Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Asgardians of The Galaxy Appreciation Redux....I'm bringing it back...

As the old one was closed I am opening this one. I love the series for many reasons but the big one is this....even though many of these characters have been around for a while...they are not the A team of supers (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spidey, Wolverine). Just a bunch of Asgardian and Asgardian adjacent characters brought together...and for me it works.

The personalities both mesh and conflict at times depending on the circumstances. Thunderstrike just trying to strike up a conversation with Annabelle about her GF and getting dissed to Thunderstrike trying to get to Annabelle to protect her while escaping the Nova Corp before Kid Loki hacked and jacked the Nova Helmet for her. Skurge as the wise old warrior being something of a mentor to Thunderstrike. Kid Loki up to his shenanigans...but the sorrow he seemed to project before disappearing. And don't even get me started on Throg: Frog of Thunder....even he works and does not come off as silly to me.

With the War of Realms coming to an end....will this last beyond the event??
    Last edited by Chris0013; 05-22-2019 at 05:09 PM.

I thought it was a fun book, and wish it could continue longer, but I suspect the WotR arc is the end for it. I guess we'll know for sure when the solicits for August hit, but with their ship's power source confiscated, half of one team member removed from the equation (i know Annabelle was the one Loki said he was recruiting, but still. I suspect she will want to spend time on Earth with Ren) and all, it's not looking like they're really going to be able to do much in the wider galaxy.

But maybe it could be brought back as a new Defenders or something.

Also, still waiting to see what part the Naglfar Armada will play in WotR. It just feels like a Chekov's Gun, and i can't see them not using it in the event, somehow.

I’m wondering if it’ll Be relaunched with Thor at the helm... movie synergy?

BANNED

I don't think the book has been particularly strong, and I didn't really see it making it to more than two volumes anyways, but it did have enjoyable moments, and I was glad to see someone making use of Skurge and Angela.

Sure, the book could continue, but without Kid Loki or Valkyrie it's an even harder sell. Thunderstrike and Throg are hardly gonna pull in readers. If they attached Sif & Beta Ray Bill to the roster it might have a better chance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I don't think the book has been particularly strong, and I didn't really see it making it to more than two volumes anyways, but it did have enjoyable moments, and I was glad to see someone making use of Skurge and Angela.

Sure, the book could continue, but without Kid Loki or Valkyrie it's an even harder sell. Thunderstrike and Throg are hardly gonna pull in readers. If they attached Sif & Beta Ray Bill to the roster it might have a better chance.
    Bills kind of busy right now...

What is going to suck is that if/when this ends...no one is going to pick up these characters and someone is going to say "Skurge needs to go back to rando-basic villain".

I've actually really enjoyed this book, much more than I thought I would. The character interactions have really been exciting and interesting and compelling. I am a little put off by the movie synergy, but that won't hamper my enjoyment of this book. I hope that it will continue beyond WoR, but I suspect not.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm enjoying the book a lot. It's a perfect middle ground book with lots of possible ideas and crossovers. Thor can pop in. The GotG or just Beta Ray Bill can show up. Jane Foster's Valkyrie is a near no brainer that should show up. People need to be more open to the canvas of what this title represents.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Was looking at the recent Marvel Solicits and didn't see an Asgardians of the Galaxy.

Is issue #10 the last one?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Bills kind of busy right now...

What is going to suck is that if/when this ends...no one is going to pick up these characters and someone is going to say "Skurge needs to go back to rando-basic villain".
    Skurge is originally from Jotunheim, right? well, lit's looking like Loki's book will take place at least partially in Jotunheim, because he will be king there, so maybe Skurge can show up there as part of the supporting cast. But in general yeah most of these characters will be falling into limbo, I don't think we will be seeing Thunderstrike or Throg again any time soon. Tho Angela looks to be showing up in the new weekly Avengers book.

Extraordinary Member

Kind of disappointed that there were not a couple of reunions. Skurge and Enchantress would have been interesting. As well Kevin and Gruenhilda.....especially in War of The Realms with the death of all the Valkyries.

I liked this book a lot.

damn, Angela was a SAVAGE in this last chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I liked this book a lot.

damn, Angela was a SAVAGE in this last chapter.
    Absolutely SAVAGE! Sad that the book ended, but it seems like there might be another volume coming? Would be interested in seeing more.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Absolutely SAVAGE! Sad that the book ended, but it seems like there might be another volume coming? Would be interested in seeing more.
    I hope so but the way Cullen Bunn talked about it's end, I doubt it.

Astonishing Member

Has been a favourite of mine since it started

Hope the characters stick around somewhere

Ultimately this whole run has been a disappointment to me. It showed promise very briefly but never really found its feet. Bunn seems to suggest it suffered because of tie-ins but ultimately I am not sure this book would even have got the nod in the first place if not for those links to the two events it intersected.

IMO it is duplicitous to suggest that it properly tied into Infinity Wars in the first place. Then, the Ego arc was entirely throw-away and if anything damaged Angela because it treated her relationship with Sera poorly. Then, Bunn did what he often does and focused on loose story threads from his other cancelled books. When he did this in X-Men Blue he had more space and ultimately that run was better IMO, but here the space was limited and the Annabelle story felt squeezed in and a little self-serving of his own creation even though I was pleased he did it.

This last issue feels very rushed, which I guess is understandable given the cancellation. This could have done with one extra issue to make the story breathe a little, but I don't really see anything to suggest this would have significantly improved if it had another arc.

It will be interesting to see what comes next, but this wasn't a great launch for a more cosmic Asgardian book.