Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Kevin Feige working on a Star Wars Movie

Niffleheim

So Sony Pictures lied? Lol! God! I hope this isn't used as justification that Kennedy is a bad producer.

I feel like this is PR and Disney is being proactive in trying to find solutions to Galaxy Edge low attendance

Good news, I think. Feige has done well with the MCU and seems to have an eye for good storytelling in the blockbuster format.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I was waiting for something like this. For Disney to pull a fantastic strategy to kill the George Lucas dislike star wars news.

That been said, this is nothing relevant or huge. I think it is also a bad idea creative wise because it shows Disney has not learned anything. You can't make star wars like the MCU. Star Wars is above that. This is why last jedi had so many problems already.

Disney has already used some of Feige's style and it was not well accepted.

Niffleheim

You're prejudging an outcome that hasn't even been made.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I was waiting for something like this. For Disney to pull a fantastic strategy to kill the George Lucas dislike star wars news.

That been said, this is nothing relevant or huge. I think it is also a bad idea creative wise because it shows Disney has not learned anything. You can't make star wars like the MCU. Star Wars is above that. This is why last jedi had so many problems already.

Disney has already used some of Feige's style and it was not well accepted.
    All of Marvel's movies (with the exception of Thor 2 and TIH) have been critical and commercial successes.

If he can bring the same level of diligence that he brought to the MCU to Star Wars, then it should be in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All of Marvel's movies (with the exception of Thor 2 and TIH) have been critical and commercial successes.

If he can bring the same level of diligence that he brought to the MCU to Star Wars, then it should be in good hands.
    The Disney critical and commercial success that means nothing anymore. look at force awakens that Lucas claims to dislike to the point of betrayal? it was a critical and commercial success?

Feige head running a star wars film from his marvel track record is derivative and not good enough for star wars, star wars needs a superior story telling format to mcu movies. remember what Lucas said? force awakens did nothing new, not in story, visual, characters. zero. both force awakens and marvel are cut from the same film making branch. the original star wars was from Lucas.

Let disney try to hire Ridley Scott and Damien Chazelle for star wars. my guess is they can't and won't because disney loves to do things generic and love people they can easily control who will be their yes man without challenging any of their bad choices, Feige is that type of guy. that is why they like him. Feige could have done more for marvel by now even if it meant clashing with disney and winning and he has failed at it. he should not get star wars for that alone.

I used that video as an example to give an insight of what was wrong with last jedi, things like the Feige marvel humor that was used in the movie. again,that is quickly ignored because the movies are critical and commercial success, If this stuff mattered, star wars wont be in the big mess they are now.

Star Wars needs a person like James Mangold to turns things around not Kevin Feige.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-26-2019 at 03:48 AM.

I love Disney (been a huge fan of all things Disney for as long as I can remember) and personally am glad that SW is in their hands. Just pre-ordered Disney+ a few days ago. Can't wait to check it out!! I'll finally get to finish my Darkwing Duck collection (since Disney failed to release them all on dvd). I hope Aladdin the Series joins the lineup soon after it's launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    I hope this isn't used as justification that Kennedy is a bad producer.
    What other conclusion can we possibly draw from this?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

The Disney critical and commercial success that means nothing anymore. look at force awakens that Lucas claims to dislike to the point of betrayal? it was a critical and commercial success?
    Force Awakens was a massive critical and commercial success. Lucas not liking it doesn't supersede the words of critics and fans.

Feige head running a star wars film from his marvel track record is derivative and not good enough for star wars, star wars needs a superior story telling format to mcu movies. remember what Lucas said? force awakens did nothing new, not in story, visual, characters. zero. both force awakens and marvel are cut from the same film making branch. the original star wars was from Lucas.
    Again, one man's words doesn't supersede the feelings of audiences and critics.

Let disney try to hire Ridley Scott and Damien Chazelle for star wars. my guess is they can't and won't because disney loves to do things generic and love people they can easily control who will be their yes man without challenging any of their bad choices, Feige is that type of guy. that is why they like him. Feige could have done more for marvel by now even if it meant clashing with disney and winning and he has failed at it. he should not get star wars for that alone.

I used that video as an example to give an insight of what was wrong with last jedi, things like the Feige marvel humor that was used in the movie. again,that is quickly ignored because the movies are critical and commercial success, If this stuff mattered, star wars wont be in the big mess they are now.

Star Wars needs a person like James Mangold to turns things around not Kevin Feige.
    Again, Feige's success is unprecedented and he's done it working with some of the best upcoming talent around be it behind or in front of the camera. You and some people might not like it (which is fair) but if the general audience and the critics like it, Marvel/Disney will and should continue to focus on that. Why should Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm please a few people that literally have no impact on their business when the paying public and the folks that actually give them awards love what they do?
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-26-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What other conclusion can we possibly draw from this?
    Anything that isn't a projection of your own feelings of the quality of the sequel trilogy in the face of massive profits and both critical acclaim from the majority of critics and movie goers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Anything that isn't a projection of your own feelings of the quality of the sequel trilogy in the face of massive profits and both critical acclaim from the majority of critics and movie goers.
    It's actually odd.

I didn't like The Last Jedi...at all. But I can't argue (with a straight face) that Disney's Star Wars haven't been massive hits.

That simply flies in the face of reality. My not liking it doesn't change its success.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's actually odd.

I didn't like The Last Jedi...at all. But I can't argue (with a straight face) that Disney's Star Wars haven't been massive hits.

That simply flies in the face of reality. My not liking it doesn't change its success.
    I don't see it as odd, barring Rogue One and thinking Solo was at least entertaining, I haven't liked the sequel trilogy at all but the reality is that most did and they are hugely successful financially and arguing against reality is just silly.

A lot to unpack.

1. With this news Rise of the Skywalker is now officially a lame duck. TLJ soured me, but the actors were good and deserved better.

2. People will say that Disney has lost faith in Kathleen Kennedy, and they are probably right. This is worse than being fired. Being made into a figurehead, the boss in name only.

3. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss still have to make their Star Wars stuff. Feige's movie will get made as well. So who is the odd man out? It's Rian Johnson! Such a bummer because he was totally going to make his trilogy, eventhough Iger never mentions him while discussing Star Wars but mentions everyone else.

4. I guess that vocal minority wasn't such a minority after all? Remember how it was just a few trolls? Then it was Russian bots. Then it was a vocal minority. Now we have arrived at a split fanbase.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Agreed, I think it's a result of Bob Iger's feelings about the missteps that have been taken with Star Wars, feelings that he has been very public about lately.