Page 342 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346352392442842 ... LastLast
Results 5,116 to 5,130 of 15079
    Ultimate Member

Especially with all the unfortunate drama between the Avengers and X-Men both in the MU and the real world

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Because it really doesn't do any good unless both characters are D list. Otherwise, one fan base is always gonna be pissed about the other being a "sidekick" and they are always gonna clamor for more. Look at storm fans crying the books weren't called "BP and Storm." Which is wild, because they should be used to her thrown in the background... that's her whole career. Hell, being elevated to partner was a promotion from back up singer.

Sam and Misty can work because Misty has no fan base. Luke and JJ can work because JJ really has no fan base outside of one storyline and Luke ain't doing much better lol. Monica and Adam work because neither on them are in anything lol. Gambit and Rogue can work (is it still working? I have no idea) because they are background X men characters ala storm.

But stuff like Superman and Wonder Woman will never work long term.
    Pretty much. Taking two characters and mashing them together doesn’t work unless they were designed to be a pair from the start or they’re low profile enough where no one would bat an eye if they became a thing. The examples you give show that pretty clearly. If T’Challa has to be in a power couple it’s gotta be from someone in his own mythos and even then I question why he needs a super powered love interest.

Like I said before, MJ and Lois haven’t been shown as helpless, crying civilians in awhile, why do we automatically assume that Monica has to play into comic tropes that haven’t been prominent for at least a decade now? Like Nightshade could easily be brought in as a love interest because she has no real fanbase either. But c’mon, what really makes her so much better than Monica other than the fact she can fight? That’s not to say she couldn’t work, but I don’t hold her in higher esteem just because she can defend herself.

And no Gambit and Rogue aren’t working, I want my man to get a divorce after that Mr. and Mrs. X series lol. And I’m salty Rogue gets to be on the main X-Men book while Gambit out here getting disrespected in garbage tier Excalibur.

Because it really doesn't do any good unless both characters are D list. Otherwise, one fan base is always gonna be pissed about the other being a "sidekick" and they are always gonna clamor for more. Look at storm fans crying the books weren't called "BP and Storm." Which is wild, because they should be used to her thrown in the background... that's her whole career. Hell, being elevated to partner was a promotion from back up singer.

Sam and Misty can work because Misty has no fan base. Luke and JJ can work because JJ really has no fan base outside of one storyline and Luke ain't doing much better lol. Monica and Adam work because neither on them are in anything lol. Gambit and Rogue can work (is it still working? I have no idea) because they are background X men characters ala storm.

But stuff like Superman and Wonder Woman will never work long term.
    According to them, T'Challa was benefiting off Storm's Fame and he was the only one benefitting remember?

Ultimate Member

It's weird because, to the ga, he's probably as famous as she is now

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's weird because, to the ga, he's probably as famous as she is now
    According to them, T'Challa was benefiting off Storm's Fame and he was the only one benefitting remember?
    Hold up.....

Black Panther has over 100+ solo issues and was on series 5 (or 4) when Storm (who only had a MINI to her name) showed up. In terms of comics who needed WHO?

It was not HER that got movie talk started that was HUDLIN. The animated series was suppose to be the start of that. Seeds were being planted long before. Hudlin added her probably in hopes of being able to use her in what would have been a Black Panther movie before IKE stood the way and fueled right wars with Fox.

Like I said before, MJ and Lois haven’t been shown as helpless, crying civilians in awhile, why do we automatically assume that Monica has to play into comic tropes that haven’t been prominent for at least a decade now?
    MJ and Lois have held SOLOS way LONGER than Storm. Lois has over 100 solo issues by herself and that book was one of DC's top sellers beating BATMAN at one time.
    People invested in them to be more because they were being showcased in more than just comics. Same with Catwoman, Harley, Betty & Veronica.

FORGET-you can get Coates final Panther trade on Final Order Cutoff this weekend. Funny the trade will be out before or on the same day of the final issue.
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 05-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

To be fair, not holding a solo doesn't mean a character isn't good.

I think it's reasonable to assume Storm was generally more well known than Black Panther at one point. I don't see how that means he was "benefitting" from her popularity though

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hold up.....

Black Panther has over 100+ solo issues and was on series 5 (or 4) when Storm (who only had a MINI to her name) showed up. In terms of comics who needed WHO?

It was not HER that got movie talk started that was HUDLIN. The animated series was suppose to be the start of that. Seeds were being planted long before. Hudlin added her probably in hopes of being able to use her in what would have been a Black Panther movie before IKE stood the way and fueled right wars with Fox.

MJ and Lois have held SOLOS way LONGER than Storm. Lois has over 100 solo issues by herself and that book was one of DC's top sellers beating BATMAN at one time.
    People invested in them to be more because they were being showcased in more than just comics. Same with Catwoman, Harley, Betty & Veronica.

FORGET-you can get Coates final Panther trade on Final Order Cutoff this weekend. Funny the trade will be out before or on the same day of the final issue.
    Storm was in one of the 90s great cartoons and 4 to 5 movies before BP was mentioned for Civil War. For the general public she was more well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Storm was in one of the 90s great cartoons and 4 to 5 movies before BP was mentioned for Civil War. For the general public she was more well known.
    This

Hence why people were saying T'Challa was benefiting off her popularity

GA, absolutely

But, as we know, that doesn't really do anything for the comics lol

People know freaking Iceman too but other than" ice powers" they probbaly didn't know a thing abotu him lol. Dude was a nothing sandwich til they made him gay.

But, cool name + easy powers that fit name + cartoons can do A LOT for a character to the GA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    This

Hence why people were saying T'Challa was benefiting off her popularity
    Comic wise, that is backed up by nothing

http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...eason-for.html
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Yeah, wasn't he already fairly well known by comic readers before they were married?

GA, absolutely

But, as we know, that doesn't really do anything for the comics lol

People know freaking Iceman too but other than" ice powers" they probbaly didn't know a thing abotu him lol. Dude was a nothing sandwich til they made him gay.

But, cool name + easy powers that fit name + cartoons can do A LOT for a character to the GA.

Comic wise, that is backed up by nothing

http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...eason-for.html
    Poster 'Mik' has used the initials 'ga' is his post which I assumed meant General Audience. That's why I countered Skyvolts post.

Also she was in one of the great arcade games of the 90s too. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Pretty much. Taking two characters and mashing them together doesn’t work unless they were designed to be a pair from the start or they’re low profile enough where no one would bat an eye if they became a thing. The examples you give show that pretty clearly. If T’Challa has to be in a power couple it’s gotta be from someone in his own mythos and even then I question why he needs a super powered love interest.

Like I said before, MJ and Lois haven’t been shown as helpless, crying civilians in awhile, why do we automatically assume that Monica has to play into comic tropes that haven’t been prominent for at least a decade now? Like Nightshade could easily be brought in as a love interest because she has no real fanbase either. But c’mon, what really makes her so much better than Monica other than the fact she can fight? That’s not to say she couldn’t work, but I don’t hold her in higher esteem just because she can defend herself.

And no Gambit and Rogue aren’t working, I want my man to get a divorce after that Mr. and Mrs. X series lol. And I’m salty Rogue gets to be on the main X-Men book while Gambit out here getting disrespected in garbage tier Excalibur.
    oooo a fellow gambit fan in the wild!

Just wait til the race bend MCU gambit and/or rogue and the incoming shitstorm...

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Not really....I am more interested in the 1st born son/Tchalla's the elder brother who was killed during an assasination attempt in Hudlin's run than in Hunter.

We need more from Hunter other than being the resident white guy in Wakanda....with all the resources and spy networks he has, why hasn't he found his real biological family?!?

Tchalla would most DEFINITELY know the answers.

Personally, I would make Hunter the lost prince of a alien civilisation. During an assasination attempt killing Hunter's dad while his mum flees with him. She is chased by assassins who were able to destroy his shop in Earth's orbit but she was able to shoot out Hunter in a pod which crash landed in Wakanda.

Tchalla later tells Hunter of his origins and help Hunter regain his throne against the ursurpers. Hunter is immensely grateful and given his loyalty to Wakanda decides to make his alien kingdom a part of Wakanda cemented in marriage to Shuri.

Hunter's aggressions against Tchalla will decline but micro aggressions will persist even though atbthenens of the day they still love each other as brothers.

With the annex and/partnership with Hunter's alien kingdom....sparks the honest beginnings towards the Inter-galactic Empire of Wakanda starting with inter-planetary trade agreements, then inter-star systems security unions, then inter-galactic treaties, etc
    Why would Hunter want to find them? Even if he did he probably just kill them since they're a reminder that he's not a true wakandan. The man is more loyal to his country than everyone not named t'challa.a punisheresk character who despite being N outsider has eaened his place. Also a fun antagonistic half-brother to Tchalla.

The only knock agaist him is he is white but we all need that one crazy white friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Not really....I am more interested in the 1st born son/Tchalla's the elder brother who was killed during an assasination attempt in Hudlin's run than in Hunter.
    That was Jakarra and he wasn't the oldest

Second in line.

T'challa was first in line. He is the eldest.

It was (another) retcon by Hudlin (to be fair, it was supposed to be a separate thing) having Jakarra die there instead of becoming that purple monster dude... which was retconned back by rise of the BP

Ultimate Member

Poster 'Mik' has used the initials 'ga' is his post which I assumed meant General Audience. That's why I countered Skyvolts post.

Also she was in one of the great arcade games of the 90s too. Lol
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

She's done a lot less in the movies than he has, unfortunately for her