Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan Didio era

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I mean, he personally contacted Morrison to return to DC and do All-Star Superman and that lead to future Morrison's projects at DC. But hey, Didio was not responsible for anything good.
    All Star Superman was developed as Superman Now before Morrison (left for Marvel) with editor Dan Raspler, a very solid editor who worked with Grant Morrison on JLA that the former regime at DC fired and purged. Seven Soldiers was developed with former editor Pete Tomasi. Getting GM back to DC wasn't very hard given that Morrison had a very public falling out with Quesada/Jemas. Other than the last thing, Didio deserves no credit for these projects. His attempt at trying to use and apply Grant Morrison's ideas resulted in material like Countdown to Final Crisis and Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-03-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    2020 to 2021 having its own duds doesn't make DiDio's era better.
    At least during that era almost every DC character had a book or ongoing. Can't say that anymore now.

Definitely more bad than good. But one man's trash is another man's treasure; IMO, bringing back Barry Allen, Babs as Batgirl, no Elseworlds, multiple reboots, Zeus as Wonder Woman's father, turning Wally into a murderer were all mistakes. That's just scratching the surface. I also don't think 'Identity Crisis' was groundbreaking nor do I think Coutndown to Final Crisis was in anyway '52 done right'. The good thing is that frustration with the main universe is what forced to dive back further into DC's rich back catalog.

In the early '00's, both DC and Marvel became a playground for middle aged writers who believed that generating the most outrage would spike sales in the short term. Marvel largely seems to have grown out of it, due to a combination of Queseda being promoted out of his position and the rise of the cinematic universe meant that stuff that happens in a comics or whatever a creator posts online was no longer being picked up by just some comic book sites but major news orgs like the Guardian and Hollywood Reporter.

The good thing about Didio is that he was cool with people who didn't like his decisions. I remember him posing with a group of Roy Harper fans pretending to stab him at a con shortly after Cry for Justice killed off Lian. Though I do remember listening to an audio of him blowing up at a fan for asking a question he didn't like but for most part he seemed to have been cool with fans at Cons.

His era did give us (whether he had a deep involvement or not): Johns GL trilogy, Morrison's Batman Inc, Cooke's New Frontier, 52, Morrisons' Seven Soldiers, All Star Superman, Jaimie Reye's Blue Beetle, Static on Titans, Sterling Gates/Igle's Supergirl, ongoing series for Zatanna and Power Girl, Dini's 'Tec run, Kate Kane Batwoman, Simone on BoP and later Wonder Woman (he asked her to put Barda on the team and she became a fan favorite) and Johns Booster Gold.
    Last edited by John Venus; 03-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

No, of course it wasn't ALL bad. There were some true gems during his tenure as EiC:

- Grant Morrison getting free reign & long runs on big books

- All Star Superman

- Geoff Johns' Green Lantern

- Return of Kara Zor-El

- Return of the Multiverse

But he definitely had more misses IMO:

- His treatment of the Titans especially Dick Grayson and Wally West (how he handled the latter in HiC was beyond contemptable)

- Alienating long-time DC creators

- Five...FIVE!!!...different origins for Superman over a period of just 13 years

- Identity Crisis, Countdown to Final Crisis, New 52, DCYou, Heroes in Crisis

- Completely abandoning Rebirth almost immediately after it started because he thought it was a "nostalgia fix"

It was just too inconsistent and if he got bored with something he just killed it off and/or started over.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    There's been plenty of posts about the 2002-2020 era of Didio being trash, like killing off Roy, removing Wally, putting the brakes on Rebirth...but was it all bad?

I gotta believe there were some highlights
    Hmmmm......
    I'll see if I can think of something.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I returned to comics under his era but he was also able to inherit a relatively smooth running machine....and when he REALLY took over (New52) he drove it into the ground. Still cant believe how anti-marriage he was.

Extraordinary Member

I think in general, he had an eye for new talent and some good ideas, and more than once he showed himself capable of looking at a good thing and ordering it to continue.

His biggest issue in my opinion was a lack of restraint and tendency to try fixing what wasn’t broken, which were two issues that wound up feeding into each other as time went on. His first decade saw a lot of good work with only a few hiccups... but it kind of tells you exactly how things would eventually unfold that he was of the opinion that Countdown, an ultimately superfluous weekly series which the big event it was written for didn’t want or have time for and that wound up being seen universally as a flop, was better than its predecessor, the much more free-wheeling and far more successful 52.

I don’t necessarily think it was a pride thing, as much as a personal philosophy he had about both how comic companies should be run and about what kind of stories should be told... one that wound up unraveling.

What started off as a clear attempt to pursue marketable ideas in a strictly business-savvy manner eventually became insisting on a mythical “eternal status quo” that he was never going to let be proven wrong, no matter what issues his tenure incurred.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 03-03-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    the rise of the cinematic universe and stuff that happens in comics or whenever a creator posts, it's no longer just a bunch of comic book blogger but places like Hollywood Reporter, the Guardian and other big news organizations pick it up
    The amount of attention is 90% thanks to Feige. That will happen when you Produce 31 films that Gross over $22.5 Billion Internationally. Feige is almost $10 Billion ahead of #2 (a Producer from the Harry Potter Franchise)...sorry, but the amount of money Marvel Films has made is always staggering to me. https://www.the-numbers.com/box-offi...-role/producer

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    he was of the opinion that Countdown, an ultimately superfluous weekly series which the big event it was written for didn’t want or have time for and that wound up being seen universally as a flop, was better than its predecessor, the much more free-wheeling and far more successful 52.
    Didn't that series end with pretty much everyone Dead having accomplished literally nothing? Nevermind, nobody cares.
    Last edited by gambit2051; 03-03-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    - Identity Crisis, Countdown to Final Crisis, New 52, DCYou, Heroes in Crisis
    I don't think it is fair to list them since both initiative had great books. But hey, I guess he didn't have anything to do with the good parts of those initiatives and is responsible only for the bad ****.

Incredible Member

Personally, I didn't like most of this era. Among the top offenders, I include the return of Hal Jordan, the return of Barry Allen, Identity Crisis, Final Crisis, everything Titans/Teen Titans/Outsiders, Flashpoint, and the New 52.

While a few things snuck out of his era like All Star Superman, New Frontier, or some enjoyable runs by Johns I think the successes were driven by individual writers and overall he did far more harm than good. He will be remembered most for the endless and pointless deaths as he tried to force the reader to enjoy the dark vision he had. Whatever good he did staving off the current sad state of affairs, he did plenty of his own damage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think it is fair to list them since both initiative had great books. But hey, I guess he didn't have anything to do with the good parts of those initiatives and is responsible only for the bad ****.
    Clearly Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison being great writers should all be credited to Dan Didio's management.

Capitalizing on their talent sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    At least during that era almost every DC character had a book or ongoing.
    Whether or not those books were good should be what is most important. And if you weren't a character Didio liked, you weren't getting a book.

To say nothing of the crappy work environment which made several writers and artists quit.

Didio became publisher with Jim Lee by 2010 when he succeed Paul Levitz, who was both Publisher and President of DC Comics.

So from 2002 to 2009 he didn't call all the shots.
    In 2011 we had the New 52 and that was all him.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.