Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So we are to believe that Kevin has to personally dogwalk every aspect of every Marvel production...? Funny how two of the controversial flicks have been Blade and Black Panther, wonder why? Poor Mr. Ali has been kicking around, getting older for the last 3 yrs. At this point we can't get Donald Glover to direct this...? Maybe Marvel needs to stop being so rigid with micromanagement.
    I know someone who got an advanced screening of BP and liked it. The only controversy there is the recast people, who I don't think are being reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    The only controversy there is the recast people, who I don't think are being reasonable
    How is it unreasonable?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    How is it unreasonable?

It's the first movie since he passed and the began production shortly after. People putting a fictional character before his friend and colleagues choosing to honor him is silly. To blow it up into some conspiracy the way some have is ridiculous.

They'll probably recast him, it might take some time. But to throw a fit in the literal first movie after his passing? Embarrassing.

Fantastic Member

It's the first movie since he passed and the began production shortly after. People putting a fictional character before his friend and colleagues choosing to honor him is silly. To blow it up into some conspiracy the way some have is ridiculous.

They'll probably recast him, it might take some time. But to throw a fit in the literal first movie after his passing? Embarrassing.
    You are entitled to your opinions or beliefs, but I think many recasters have been very reasonable. I started off against recasting but was convinced by many of their arguments. Many recasters aren't putting a fictional character before his friends or colleagues or agree that eliminating the character completely is the best way to honor his legacy. Chadwick Boseman's brother has supported the idea of recasting, so is he putting a fictional character before his own flesh and blood? Further, Hollywood has a long history of recasting characters. The recasting talk for Thunderbolt Ross just now is in the air, and William Hurt died just this year. Chadwick Boseman was a very good actor and a better human being, but he is not T'Challa. T'Challa as a character predates him, and one could find it just as unreasonable to say the role shouldn't be recast ever, and not stand by that when it comes to all the other roles that have been recast like Robin Hood, Spartacus, Lara Croft, Superman, Supergirl, Black Canary, Stargirl, Hawkman, Shazam, Dracula, Blade, Spider-Man, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Batman, Joker, Elektra, Wonder Woman, Darkman, Flash, Amanda Waller, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, Zod, Daredevil, Hulk, Catwoman, Penguin, James Bond, and so forth.

Recasting establishes a line and a legacy, it keeps Boseman in the public memory every time there would be a new T'Challa because that then leads to the internet debates over who was better or how each actor plays the role or how the role will change with time.

Marvel/Disney didn't have to stick to the same production schedule. They could've put the movie back and gave the cast and crew time to grieve. They chose to go forward, that wasn't something imposed upon them to my knowledge.

Many recasters are not throwing a fit. Many understand the powerful representational and aspirational effect T'Challa has, particularly when it comes to Black males. They don't want to see a powerful character erased, and I personally am not putting much faith in he might be cast sometime in the future. I've heard those kind of promises before and they rarely happen.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 09-29-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Niffleheim

deleted. .......
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-29-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Personally, I was okay with whatever they decided. I know how close that team and ensemble were to Chadwick. I'm still processing his death and I didn't know him personally. Just a long time admirer who was inspired by his career and actions. I didn't see this as a business decisions but rather a direction decided on by his friends and colleagues.

I firmly believe there will be another T'Challa cast at some point in time. I don't know if recasting him or not would lessen the emotions I'd have upon viewing this film. You're going to feel that loss and the film will carry on as best it can. I'm sure it was not an easy decision that was reached but it was likely one the filmmakers and cast decided on collectively. It's a talented group and I trust they put their all into this film.

The debate over recasting T'Challa speaks to how great a character and a concept the Black Panther is ... if that wasn't evident to everyone after the first film and the multimedia that followed.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    A Minor Blade villain from a 1999 mini series make a premiere in this week episode of She-Hulk, of course as joke character compare to his comic version
    end of spoilers

EmperorJones, Jabare...you guy spoke eloquently about the recast issue. I would still insist that Marvel had options, and their decision to just phase out Black Panther, the character is wrong. I don't buy for a minute that the company is going all in to "honor" Chadwick.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    You are entitled to your opinions or beliefs, but I think many recasters have been very reasonable. I started off against recasting but was convinced by many of their arguments. Many recasters aren't putting a fictional character before his friends or colleagues or agree that eliminating the character completely is the best way to honor his legacy. Chadwick Boseman's brother has supported the idea of recasting, so is he putting a fictional character before his own flesh and blood? Further, Hollywood has a long history of recasting characters. The recasting talk for Thunderbolt Ross just now is in the air, and William Hurt died just this year. Chadwick Boseman was a very good actor and a better human being, but he is not T'Challa. T'Challa as a character predates him, and one could find it just as unreasonable to say the role shouldn't be recast ever, and not stand by that when it comes to all the other roles that have been recast like Robin Hood, Spartacus, Lara Croft, Superman, Supergirl, Black Canary, Stargirl, Hawkman, Shazam, Dracula, Blade, Spider-Man, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Batman, Joker, Elektra, Wonder Woman, Darkman, Flash, Amanda Waller, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, Zod, Daredevil, Hulk, Catwoman, Penguin, James Bond, and so forth.

Recasting establishes a line and a legacy, it keeps Boseman in the public memory every time there would be a new T'Challa because that then leads to the internet debates over who was better or how each actor plays the role or how the role will change with time.

Marvel/Disney didn't have to stick to the same production schedule. They could've put the movie back and gave the cast and crew time to grieve. They chose to go forward, that wasn't something imposed upon them to my knowledge.

Many recasters are not throwing a fit. Many understand the powerful representational and aspirational effect T'Challa has, particularly when it comes to Black males. They don't want to see a powerful character erased, and I personally am not putting much faith in he might be cast sometime in the future. I've heard those kind of promises before and they rarely happen.
    This is what I mean though. Is saying "hey we're going to dedicate this one movie to our friend" the same as "refusing to recast against the wishes of his flesh and blood"? Like these aren't reasonable characterizations of what is going on.

Like seriously, do you think it is reasonable to compare Hurt's characterization of Ross to Chadwick's Black Panther?

It's the black and white/all or nothing characterization of these issues that has been unreasonable.

The rest of your post is how you would choose to honor someone you've never known two years after his death. Of course there are multiple ways to mourn people. In the NBA, when Bill Russell died, some teams retired his jersey, other players decided to wear his jersey out of respect. There is no right or wrong way to go about it, but the ways people go about grieving deserve respect.

Many recasters are not throwing a fit.
    and many many are. and with no insult intended, I don't believe your framing of the "reasonable" position is all that reasonable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Personally, I was okay with whatever they decided. I know how close that team and ensemble were to Chadwick. I'm still processing his death and I didn't know him personally. Just a long time admirer who was inspired by his career and actions. I didn't see this as a business decisions but rather a direction decided on by his friends and colleagues.

I firmly believe there will be another T'Challa cast at some point in time. I don't know if recasting him or not would lessen the emotions I'd have upon viewing this film. You're going to feel that loss and the film will carry on as best it can. I'm sure it was not an easy decision that was reached but it was likely one the filmmakers and cast decided on collectively. It's a talented group and I trust they put their all into this film.

The debate over recasting T'Challa speaks to how great a character and a concept the Black Panther is ... if that wasn't evident to everyone after the first film and the multimedia that followed.
    I agree with most of this. I think the biggest issue I've had is with the black/white thinking of many recasters (even from the user who just responded) as if giving them this one movie to dedicate how they wanted to somehow means they're never going to recast him, or not recasting him within 2 years suddenly means they're disrespecting his memory. It's the impatience and catastrophizing that's characteristic of a lot of comic fans on social media.

like dkrook, respect your posts generally, but is the idea that there's some conspiracy to erase their most successful individual character of the last 5 years just...because? Or is it likely, like has been stated, that his friends decided to honor him. We just got a trailer that was very much designed as a memorial service. While also making it clear the Black Panther character is still around. T'Challa very likely will come back in years to come. Not sure why we all expect everything to happen yesterday.
    Last edited by Tracks; 09-29-2022 at 06:05 PM.

I agree with most of this. I think the biggest issue I've had is with the black/white thinking of many recasters (even from the user who just responded) as if giving them this one movie to dedicate how they wanted to somehow means they're never going to recast him, or not recasting him within 2 years suddenly means they're disrespecting his memory. It's the impatience and catastrophizing that's characteristic of a lot of comic fans on social media.

like dkrook, respect your posts generally, but is the idea that there's some conspiracy to erase their most successful individual character of the last 5 years just...because? Or is it likely, like has been stated, that his friends decided to honor him. We just got a trailer that was very much designed as a memorial service. While also making it clear the Black Panther character is still around. T'Challa very likely will come back in years to come. Not sure why we all expect everything to happen yesterday.
    I hope to god my "friends" don't go against my personal wishes to keep my personal struggle private for profit. I truly do. There it can't be said more plain than that, that is the visceral emotion i feel. All the rest of that stuff be damned as i've said before i didn't even think the first movie was that good.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I hope to god my "friends" don't go against my personal wishes to keep my personal struggle private for profit. I truly do. There it can't be said more plain than that, that is the visceral emotion i feel. All the rest of that stuff be damned as i've said before i didn't even think the first movie was that good.
    Not sure what this was meant to respond to but they're not making a movie about his cancer, and it's not private that he passed away.

Not sure what this was meant to respond to but they're not making a movie about his cancer, and it's not private that he passed away.
    I will never forget the interview with that actor, though i forget his name. And he is in the industry for years and he mentioned thinking chadwick had his wife on set and he thought he was pampered and he cried realizing it wasn't that, he was sick, and chadwick never mentioned it. I will never forget that emotion and that truth. and you can act like the way marvel is doing this isn't forever making his personal tragedy clickbait all you want it is what it is. but i will not play into it. period and good day or evening. Wrong is wrong.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-29-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I will never forget the interview with that actor, though i forget his name. And he is in the industry for years and he mentioned thinking chadwick had his wife on set and he thought he was pampered and he cried realizing it wasn't that he was sick and chadwick never mentioned it. I will never forget that emotion and that truth. and you can act like the way marvel is doing this isn't forever making his personal tragedy clickbait all you want it is what it is. but i will not play into it. period and good day or evening. Wrong is wrong.
    I am truly having trouble following your logic here.

Random actor was a jerk and assumed Chadwick was pampered.

Chadwick didn't want to be public about his illness.

He passed away and the company he worked for is creating something, in part, in his honor.

Whether commercial art can be authentic about anything is a conversation. I don't see how you're connecting that point to Chadwick not wanting to be public with his illness....like do you think his family acknowledging he passed away publicly was violating his wishes somehow?

Niffleheim

The ppl working and making the movie equated the legacy and the death of a real person with a fictional character and then made the death of a real person into a story of a movie. It might not be a cancer story as far as we know but it is crass whichever way you look at it.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough