Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

How is Diana not cut out for parenthood? I would mind the return of Fury if it's multiverse

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Her having a daughter would be fun but a son or twins would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Certainly. IMHO, Wonder Woman was created by Marston in part to subvert the patriarchal tropes of the times (which haven't changed as much as it should have by now), right? Which two tropes in particular were forced or at least strongly expected of women in those decades?

M & M.

Marriage & Motherhood.

Diana shouldn't ever be eager for either, IMHO.

Also, she is so unstable herself in ... well, everything concerning her franchise, that caring for a child is at least a full 5 years away at the bare minimum.

Also, this desire from some fans for her to have a kid relatively soon reeks of jealousy.

Jealousy of (who else) the World's Finest.

Bruce got 10 - year - old Damian in 2005, but we had been prepped for the idea that Talia had secretly had his kid as far back as 1987's graphic novel SON OF THE DEMON, and revisited in 1996's miniseies KINGDOM COME and again in 1998's THE KINGDOM. Damian's origin seemed completely in character for both Bruce and Talia by 2005.

Clark got 10 - year - old Jon through a much more convoluted route involving continuity shenanigans and time refugee status, BUT... It was a continuation of once-canon marriage that had lasted for literally 20 years real-time. Once that Lois & Clark came "back" for realsies, Jon was a LOT easier to accept (in character for Lois & Clark).

The point is, prior to SUPER SONS, no one was clamoring for Diana to be a parent. Now that we see Bruce and Clark go through the joys and pratfalls of parenthood, some fans want that for Diana, even though it feels completely out of character.

Just because someone is caring in general, doesn't mean they're cut out for parenthood. Diana certainly isn't, and won't be for a very long time.
    While I think you've made some good points regarding the Wonder Verse's instability, I wouldn't go and say Diana isn't fit for motherhood. Of course, the idea has been quite unexplored in a Wonder-centric perspective, while Superman & Batman kind of had those 'imaginary stories' where they deal with their sons. I'd say that the idea that she'd bad at it it's way more out of character than her being a mother, imo.

I mean, I wouldn't want it now, last thing I'd want is to actually care for the character to then get ripped off me when the next author comes. I'd actually want her to regain the old relationships she had with the WG's (especially Diana) and stuff like that, but as I've said before, I wouldn't mind if she had a child. But said child would've been old enough to play superhero, I don't trust DC with children. Last thing I want is Diana and Steve mourning their 2 year old daughter or something like that.

I would not mind one bit not now though they need to give her a base city, a rogue gallery and build her support staff more. Then yes i hope for a boy too so interesting a boy heir that can team up with her and uncle Jason. I wouldn't even mind they use hyper time to bring the kid here. father i would not mind new 52 superman (yea i consider them different)

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How is Diana not cut out for parenthood?
    Well, we had that recent Justice League arc where her son from the future tries to kill her. Also, Hippolyta is usually depicted as a poor mother so it might be a genetic thing (In that same arc, Hippos the bad guy too).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well, we had that recent Justice League arc where her son from the future tries to kill her. Also, Hippolyta is usually depicted as a poor mother so it might be a genetic thing (In that same arc, Hippos the bad guy too).
    Hippolyta is not a bad mother, a bit overwhelming, but she’s not a bad mother per se, poor woman only gets bad writing after bad writing.

Also nothing done by Bryan Hitch counts.

Actually, Hippos being the bad guy was actually a bait and switch. Somehow.

Thankfully Priest (been working on Deathstroke) is taking over for Justice League soon.

Astonishing Member

Certainly. IMHO, Wonder Woman was created by Marston in part to subvert the patriarchal tropes of the times (which haven't changed as much as it should have by now), right? Which two tropes in particular were forced or at least strongly expected of women in those decades?

M & M.

Marriage & Motherhood.

Also, she is so unstable herself in ... well, everything concerning her franchise, that caring for a child is at least a full 5 years away at the bare minimum.

Also, this desire from some fans for her to have a kid relatively soon reeks of jealousy.

Bruce got 10 - year - old Damian in 2005, but we had been prepped for the idea that Talia had secretly had his kid as far back as 1987's graphic novel SON OF THE DEMON, and revisited in 1996's miniseies KINGDOM COME and again in 1998's THE KINGDOM. Damian's origin seemed completely in character for both Bruce and Talia by 2005.

Clark got 10 - year - old Jon through a much more convoluted route involving continuity shenanigans and time refugee status, BUT... It was a continuation of once-canon marriage that had lasted for literally 20 years real-time. Once that Lois & Clark came "back" for realsies, Jon was a LOT easier to accept (in character for Lois & Clark).

The point is, prior to SUPER SONS, no one was clamoring for Diana to be a parent. Now that we see Bruce and Clark go through the joys and pratfalls of parenthood, some fans want that for Diana, even though it feels completely out of character.

Just because someone is caring in general, doesn't mean they're cut out for parenthood. Diana certainly isn't, and won't be for a very long time.
    I appreciate the reply but, I think you're wrong.

As I understand it, Marston wanted to subvert many patriarchal tropes (yay!) in order to give women more opportunities (yay!) - but not as a rejection of marriage and motherhood altogether. It feels outdated that a woman can't be both a powerful, accomplished person and a parent, too.

You make good points that the WW mythology is not as well developed and needs a lot of work in many areas. But, I don't see why that should restrict Diana from being a good mother.

Call me jealous if you want to, but I want The Wondrous Adventures of Wonder Tot and Grandma Hippy!

Astonishing Member

Big reveal - Superman was a really terrible step-dad.

M & M.

Marriage & Motherhood.

1) there is nothing wrong with a woman marrying and having children if she wants to.

2) Steve and Diana actually married and had a child at one point pre Crisis

3) I'm not seeing any evidence provided in your post as to why Diana isn't cut out for motherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Big reveal - Superman was a really terrible step-dad.
    Excuse me. But i disagree with you. What do you base this on? Hunter looked up to Superman. And Clark died when Hunter was pretty young.

Let me try something controversial. A speeded up pregnancy and a child who grows up too fast is not very satisfying to me. Its good. But let me try to fix something using this.

When she bears a child and is in an advanced stage of pregnancy she can leave superheroing for a bit. Let Donna Troy become WW for a short time.

Thereafter after the child's birth she needs some time to take more care of her. I don't know how much time kids need specific care. During this time Diana will return from time to time but not as active as she was earlier. The child's growth may still be speeded up. But not that in one month she/he has reached five years of age. Its faster like the child reaches 5 yrs of growth in 1.5 years of real time. Its feasible.

After a while she has returned to full time heroics but her support system takes sufficient care. Just as a working mother.

Its a rough estimate. If fans desire adjust accordingly. Or forget it and see a birth from clay. I am pointing an issue with a natural child birth not like Damian. With some adjustments and imagination this can be done.

I also tried to bring Donna closer. During her temporary career as WW let her know that whatever she knew was a lie (again). Let Diana know that she thought of Donna was a lie(again). Donna was a child whom Diana or an Amazon rescued in her childood and brought to Themyscira. She grew up as a sister of Diana.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-03-2017 at 02:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Queen Hippolyta would love a grandchild
    Reminded me of Hippolyta's request of Nemesis when she met:

And while I can't find the scan, I recall it ending with Hippolyta telling Tom to get bonking.

Edit: here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Reminded me of Hippolyta's request of Nemesis when she met:

And while I can't find the scan, I recall it ending with Hippolyta telling Tom to get bonking.

Edit: here it is:
    She looks too eager to be a grandmother.

If only there were a mind mirror Diana would have no end to it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    She looks too eager to be a grandmother.

If only there were a mind mirror Diana would have no end to it!
    Imagine if Hippolyta was that blunt about it towards Diana during their weekly conversations?

"Have you gotten pregnant yet?"

"No mother..."

"For the sake of Olympus child! You have the beauty of Aphrodite, it cant be that hard to find a suitor!"

(In all honesty though, I think it's actually a little off that Hippolyta appears that eager to have grandchildren... especially when it appears not to not even have crossed Diana's mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Imagine if Hippolyta was that blunt about it towards Diana during their weekly conversations?

"Have you gotten pregnant yet?"

"No mother..."

"For the sake of Olympus child! You have the beauty of Aphrodite, it cant be that hard to find a suitor!"

(In all honesty though, I think it's actually a little off that Hippolyta appears that eager to have grandchildren... especially when it appears not to not even have crossed Diana's mind.)
    Maybe she wants to spoil them like how they do in Man's World? Hippolyta wouldn't be the first prospective grandparent, by far, to be like that.