Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

A smart play on AT&T's part. (Although I don't think the corporation does F all, to help sell comics, the source that have made them millions at the box office) I heard they were nervous about the changes, as they have a vested interest in keeping certain characters alligned with the status quo.

I even heard a rumour full blown 5G was going to make Wonder Woman a man?!? WTF, That's a horrible idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    A smart play on AT&T's part. (Although I don't think the corporation does F all, to help sell comics, the source that have made them millions at the box office) I heard they were nervous about the changes, as they have a vested interest in keeping certain characters alligned with the status quo.

I even heard a rumour full blown 5G was going to make Wonder Woman a man?!? WTF, That's a horrible idea!!!
    In the current social climate, I highly doubt that.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Timeline is one thing. But suddenly aging up and replacing basically all of the well known characters, is not a good idea. Especially on such a large scale as what was being leaked.
    What's the point of a timeline if the characters don't age ?

Seriously, at that point the only thing DC needs to make comics even less appealing compared to manga is to resume the massive use of 'one issue - one story arc" of ages past.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    In the current social climate, I highly doubt that.
    It was circulating on you tube comic shows and the net and while back. Reading further on it, the rumour appears to be to have Wonder Woman become a male identified woman? which makes a little bit more sense. I still think it's a bad idea though, it seems politically motivated, and would probably alienate most Wonder Woman fans.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Seriously, at that point the only thing DC needs to make comics even less appealing compared to manga is to resume the massive use of 'one issue - one story arc" of ages past.
    They could have had the titans take over. not as replacements or league members. But, as themselves . Have the league disbanded, due to public losing faith . It could be a huge event. Give the titans back their importance and change titles. The timeskip could have happened, it would been a progression.
    Donna troy-wonderwoman
    Dick grayson-batman
    Superman - lor zod or val zod
    Flash-wally west
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-03-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That was mostly Didio from what I understand. Now that he's out, it's just DC trying to work around what he already put in place.
    DC half assing big changes predates Didio by quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Timeline is one thing. But suddenly aging up and replacing basically all of the well known characters, is not a good idea. Especially on such a large scale as what was being leaked.
    so, in short, yes it's DC taking a big swing but actually only half-assing it. people have been moaning and complaining about the timeline not making sense, and what is or isn't canon; aging up and replacements is the logical outcome of everything happening.

it sounds like a direction that could actually be interesting as oppose to most everything else that DC has putting a massive highlight on and have pushed in the last few years. i don't see the point of having a initiative like this just to half ass it, which is the exact reason they are in the situation in the first place. all it'll do is have a portion of the fans annoyed that it's happening regardless of what they do with it, for as long as they're doing it, and another section that are intrigued by what they're doing but annoyed that they are half assing it.

that's assuming this is actually what's going on behind the scenes.

other than a timeline divided into generations and that the fifth generation/incoming generation is called 5G, we actually don't know they're doing with 5G, anything tangible anyway, besides whatever Bleeding cool says. it sounds more to me like bleeding cool never had and still doesn't have a full grasp on what's going on, just connecting rumblings. it never seemed plausible that they were going to replace every hero line-wide, and some of the choices weren't just dark horse picks, they just didn't make sense (i.e Owen Mercer). nonetheless, it would be foolish of DC to have their landscape be divvied up by generations and have only some aspects progress into the current generation while others don't; it's just them repeating the same mistakes they made with COIE and the New52.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-03-2020 at 11:52 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

I they still sort out the ages of the characters a little bit.

And I hope they correct the order of events in their timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    DC half assing big changes predates Didio by quite a bit

so, in short, yes it's DC taking a big swing but actually only half-assing it. people have been moaning and complaining about the timeline not making sense, and what is or isn't canon; aging up and replacements is the logical outcome of everything happening.

it sounds like a direction that could actually be interesting as oppose to most everything else that DC has putting a massive highlight on and have pushed in the last few years. i don't see the point of having a initiative like this just to half ass it, which is the exact reason they are in the situation in the first place. all it'll do is have a portion of the fans annoyed that it's happening regardless of what they do with it, for as long as they're doing it, and another section that are intrigued by what they're doing but annoyed that they are half assing it.

that's assuming this is actually what's going on behind the scenes.

other than a timeline divided into generations and that the fifth generation/incoming generation is called 5G, we actually don't know they're doing with 5G, anything tangible anyway, besides whatever Bleeding cool says. it sounds more to me like bleeding cool never had and still doesn't have a full grasp on what's going on, just connecting rumblings. it never seemed plausible that they were going to replace every hero line-wide, and some of the choices weren't just dark horse picks, they just didn't make sense (i.e Owen Mercer). nonetheless, it would be foolish of DC to have their landscape be divvied up by generations and have only some aspects progress into the current generation while others don't; it's just them repeating the same mistakes they made with COIE and the New52.
    It'll end very poorly. I'll support any new characters (or new persons under the masks) I can afford to, but now I doubt anything good will come out of it. More half-assed attempt from DC to expend its readership while pandering to older fans instead of making a bold move and supporting it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Well I'm not going to pretend I'm not relieved if this is true. I'm so tired of DC trying desperately to shake up a status quo than just committing to telling stories about their characters. A lot of the 5G rumors didn't sound good and I was only expecting to try two books.

Ultimately, we'll see what happens next when solicits come out, but overall the further we get from 5G the happier I'll be.

To tentpole stuff ala Mavel.

For the last 40-50 years Marvels timeline has roughly been...

Human Torch/Namor/Cap/X AMOUNT OF TIME/F4/Spiderman/X-men/Hulk/Thor/Ironman/Ant-man/Avengers etc.

I've no damn clue whats going on at DC. Sometimes its the JSA, others its the Crimson Avenger, Superman etc

Astonishing Member

It'll end very poorly. I'll support any new characters (or new persons under the masks) I can afford to, but now I doubt anything good will come out of it. More half-assed attempt from DC to expend its readership while pandering to older fans instead of making a bold move and supporting it.
    How do you mean pandering to older fans

Older than whom

Pandering how

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    How do you mean pandering to older fans

Older than whom

Pandering how
    Instead of saying that they'll have actual progression, which means that older characters will be semi-retired and new ones taking their place, which led to a lot of vocal anger by a lot of the readers who were already up in arms against the New 52 and any change to the character they read as kid/teenagers. The same crowd who killed the New Age of Heroes because "those are new characters in new mantles, so it won't work so I won't even support them" and is now ups in arm at the idea that, "oh my Goddess, Batman may not be Bruce Wayne not because he's "dead" but just too damn old and a black man is now under the cowl!"

DC could (should) have said "screw it, we're going full speed ahead, because it's time that mainstream Superheroes comics shed the never progressing aspect and finally be reignited, with the passing of time, generations and the like!".

Instead, we'll just have more of the same characters, and I'm willing to bet that they'll be rehashing the same tropes and stories. Again, and again. And again.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Instead of saying that they'll have actual progression, which means that older characters will be semi-retired and new ones taking their place, which led to a lot of vocal anger by a lot of the readers who were already up in arms against the New 52 and any change to the character they read as kid/teenagers. The same crowd who killed the New Age of Heroes because "those are new characters in new mantles, so it won't work so I won't even support them" and is now ups in arm at the idea that, "oh my Goddess, Batman may not be Bruce Wayne not because he's "dead" but just too damn old and a black man is now under the cowl!"

DC could (should) have said "screw it, we're going full speed ahead, because it's time that mainstream Superheroes comics shed the never progressing aspect and finally be reignited, with the passing of time, generations and the like!".

Instead, we'll just have more of the same characters, and I'm willing to bet that they'll be rehashing the same tropes and stories. Again, and again. And again.
    Most new age heroes looked like avengers rip-offs.Its marketing didn't help either. that's not on people. Besides, the market isn't huge enough and nobody expected all of them to stay.
    Fine, the league is aged up and retired. Who is the new a team? A buch of random characters. Ok. What about the other former sidekicks and current ones ? Jon hasn't had nearly enough time to be fleshed out as a protagonist,away from his base archetype. Let alone superman. This is especially true after the age up. You expect people to be ok with jon being of greater importance than conner or val zod.. Etc. You expect people to be happy that dick grayson will be playing second fiddle to luke fox.

The New Age of Heroes were written off as soon as they were announced. Most readers didn't even glance in their directions, because they were new heroes, with new mantles. That they were rip-off is only true at a superficial level, DC did try (and in most case succeeded) in making them unique, expanding a lot of their mythos in doing so (hello, Immortal Men and the Five Houses of the Immortals).

But, what a surprise, aside from the one book where established characters were present, all of them floundered, and at least one of those (The Silencer) didn't do so because of artists or anything, but a clear lack of support for the readership, despite how touching and sympathetic the Main Character is. Another, Sideways, even had Rocafort for almost all its issues and yet was left to rot by the readership - and it can't be for a supposed lack in qualities, when Supersons, of all books, sold a lot more with such terrible storylines and characterizations.

Or, less recently, New Superman. Why isn't this book still an ongoing series if not because most readers of DC actively reject new things. It's blatant on those forums that most of the readership only wants more of the same stories, with the same characters, the same teams, and so and so. And no actual progression, only the appearance of it.

Astonishing Member

To establish what the history of the DC Universe is. Who the characters are, what their origins are, what their relationships are, what they've experienced.