Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    It's been years since I've read the issue, but some of my old nerd knowledge still exists. I believe this was said in Cable vol. 1 #44. Cable meets Maddie for the first time and they have mother/son bonding time. She explains her side of the story from her time with Scott and baby Christopher, the X-men, up until her untimely demise.

I do remember him saying something like she wasn't truly real. She was just an embodiment or echo of all the pain and hurt that belonged to the true Madelyne. She said it wasn't true and she was the real Madelyne or something like that.

For me, she was the real deal, but made out of pure psychic energy.
    I was thinking of Cable Vol. 1 #6. https://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue/cable-1st-series-6
    At Madelyne's grave, Cable tells Domino that his mother wasn't even a real person--"any more than I am, I guess." IOW, at that time Cable believed that being a clone meant not being a real person.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 12-03-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I was thinking of Cable Vol. 1 #6. https://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue/cable-1st-series-6
    At Madelyne's grave, Cable tells Domino that his mother wasn't even a real person--"any more than I am, I guess." IOW, at that time Cable believed that being a clone meant not being a real person.
    Yes that one makes more sense. To be fair to him though, he was dealing with quite alot mentally after the revelations that he was hit with

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Poor maddie, she truly is the most tragic character.
    but i also don't want her clone status to be retconed, is part of her character. I don't believe being made that way makes her less, just look at laura (until recently) she was a clone but that didn't make her less.
    I'm okay with Madelyne's status as a clone. Even though she's a clone, she still became my first 2nd favorite X-character back in my newbie days of 1997 and she still holds that title to this day (although tied with Emma Frost now who used to be my 3rd favorite during her Gen X days). I'm very happy that Madelyne has a real body again though. She worked hard for it and finally got it. Now that she has gotten over her obsession with being a real girl again she can live her life differently now and hopefully for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thanks for that and I remember now. Context means everything. He didnt say that bc she was a clone but bc she was a psychic ghost. She wasnt really there either as she appeared to him in his head while he was unconcious so its understandable why he said she wasnt the real Madelyne. He never said that Madelyne wasnt a real person bc she was a clone

Cable also didnt think he was a clone during this. This was after The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix so that Stryfe plotline had already been settled years prior in Legion Quest where he confirmed to Jean and Scott that he knew they raised him
    You're welcome!

Anodyne - Ah, I see. Been even longer since I've read Cable vol. 1 #6!! But yeah, Nathan was going through quite a bit then as Havok mentioned. And hi by the way!!!
    Last edited by Drey; 12-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I understand the pro-clone sentiment, but can't you see, clones never win? They are worse than redhead bastard step-children to writers. Their very existence is to be dumped on and defiled without end, so long as the original character exists. Maddie is doomed, I tell you. Doomed!!!!
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

apparently the sister hood stuff is a bit vague on Marvel's side. JDW says maddie was a part of Jean's soul that returned to her.
    https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...42747660230661

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I understand the pro-clone sentiment, but can't you see, clones never win? They are worse than redhead bastard step-children to writers. Their very existence is to be dumped on and defiled without end, so long as the original character exists. Maddie is doomed, I tell you. Doomed!!!!
    Just look at what happened to Ben Reilly, starting with The Clone Conspiracy, or even his death in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75, the finale of the Clone Saga, if you consider that the only reason he turned to dust/ash was so there'd be no contest that the Peter Parker resuming his role as Spider-Man was the original, despite Ben/Peter supposedly being a "perfect" clone, and culminating in the horror show that was the ending of Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #25.

Hmm, come to think of it, Madelyne and Ben should team up and start a "clone rights" movement.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

apparently the sister hood stuff is a bit vague on Marvel's side. JDW says maddie was a part of Jean's soul that returned to her.
    https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...42747660230661
    all that means is that there are no current plans to see her any time soon

That sadly seems to be the case. I actually dislike the "she was part of Jean's soul" part.

That sadly seems to be the case. I actually dislike the "she was part of Jean's soul" part.
    well she was

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    well she was
    Like I've said before, I love Madelyne more than Jean, but there is no disputing the fact that she was indeed part of Jean's soul. The original Phoenix is one of my favorite X-characters and we all know that the part of Jean's soul/consciousness that was merged with the Phoenix Force was the spark that truly breathed life into the unconscious, cloned body that Sinister created. If Sinister hadn't blocked her memories and gave her new ones, she would've been Phoenix reborn, albeit in a new body. As explained in X-men: The End, Madelyne was the part of Jean that truly loved Scott and I can get behind that revelation.

It's like in the anime Inuyasha, you have two women sharing the same soul. One is the original, the other is a reincarnation and they are different people, but yet still have so many similarities.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I want Maddy onscreen.

She has so much potential, to be so weird and mysterious and suspenseful

And then just downright frighteningly powerful

We need a version of Inferno arc

Maddy <3
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Maddie had a role on Exterminated. She was caring for Cable and at the end reconciled with Scott, of course this reconciliation was before the debacle.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    Like I've said before, I love Madelyne more than Jean, but there is no disputing the fact that she was indeed part of Jean's soul. The original Phoenix is one of my favorite X-characters and we all know that the part of Jean's soul/consciousness that was merged with the Phoenix Force was the spark that truly breathed life into the unconscious, cloned body that Sinister created. If Sinister hadn't blocked her memories and gave her new ones, she would've been Phoenix reborn, albeit in a new body.
    Correct.

As explained in X-men: The End, Madelyne was the part of Jean that truly loved Scott and I can get behind that revelation.
    X-Men: The End was set in an alternate future timeline.

The Madelyne Pryor running around 616 since X-Man resurrected her is basically the Goblin Queen without the demonic powers and suicidal impulses.

Astonishing Member

I feel robbed that X-Men: The Exterminated talked of Cable being survived by Maddy but modern day Maddy didn't make an appearance. That backup story was a bone thrown to the Maddy fans I guess to keep them from hatting Jean even more. For taking the 'mother' role in the main story, once again taking something from Maddie. Stuff like this with as much as I want Maddy to get beyond and ignore Scott and Jean, I would also love for her to permanently end Jean as well. Jean might not be the villain of this mess but it is sooooo easy to see how Maddy would see her that way.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I feel robbed that X-Men: The Exterminated talked of Cable being survived by Maddy but modern day Maddy didn't make an appearance. That backup story was a bone thrown to the Maddy fans I guess to keep them from hatting Jean even more. For taking the 'mother' role in the main story, once again taking something from Maddie. Stuff like this with as much as I want Maddy to get beyond and ignore Scott and Jean, I would also love for her to permanently end Jean as well. Jean might not be the villain of this mess but it is sooooo easy to see how Maddy would see her that way.
    It wouldnt have made sense to use Maddy in that story in place of Jean. It sucks but she was a stranger to Cable and bonding with Hope isnt likely to go anywhere. I dont thik the backup story was a bone either. Claremont has never gotten over how editorial messed with his plans in the 80s and this was personal for him.

Maddie seeing Jean as a villian never made sense after Inferno and it would be a disservice to bring her back in that capacity as it keeps her in the same rut she's been in with little to no growth. Its been 30 years; its time to move on
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-06-2018 at 09:23 AM.