awful. Such a horrible clash of colors. Coipel costume is my favorite.

no. it's time to modernize.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I felt his old look was a nice blend of Viking and superhero. His modern realistic looks never feel "superhero" to me. It's to viking. There's no balance. Without the over the top superhero elements he doesn't seem like a GOD, just a average warrior guy.
    Agreed. He needs to look like the kind of guy that Vikings may worship. Someone larger than life. His modern looks just look like a Viking... An average dude in armor. Like something from Lord of the Rings or D&D, he looks tough, but not really a GOD!!!

And yes! He's more than a God... He's a Superhero..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Absolutely! Or at least the Olivier Coipel look:

^^^^^^^This

Astonishing Member

If somebody managed to modernize it? Yes. But we've moved past it. A perfect blend would be Coipel's with the chain mail sleeves taken away.

Still, Kirby's costume is leagues above that travesty he was wearing just before Onslaught. (Just thinking about it gives me a rash.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    If somebody managed to modernize it? Yes. But we've moved past it. A perfect blend would be Coipel's with the chain mail sleeves taken away.

Still, Kirby's costume is leagues above that travesty he was wearing just before Onslaught. (Just thinking about it gives me a rash.)
    Yeah I do think sleeveless is better

Was the pre onslaught one the one with a chain set up on his chest, coz that get up was harsh

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I do think sleeveless is better

Was the pre onslaught one the one with a chain set up on his chest, coz that get up was harsh
    images.jpg

This one.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Coipel's Thor is the best modernisation IMO.It use the pattern of classic costume,but modernise it, or should i say vikingnise it, creating a nice result.

Also,i loved that look of King Thor
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    images.jpg

This one.
    I liked the longer hair look, but otherwise terrible

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Coipel's Thor is the best modernisation IMO.It use the pattern of classic costume,but modernise it, or should i say vikingnise it, creating a nice result.

Also,i loved that look of King Thor

Loved the helmet and boots flanges but otherwise not a fan

the chains and knee pads really weren't for me

Take them away and I could go for it with a deeper blue

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Whatever his costume, I definitely prefer him with a beard.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I think a modern take on the old costume could work. I always like to think of the circular areas as being magical enchantments for example, so a good redesign that has a glow or sense of power eminating from those would work well for me. In the past I have experimented with recolouring this costume with added glow and I think it could work.

In general I think the Kirby look is very superhero inspired, and sometimes this element of his backstory and original concept can get lost when emphasis is placed on him looking authentically vicking or godlike. Kirby was able to say so much just with posture and costume, not everyone is capable of this.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Incredible Member

I'm fine with the beard, but I'm going to jump on the band wagon and say I liked the Coipel costume the best. The current look is awful. Freaking movie synergy with the short hair. Don't much care for the golden arm and hammer either. I still have a soft spot for the Kirby look though, and it's a solid second best for me.