Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Mr Rogers sold poisoned candy to school children.
    Well, we already knew about him being a sniper in Vietnam. And that he murdered Elvis on the orders of the Trilateral Commission.

BANNED

Watching Wandavision episode 6, seeing X-Men Quicksilver in it... but what should we do now? should we keep thanking Bryan Singer for giving us this masterpiece VFX scene that kicked off Evan's Pietro career to the point now that he has become the first marvel character to likely cross over to the multiverse

You can separate the art from the artist, additionally it helps when other people gets to say where the art could go even if questionable men like Singer or Whedon set the foundation for the art.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-13-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Wagner is problematic, but I still love the Ring.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It's really case by case depending on what they did and how that affects the media I'm watching/listening to. Harvey Weinstein is a monster, but I can still watch films he produced. If he were an actor who did what he did, I'd likely avoid seeing him in films. I wouldn't watch "The Cosby Show" if it were on, but I'll still watch "Buffy" or Firefly." I'll watch "Se7en" or "L.A. Confidential" if it's on, but I wouldn't be interested in anything new Spacey puts out. I guess I don't have a rule about it, it's just about my visceral reaction based on several factors.

It’s easy. Read and watch what you like for fun and don’t pay attention to irrelevant details like what the person behind it is like.

If you’ve already read and enjoyed something, it becomes harder to hate it because you learn details about the creator later.

The only exception is if the person is awful/ evil enough you feel like there’s symbolism of their depravity in their work. At that point I’d be unable to enjoy the work anymore. * Awful and evil enough for me is someone who has committed crimes. Not someone who has some ism or another. Simple. We had to read lots of authors in English literature who i’m sure because if the time period and place in the world they lived harbored terrible hate filled views about a lot of people. Wtv. They’re long dead. Same will be the case for those alive right now one day. If ya feel guilty about buying or watching the living stuff just use a torrent or find a way to consume it without giving them financial support. Simple.

Done.

Elvis still has a lot of fans and he was a womanizer and was unfaithful to his wife. I can still watch him.

I can still watch Amber Heard in Aquaman. I don't care about her problems with Johnny Depp. I don't think he's an angel either like his fans say.

Wasn't Josh Brolin accused of beating his partner? And he is still working in big movies.

James Gunn still gets work and has lots of fans. I think his "jokes" were of very bad taste. That really turned me off him. But then, I was never a fan, so I can live without his art.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-13-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's really case by case depending on what they did and how that affects the media I'm watching/listening to. Harvey Weinstein is a monster, but I can still watch films he produced. If he were an actor who did what he did, I'd likely avoid seeing him in films. I wouldn't watch "The Cosby Show" if it were on, but I'll still watch "Buffy" or Firefly." I'll watch "Se7en" or "L.A. Confidential" if it's on, but I wouldn't be interested in anything new Spacey puts out. I guess I don't have a rule about it, it's just about my visceral reaction based on several factors.
    Pretty much this. I can watch any Pixar movie that John Lassetter produced/directed with no issue at all. But I just can’t listen to any of R. Kelly’s old songs without feeling sick to my stomach.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Watching Wandavision episode 6, seeing X-Men Quicksilver in it... but what should we do now? should we keep thanking Bryan Singer for giving us this masterpiece VFX scene that kicked off Evan's Pietro career to the point now that he has become the first marvel character to likely cross over to the multiverse

You can separate the art from the artist, additionally it helps when other people gets to say where the art could go even if questionable men like Singer or Whedon set the foundation for the art.
    There is a point to be made here. Should we stop looking at the Mona Lisa because daVinci was a jerk?

on the other hand, the referenced scene is pretty laughable as "masterpiece VFX" goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    There is a point to be made here. Should we stop looking at the Mona Lisa because daVinci was a jerk?
    it is up to every individual

on the other hand, the referenced scene is pretty laughable as "masterpiece VFX" goes.
    LOL, It was a masterpiece VFX from a pure objective film making criticism, the only people that were using this type of VFX were not using it for comic books movies but hard sci-fi movies like Gravity and maybe Avatar. the time in a bottle scene is likely the best use of
    VFX-Cinematography and Sound in a comic movie of the last decade, and I will easily back it up. which is why it is tragic because the person behind it may be a paedophile.

Also that is part of the problem, part of the reason, we cannot not sometimes separate the art from the artist.

the first time we heard about the accusation about Bryan Singer was when Days of Future past was released but the response of that movie overshadowed everything and Singer's accusation was no joke, they were worse than Joss Whedon because Singer was accused of assaulting underage boys but part of the reason no one cared was because of things like the quicksilver scene and Evan Peters in it and DOFP as a whole was about one film series returning to top form by the same director who started the film series. Singer hid behind all of that.

I have no doubt things would have been different now if DOFP was released post 2016 in the times up and me too movement, because people would have listened more
    Last edited by Castle; 02-13-2021 at 04:32 PM.

BANNED

LOL, It was a masterpiece VFX from a film making point, the only people that were using this type of VFX were not using it for comic books movies but hard sci-fi movie like Gravity and maybe Avatar. the time in a bottle scene is likely the best use of
    VFX-Cinematography and Sound in a comic movie of the last decade, which is why it is tragic because the person behind it may be a paedophile.
    Sorry. I could swear I saw something in that scene where Pietro changed the direction of a bullet with as much effort as I would use to change the direction of a pencil on my desk. But I guess adherence to realism has its limits. Also, doing what had already been done only in a different genre is not exactly groundbreaking.

BANNED

Sorry. I could swear I see something on that scene where Pietro changed the distraction of a bullet with as much effort as I would use to change the direction of a pencil on my desk. But I guess adherence to realism has its limits. Also, doing what had already been done only in a different genre is not exactly groundbreaking.

Like I always say or tell people when it feels as if the thread is about to shift to a different topic. please start a new topic on the new subject, maybe most groundbreaking VFX moment in comic book movies.

Although I would leave for you to read if you are like me, who is also aspiring to be working in the film industry soon

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-quick...308240107.html
    Close this content
    How Quicksilver's Standout Scene in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Was a Late Addition

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/x-men-dofp-slow-mo-scene/
    How X-Men: Days of Future Past Pulled Off Quicksilver's Crazy Slow-Mo Scene

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...ene-43157.html
    How Did They Film Quicksilver's Amazing X-Men: Days Of Future Past Scene?

this film came out in 2014, I can't think of any other comic film post 2014 that has pushed the VFX genre further after this scene. in fact the genre has gone more backwards with more cartoonish VFX and it speaks of Bryan Singer as a director.

The sad truth is that Bryan Singer was a very talented and skilful folk , who had many landmark moments in the comic book genre. this VFX scene, the one from X2 with Nigthcrawler in the white house or opening a comic film in nazi camps that changed how to write comic films or mostly knowing how to avoid big final act cgi generic battles.

However despite some of this achievements, he could get convicted as a paedophile and be jailed for a long time.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-13-2021 at 04:53 PM.

BANNED

Nightcrawler and Nazi camp were great scenes. Quicksilver changing inertia is just silly and Pepsi commercials were doing freeze frames at the time.

BANNED

Nightcrawler and Nazi camp were great scenes. Quicksilver changing inertia is just silly and Pepsi commercials were doing freeze frames at the time.
    LOL. Not according to my film study class. I will stick to that over Marvel movies fights.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I still love the Mad Max movies even though Mel Gibson is an anti-semite.

I have the complete set of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys DVDs even though Kevin Sorbo is an arrogant right-winger and insurrection supporter.
    Mel also said racist things. one of the worst racist things I ever heard came from Mel Gibson, He told his girlfriend not to go out or she should dress more conservative unless she will be rapped by a pack of N word.

Hollywood sort of forgave Mel after he apologised with Robert Downey Jnr vouching for him and telling people to give him a second chance.

I cannot say I fully support RDJ here but RDJ does seem genuine with the forgive Mel Gibson cause.

I don't see Whedon as a guy who will ever apologise. he does come off as an arrogant narcissist and i do think the success of Avengers went to his head a lot more than the usual Hollywood director big break movie.However even if Whedon apologises, who can vouch for him in the same manner RDJ did for Mel Gibson?
    Last edited by Castle; 02-13-2021 at 05:35 PM.

BANNED

LOL. Not according to my film study class. I will stick to that over Marvel movies fights.
    I am unclear about what your film studies class taught you. That Pepsi commercials weren't doing those FX at the time?

BANNED

I am unclear about what your film studies class taught you. That Pepsi commercials weren't doing those FX at the time?
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...ene-43157.html
    ''What was amazing about the Quicksilver scene is that it’s somewhat visual effects, but it is mostly special effects and camera work. Meaning we had a high-speed camera – a bunch of cameras – that were on rigs that were circling with him. So most of that [scene] was shot in camera. Yeah, because it was shot at super-high speeds. If you go on the Internet and search super-high-speed photography, it’s all of those effects like where he touches the guy’s cheek and it bends. It’s just because the camera has been so sped up. It’s not a visual effect. The only visual effect in that movie is some of the stuff in the air. I mean, some of the stuff that’s flying through the air isn’t real, because we couldn’t control rice particles. But some of the things in the air ARE real. … Bryan had a very clear focus on what he wanted in that sequence. He had been showing us photography tricks online [for a while]. He and [Newton] Tom Sigel, the DP, had such a clear focus from the beginning, which they manifested. And that’s what’s most impressive to me."
    The scene was not even Visual effects, it was more than that and that is what made it such a land mark for comic films in 2014. Notice how they talk so deeply about photography? this is one of the key elements to having the best cinematography your movie can get, moslty when you are going practical with effects.

Please stop making this harder for future x-men movies. they are already never going to do any better than what DOFP or Logan already did. We don't need to be reminded of that more than we should. I will also advice not to reply to me any further unless it is about a director's work and how that can sometimes cover up their crimes in the right time at the wrong place, this is even the first reason I posted that scene from the movie to show how Bryan Singer hid for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Pretty much this. I can watch any Pixar movie that John Lassetter produced/directed with no issue at all. But I just can’t listen to any of R. Kelly’s old songs without feeling sick to my stomach.
    R kelly was one of the worst ones and I am guilty because I was still listening to his classics songs like 12 Play , Happy People, the storm is over. I loved those songs. still do. However the r kelly documentary on lifetime was so disturbing. I now only listen to Aaliyah's second and 3rd album and not her first because that was all written and produced by r kelly.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-13-2021 at 06:40 PM.