Page 6 of 179 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    I mean... I don’t necessarily fault Morrison for the idea. Rogue as a happy, sassy chick who punches things and kisses people to steal their powers from the 80s felt so hollow to me. Touch is a vital part of mental health and having a character who completely lacks it with no end in sight shouldn’t be an upbeat flirt. I feel her relationship with Gambit really defines her as someone with depth, really showing the sadness & despair her powers would have on a person. (Rogue also defines Gambit and gave him depth as he’s not just a total man whore looking for a good time).

Had Rogue not gone through all of the heartache related to her relationship with Gambit, I would honestly agree with Morrison that the character makes no goddamn sense. That said, she did go through it and Morrison’s idea is like a decade (at that time) too late.
    Right and I guess I saw her outward brashness and toughness as a sort of facade that she puts on for the world and just to get through life. In quiet moments we get to see a lot of the more morose Rogue. Also I feel like Mystique probably had a stiff upper lip/never let them see you cry outlook on life and taught Rogue the same from her.

But also I like to think Rogue also has a sense of fun and making the most of a crappy situation. Emo Rogue makes more sense to me for a younger teen than a college kid or young adult.

If they did a "young years" Rogue like 13-17, I would like this take more. Especially if we see her being raised by Mystique and Destiny.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Attachment 76384
    From KT on Twitter.
    I needed this. I needed my fix of happy today. Thanks, AppleJ!
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    I needed this. I needed my fix of happy today. Thanks, AppleJ!
    I feel you girl! This fake job can bite me so bad right now.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Right and I guess I saw her outward brashness and toughness as a sort of facade that she puts on for the world and just to get through life. In quiet moments we get to see a lot of the more morose Rogue. Also I feel like Mystique probably had a stiff upper lip/never let them see you cry outlook on life and taught Rogue the same from her.

But also I like to think Rogue also has a sense of fun and making the most of a crappy situation. Emo Rogue makes more sense to me for a younger teen than a college kid or young adult.

If they did a "young years" Rogue like 13-17, I would like this take more. Especially if we see her being raised by Mystique and Destiny.
    Your analysis is basically how I always saw her as well. That's why I always liked her with Gambit - he was able to bring her guard down a little and connect with her in those early Romy years.

Definitely could see her being more emo around 13-17.

When it comes to Morrison, I think he's a great when he's writing DC and original stuff. Not so much with X-Men
    Make Good Art

I was just wondering...was Rogue sucking "Gambit" dry in issue #7 payback for Remy thinking Rogue and Xandra were vaporized in issue #4?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I was just wondering...was Rogue sucking "Gambit" dry in issue #7 payback for Remy thinking Rogue and Xandra were vaporized in issue #4?
    Perhaps a parallel moreso than payback? Though I like my friend Abby's theory on the matter from her Bon Temps review that it might be happening more in their mental perception than physical reality.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

was Rogue sucking “Gambit” dry
    Phrasing!

Not sure I’d use the word payback, but more like meta. Kelly’s calling out the tropes in this arc, like killing off one of the two main leads akin to #4 with Rogue.

Phrasing!

Not sure I’d use the word payback, but more like meta. Kelly’s calling out the tropes in this arc, like killing off one of the two main leads akin to #4 with Rogue.
    Haha! Phrasing! You're an Archer fan too?

I mean... I donÂ’t necessarily fault Morrison for the idea. Rogue as a happy, sassy chick who punches things and kisses people to steal their powers from the 80s felt so hollow to me. Touch is a vital part of mental health and having a character who completely lacks it with no end in sight shouldnÂ’t be an upbeat flirt. I feel her relationship with Gambit really defines her as someone with depth, really showing the sadness & despair her powers would have on a person. (Rogue also defines Gambit and gave him depth as heÂ’s not just a total man whore looking for a good time).

Had Rogue not gone through all of the heartache related to her relationship with Gambit, I would honestly agree with Morrison that the character makes no goddamn sense. That said, she did go through it and MorrisonÂ’s idea is like a decade (at that time) too late.
    I know where he was coming from, in reality someone with Rogue's powers would be more like the Anna Paquin version or 'Evolution' (awkward/loner). I actually loved Evolution Goth Rogue, by far the best character in that series. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, but Rogue really saved it for me.

There's the ongoing debate. People hate Rogue "whining" about her powers, but some like the emotional depth it brings to her character. I personally think the audience needs to empathise with her. I love flying brick Rogue, but vulnerability is important to me and the consequences of her power, but you don't want to overdo it, Milligan's X-Men run is an example of how to NOT write an emotional Rogue or "ROMY" overall. I think Kelly Thompson balances the two things (Flying Brick/Emotional beats) quite well, with humour added. I'd love to see her write her in a team book somewhere down the track.

Attachment 76384
    From KT on Twitter.
    Beautifull

We love you Kelly. No Rogue fan can not love you.

________

And the great art, the only artist that I did not like was that of issue 6, please do not show up anymore, which I think is the same as the Christmas special.

No no, I meant if Rosenberg isn't into Gambit he probably won't be in Uncanny while he's writing it.

As for Agent M . . . Meh. Haters gonna hate.
    Not necessarily, Gambit can be in the cast to be the character of the writer's punching bag, it would not be the first time XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    Not necessarily, Gambit can be in the cast to be the character of the writer's punching bag, it would not be the first time XD.
    You know though, Couplest was right.

Rosenberg used Remy in his Merry X-Men short and I think he was very fair with him and it was totally funny.

So definitely a writer could learn to love or at least tolerate a character they don't particularly like writing at first.

I mean... I donÂ’t necessarily fault Morrison for the idea. Rogue as a happy, sassy chick who punches things and kisses people to steal their powers from the 80s felt so hollow to me. Touch is a vital part of mental health and having a character who completely lacks it with no end in sight shouldnÂ’t be an upbeat flirt. I feel her relationship with Gambit really defines her as someone with depth, really showing the sadness & despair her powers would have on a person. (Rogue also defines Gambit and gave him depth as heÂ’s not just a total man whore looking for a good time).

Had Rogue not gone through all of the heartache related to her relationship with Gambit, I would honestly agree with Morrison that the character makes no goddamn sense. That said, she did go through it and MorrisonÂ’s idea is like a decade (at that time) too late.
    Rogue of the 80's is great and probably fun my favorite Rogue, along with the one of kelly now (and the one of UA although in its majority they ignored its powers of absorption and that it hates it) but it is part so Rogue is so popular, it is fun sexy and flirtatious.

But I understand your point and I share it in part, but I do not agree that it would not make sense, because if she had not adopted that personality, Rogue would not be as popular as it is today, it would just be a more powerful character, but uninteresting.

___

Now EVO Rogue was a bit more realistic, and it was the best and most powerful in XMern EVO and the one that received more development, no fan of Rogue should hate her, it is the best animated version of Rogue, at least in history and in level of power, since I received better treatment than in TAS if they ask me, and by far, and Rogue was not as EMO as they say, at first if it was in that state and it was normal, but after we saw it funny acid and kicks back, it was like a fusion of the Rogue of the 80's, with a touch of gothic, but I found it very funny and flirted too (in fact the only kiss among the protagonists that we saw in that series, gave Rogue to Remy, and we saw other attempts of kiss between them, and much flirting XD), and love that they developed well their original powers, and showed the evolution of the mimes.

It was like in the '80s. Rogue was not afraid to use his absorption powers to kick ass and save the day.

Spectacular Member

I think storylinewise – maybe. Well more like even things out to the reader. Gambit experiences Rogue’s “death” in #4 and then now she’s experienced his “death”. But thanks mikeb, because I didn’t realize how similar the scenes are that they on their knees clutching their dead loved one’s clothing.

Other thought this brings up for me. In Bizarre Love Triangle with Gambit and Rogue doing therapy sessions with Emma, Gambit’s death in MMX #7 is similar to his mind death in that story. Where Emma had to put Gambit in a coma or something afterwards. I thought the reasoning Emma gave was something like that in even in their minds, they couldn’t escape the reality of their no touch situation. Wonder if that will have any significance? I’m really dying to find out more about how Rogue’s powers really work.

Also, if Rogue ever really were to “suck Gambit dry” (Ha! Like AppleJ, I paused at this too!), would he turn into a skeleton? Rogue’s powers take your life force, but has Rogue ever actually killed someone like this? I remember a Wizard magazine cover way back when featuring the X-Men women and Rogue was in the centre holding a skull with a red lipstick kiss on it. So this made me think of this.

Such a sad scene for Rogue. She told him on their first date that she didn’t want to hurt him like she did Cody. And then had to live her worst nightmare. Pretty devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    I think storylinewise – maybe. Well more like even things out to the reader. Gambit experiences Rogue’s “death” in #4 and then now she’s experienced his “death”. But thanks mikeb, because I didn’t realize how similar the scenes are that they on their knees clutching their dead loved one’s clothing.

Other thought this brings up for me. In Bizarre Love Triangle with Gambit and Rogue doing therapy sessions with Emma, Gambit’s death in MMX #7 is similar to his mind death in that story. Where Emma had to put Gambit in a coma or something afterwards. I thought the reasoning Emma gave was something like that in even in their minds, they couldn’t escape the reality of their no touch situation. Wonder if that will have any significance? I’m really dying to find out more about how Rogue’s powers really work.

Also, if Rogue ever really were to “suck Gambit dry” (Ha! Like AppleJ, I paused at this too!), would he turn into a skeleton? Rogue’s powers take your life force, but has Rogue ever actually killed someone like this? I remember a Wizard magazine cover way back when featuring the X-Men women and Rogue was in the centre holding a skull with a red lipstick kiss on it. So this made me think of this.

Such a sad scene for Rogue. She told him on their first date that she didn’t want to hurt him like she did Cody. And then had to live her worst nightmare. Pretty devastating.
    The only time I can recall Rogue doing something like this was back in the Carey era, when she had "The death touch" after she was infested with strain 88. I remember her touching a nurse and killing her.
    Maybe I need think about the double entendre my phrases could be before I post!