Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Default Best/ Favorite Bendis Original X-Men characters

It's obvious not everyone enjoyed Bendis' run with he X-Men. I think we can accurately say it wasn't the worst but it was far from the best. During this run there was a rumor going around that new mutant characters were a "no go", but we did get a dozen or so original characters from the writer (and a few others... where did that rumor come from?). From a host of characters from the future to Goldballs, there's more than enough to dissect. Not counting the O5 (he didn't make them...), what we're you favorite Bendis made X-Men characters?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I want to say Eva, but I think she got a bit too emo towards the end of Bendis' run. So I'm going to go with Hijack. I think he's the best example of the kind of danger that mutants face. His powers are not inherently destructive. When they first manifested, they didn't hurt anyone or cause any property damage, which is a lot more than some mutants can say. Yet despite his powers not harming a soul, the police still shot him without any justification. I think that makes Hijack a perfect metaphor for what mutants have to deal with. Even when their powers don't harm a soul, they are still targets. He more than anyone justified Cyclops' efforts in protecting mutants. The Jean Grey Institute sure wasn't helping mutants like Hijack. He got shot for no good reason while Christopher Muse got arrested and interrogated. Nobody came to help them. But Cyclops and his team did. And I think that's what helped make Hijack compelling. I just wish Bendis had explored this angle a bit more rather than letting his stories get caught up with AXIS and Battle of the Atom.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I think Eva ranked fast and furious on most people's radar but then fell hard toward the end.

I'm gonna go with Goldballs.
    Complete opposite effect. Total gag character who gradually ascended well past my expectations and carved out a warm cozy in my admirations.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Eva, then Hijack

Goldballs was always just a sight gag character, and bit of an unsensitive, offensive depiction frankly.

G-g-g-goldballs!
    *air horn noises*

Triage and Tempus.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Triage and Tempus.
    Agreed but just as secondary characters.

Morph (Benjamin Deeds). His stand-alone issue was a good read. He kind of took a backseat after that...

None. A best implies that one is good.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    Agreed but just as secondary characters.
    Definitely. None of the new characters created since... Morrison's run have had the potential to be main characters, sadly. Triage gets my nod because there aren't many black male X-Men of note, much less ones who are truly powerful; being able to heal anything and even resurrect the dead is pretty impressive. Seeing Christopher Muse [whose real name I genuinely had to wrack my brain for] question the NXS kids' role in Cyclops' 'revolution' was great, too.

Tempus was obviously Bendis' main character and got the uber-power as well as the most development but her development re: spending years time hopping but ending up in the same dress and with almost the same attitude but just with slightly longer hair? Bendis dropped the ball on making that believable. And her little temporal abortion incident and subsequent threats? She needs to be put down in Uncanny #600.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    None. A best implies that one is good.
    They had potential that simply wasn't realized. Goldballs, however, is the worst of the lot: nothing more than a double entendre codename and ability mixed with an annoying personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

It doesn't matter, they were created for the sake of being created. They'll never be use again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    It doesn't matter, they were created for the sake of being created. They'll never be use again anyway.
    QFT. And lets hope.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

I actually liked them, especially in comparison to the cringe worthy crap from the rest of the X-Books. They were decent, interesting and for the most part not retreads and palette swaps of existing characters. They had personality and potential if put in the hands of someone who would have actually developed them.

As for a favorite, Tempus is the obvious choice as she had more panel time/development than any of the others. She just needs someone to roll back the "god mode cheat" Bendis gave her powers and she totally usable. Hijack, Morph and Triage all have potential but more as secondary or support characters. Golfballs has always been cringe inducing though.

Tempus. Neat power. Neat design. And she was beginning to have her own character arc.

Hijack. Coulda been a new deviation on Forge and seeing how he could improve on the tech the Revolution used to stay ahead of SHIELD and others. Plus seeing him butt head with Cyclops was a shot in the arm in where he could go.

Triage. Healers are friggin rare. He and Elixir coulda teamed up and maybe start up a healing squad/hopsice force within the x teams. Maybe make a new team that while helpful to the x-men would not try to stay too into the whole divide/schism shtick.

Ben and Goldballs. SOmewhat potential but not as much as the others.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Eva Bell aka Tempus. Started off as a very likable and fun character, and then slowly became destructive and more dark with the change of environment surrounding her. I think there can be a lot of great characterization depth that can be further explored with her character after that time jump. To suddenly jump decades into the future and then return must be pretty excruciating.

I really didn't care much for any of the other characters he created. Hijack had potential but quickly turned into a boring Mary Sue. Benjamin was great in his spotlight issue but just went stale quickly after that.

Eva aside, I really hope we never see his group of characters again.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!