View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In the new Legion relaunch, every classic Legionnaire is included in Bendis' new lineup, *except* that he seemingly surgically removed Invisible Kid 2 (Jacques Foccault) and Tyroc, the two black characters, only to belatedly realize his mistake and recall and pulp the first issues to replace them with versions with recolored Lightning Lad and Lightning Lad as black characters instead.

That's just crazy, to me. There are black Legionnaires he *could* have used. Pre-GDS (Tyroc and Invisible Jacques), much more recent (Glorith and Mwindaji), and from the Reboot (Catspaw, XS, GEAR, Kid Quantum 2). Ditto, there are three or four established Asian members (Myg/Karate Kid 2, Dragonmage, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid 2).

But he got rid of all of them, and racebent some of the formerly white folk, so, IMO, that speaks to him having *zero* confidence in any of the pre-existing black or Asian characters...
    Yeah, the decisions to race-bend the Legion made no sense to me.

I’ve would love to see DC give Bloodwynd another shot. I think he has a really cool costume and interesting power set. The name could use some work though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't know how much confidence DC has in its black characters, but I can understand if the company doesn't have a lot in them. The two most prominent and visible black characters DC has--John Stewart and Cyborg--are both fatally flawed...or at least severely handicapped. One is wearing a white man's clothes, with a white man's ring, in a white man's story, and standing in a white man's shadow, while the other is a robotic freak. *sigh* I apologize if it seems like I'm "tearing down" someone's favorite characters. I'm just stating the facts as I see them. The rest of the black characters are C-listers that don't have a lot going for them (decent solo runs, mythologies, villains, support cast and so on), though kudos to Black Lightning for having his own show and his own...I hesitate to call it a "mythology"...his own world, even if it's one I don't particular care for.

So, the company is in a bit of a tough spot in this regard. There are things the company can do, like re-visioning some of these characters, but I don't see that happening...at least, not any time soon.
    What do you feel needs to happen to get more interested in these characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’ve would love to see DC give Bloodwynd another shot. I think he has a really cool costume and interesting power set. The name could use some work though.

I am right there with you! I would love a Bloodwynd: Rebirth, sure the name is kinda cheesy, but it's comics, I say just lean in.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

bloodwynd is his last name right? He seems pretty cool and I always like to see more magic based black chatacters since that's something we rarely touch on.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

In the new Legion relaunch, every classic Legionnaire is included in Bendis' new lineup, *except* that he seemingly surgically removed Invisible Kid 2 (Jacques Foccault) and Tyroc, the two black characters, only to belatedly realize his mistake and recall and pulp the first issues to replace them with versions with recolored Lightning Lad and Lightning Lad as black characters instead.

That's just crazy, to me. There are black Legionnaires he *could* have used. Pre-GDS (Tyroc and Invisible Jacques), much more recent (Glorith and Mwindaji), and from the Reboot (Catspaw, XS, GEAR, Kid Quantum 2). Ditto, there are three or four established Asian members (Myg/Karate Kid 2, Dragonmage, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid 2).

But he got rid of all of them, and racebent some of the formerly white folk, so, IMO, that speaks to him having *zero* confidence in any of the pre-existing black or Asian characters...
    I said this too. There was no point in racebending the Legion. DC clearly don't have their black characters in mind or at least the ones not obvious.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    bloodwynd is his last name right? He seems pretty cool and I always like to see more magic based black chatacters since that's something we rarely touch on.
    Bloodwynd becoming his own is something I wish DC does already. We barely have black magic users in and out of comics.

Speaking of black magic users, I'd hope to see Anita Fite return. But I'm not sure how I feel about them using voodoo which is an actual religion as the source of her powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Bloodwynd becoming his own is something I wish DC does already. We barely have black magic users in and out of comics.
    I'd rather see more of Dr. Mist/Nommo in a sort of Phantom Stranger role, popping up to drop cryptic hints of upcoming supernatural badness, or pointing the heroes to the magical mcguffin that can save the day (which he may have created centuries ago, and left lying around, awaiting this very day!).

Bloodwynd and his ties to necromancy are indeed unique, since that's rarely, if ever, a power associated with good guys, but I'd also want to steer him away from being DC's version of Brother Voodoo...

Vixen seems like a natural to have supernatural allies and / or foes tied into Zambesi mysticism, perhaps seeking to tap into the Tantu Totem to 'steal her powers,' or representing other totems, or tapping into the same sorts of powers in other ways. (Maybe the old priestess/marabout can't channel the strength of an elephant or speed of a cheetah, but she can speak to and control actual elephants and cheetahs, or curse others to turn into animals reflective of their nature (so that an craven opportunistic unsavory guy always turns into a vulture or jackal, for instance)...)

Incredible Member

I'd rather see more of Dr. Mist/Nommo in a sort of Phantom Stranger role, popping up to drop cryptic hints of upcoming supernatural badness, or pointing the heroes to the magical mcguffin that can save the day (which he may have created centuries ago, and left lying around, awaiting this very day!).

Bloodwynd and his ties to necromancy are indeed unique, since that's rarely, if ever, a power associated with good guys, but I'd also want to steer him away from being DC's version of Brother Voodoo...

Vixen seems like a natural to have supernatural allies and / or foes tied into Zambesi mysticism, perhaps seeking to tap into the Tantu Totem to 'steal her powers,' or representing other totems, or tapping into the same sorts of powers in other ways. (Maybe the old priestess/marabout can't channel the strength of an elephant or speed of a cheetah, but she can speak to and control actual elephants and cheetahs, or curse others to turn into animals reflective of their nature (so that an craven opportunistic unsavory guy always turns into a vulture or jackal, for instance)...)
    There are some interesting ideas here. I'm not sure how I feel Dr. Mist should just give information from time to time. He would basically be a walking plot device and relegated into tiny roles just like cyborg and we know how that turned out.

Bloodwynd seems cool, but I'm not sure who brother voodoo is. I dont know much about this character, though always imagined him to be like Soma from the Castlevania series. Using blood weapons and using the abilities of demon souls.

These ideas for Vixen just proves that there is so many ways to write interesting stories about her. Maybe one of her adventures has her meeting her the past totem bearers including Tantu. Or another would be diving into Anansi stories to find some artifact he had gotten and misplaced in all of his many tricks. For the character who almost got her own solo many years ago, you would think they would keep trying to push her.

Incredible Member

Montage-of-black-superheroes-e1361338750173.jpg
    I figure these are the most popular amd prevalent Black superheroes that people know and recognize.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I figure these are the most popular amd prevalent Black superheroes that people know and recognize.
    I wanted to ask why Static was omitted, but then it dawned on me... is he even popular amongst young people anymore? The generation who grew up with him, well we're pushing 30 or older. Still an absolute shame how much that character has been squandered.

Steel isn't as prominent or recognizable as he was, Aqualad and Kid Flash are probably more recognizable and popular nowadays.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

There are some interesting ideas here. I'm not sure how I feel Dr. Mist should just give information from time to time. He would basically be a walking plot device and relegated into tiny roles just like cyborg and we know how that turned out.

Bloodwynd seems cool, but I'm not sure who brother voodoo is. I dont know much about this character, though always imagined him to be like Soma from the Castlevania series. Using blood weapons and using the abilities of demon souls.

These ideas for Vixen just proves that there is so many ways to write interesting stories about her. Maybe one of her adventures has her meeting her the past totem bearers including Tantu. Or another would be diving into Anansi stories to find some artifact he had gotten and misplaced in all of his many tricks. For the character who almost got her own solo many years ago, you would think they would keep trying to push her.
    I just find it extremely odd that DC was willing and ready to give Vixen a solo ongoing series back in the late 1970s, but in the 21st century, when there are so many calls for diversity, DC is not willing to give her a solo. However, DC is willing to give OTHER characters solo ongoing series and give them big roles after they were just created. Something very odd is going on with DC and Vixen on the comic book side of things.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 10-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I wanted to ask why Static was omitted, but then it dawned on me... is he even popular amongst young people anymore? The generation who grew up with him, well we're pushing 30 or older. Still an absolute shame how much that character has been squandered.
    It's amazing how they fumbled that but it probably has more to do with Milestone.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8