View Poll Results: When do floppies go all - digital?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • within 5 years (by 2023)

1 8.33%
  • within 10 years (by 2028)

4 33.33%
  • within 20 years (by 2038)

2 16.67%
  • longer than 20 years / Never

5 41.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Within the next 5-10 years, I think the digital market will be the bigger focus. However, I prefer print comics, not sure why, but I do - even though I have dozens of digital comics already. So until it's officially dead, I'm sticking to print.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    However, I prefer print comics, not sure why, but I do - even though I have dozens of digital comics already.
    I know exactly why I prefer print:

1 - there isn’t yet a device which I can read comics on in the sun. (I do most of my comic reading outdoors)
    2 - I buy most of my TPB second hand on eBay. That averages under £4 which is way cheaper than digital - though some digital sales get cheaper.
    3 - Marvel and DC comics have DRM.
    4 - I can’t sell them on.

All this said, I think all of these issues (except 4) can and will be solved in time.

Having a physical copy of great artwork will always be better than having a great piece of art on a computer screen. That's why the comic book will always be around.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think physical media will continue to surprise people with its longevity.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

If I get to own them outright and don't have to transfer licensees just to read them, then bring on the paperless.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Been digital for several years already. I have yet to come across a comic in that time that has made me want to own a physical copy of it.

Other than something like a Omnibus/Essential or other hardcover collection like something like the "Calvin & Hobbes" collection of rare/hard to find comics. A collected Reid Fleming or Milk & Cheese, Marshall Law would make me reach for my wallet.

Otherwise don't care either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the people who use the term "floppie" usually don't actually read comics in that form?
    So true...lol. It's almost like a derogatory term for paper single issue comics made by people who hate buying paper single issue comics and who buy TPBs or digital copies exclusively. But nobody who actually buys and collects them calls them "Floppies." Stupid term, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    So true...lol. It's almost like a derogatory term for paper single issue comics made by people who hate buying paper single issue comics and who buy TPBs or digital copies exclusively. But nobody who actually buys and collects them calls them "Floppies." Stupid term, I agree.
    And don't forget, if a product is a "flop", it definitely is not a success.