Page 21 of 287 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The Fantastic Four make an appearance this week in Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
    Thanks for the alert. I need to check and see what time it airs.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Me too, val kind of makes my head hurt, Sue really needs to tell her about herself.
    Val is a strange character. I cannot decide if I like her or not. At times her intelligence makes her neat and at other times she is way too arrogant. This business of her going to Latveria on her own to stay with Doom is a very interesting situation. I wonder how it will all end?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Happy Fourth back to you Miss F!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Great pic, Miss Fantastic! And yes, Happy 4th to everyone! I will be digging out my copy of 1776 soon, and singing along happily.
    Thank you very much and Happy 4th to both of you too, IM and Rheged! :-) Isn't that pic awesome? It's from the 1976 Marvel Calendar.

And what is a Fantastic 4th without some Fireworks?

No, I couldn't resist. ;-)
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Happy Birthday to John Byrne! Who, in addition to helming unarguably one of my utmost favorite FF creative runs, also penned and illustrated what I, about 95% without hesitance, proclaim to be the FINEST FF issue and story ever conceived in FF #236/"Terror In A Tiny Town".

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

BANNED

Thanks for the heads up on Byrne's B'day, Miss Fantastic. And gorgeous scans! I should add FF236 to the recommended reading list on the first page. Miss Fantastic's Choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    Thank you very much and Happy 4th to both of you too, IM and Rheged! :-) Isn't that pic awesome? It's from the 1976 Marvel Calendar.

And what is a Fantastic 4th without some Fireworks?

No, I couldn't resist. ;-)
    What are those Fireworks books? Retelling of classic tales?

Thanks for the heads up on Byrne's B'day, Miss Fantastic. And gorgeous scans! I should add FF236 to the recommended reading list on the first page. Miss Fantastic's Choice!
    *feels quite honored *

I can't express this enough: Read FF #236 ASAP. You won't thank me enough when you do...it is THAT THOROUGHLY SPLENDID an issue/story.

What are those Fireworks books? Retelling of classic tales?
    FF: Fireworks OR Fireworks: FF was a limited that came out in 2000, and as somewhat advertised on the covers, was a 'remix' of sorts of the Inhumans' debut in FF and when Johnny met Crystal. IIRC, it was promoted as being 'Romeo and Juliet, Marvel style', although, as we know and thank goodness, Hothead and the elemental don't end up taking their own lives. I personally thought Fireworks was alright, but not the best FF limited I ever read...for those who are not completists and are still curious/interested, I'd recommend it for the artwork a smidge more than the writing.

BANNED

FF112.jpg
    Won this on Ebay for $36, and it arrived in mail today. That gives me everything from 100 forward. I've probably got 20 or so of issues 1-99, but none of the true keys. So
    from now on it won't be as easy. The price I got on this book was a steal, though. It's easily F/VF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    FF112.jpg
    Won this on Ebay for $36, and it arrived in mail today. That gives me everything from 100 forward. I've probably got 20 or so of issues 1-99, but none of the true keys. So
    from now on it won't be as easy. The price I got on this book was a steal, though. It's easily F/VF.
    Congrats! That does look in nice condition. The hunt is the fun part!

BANNED

FF: Fireworks OR Fireworks: FF was a limited that came out in 2000, and as somewhat advertised on the covers, was a 'remix' of sorts of the Inhumans' debut in FF and when Johnny met Crystal. IIRC, it was promoted as being 'Romeo and Juliet, Marvel style', although, as we know and thank goodness, Hothead and the elemental don't end up taking their own lives. I personally thought Fireworks was alright, but not the best FF limited I ever read...for those who are not completists and are still curious/interested, I'd recommend it for the artwork a smidge more than the writing.
    Interesting. I may have to hunt those down, as I like the Inhumans. Thanks for the info.

BANNED

Okay, if you guys know of any good articles or essays or reviews of Fantastic Four #1, could you post links or titles? Thanks!

Okay, if you guys know of any good articles or essays or reviews of Fantastic Four #1, could you post links or titles? Thanks!
    The original Fantastic Four #1? Or one of the later ones?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    The original Fantastic Four #1? Or one of the later ones?
    The original Stan and Jack masterpiece that sparked the MU ... even if All New Marvel can't seem to remember that. ;p

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd have to think about that one but one periodical that comes to mind comes from the Jack Kirby Collector and it was called "The Wonder Years". You'd find them on the Twomorrows website. You might also want to try out FF fan Chris Tolworthy's fansite themed Fantastic Four as the Great American Novel. It's gets very dense at times.

Seems to me I recall another "looking back" review I read but can't think of it just now. Miss F can probably come up with some.

Actually, the Wonder Years and Great American Novel are by far the best Lee/Kirby FF focused and detail savvy deals I've ever happened upon thus far myself. Everything else seems hellbent on undermining the FF's beginnings, and calling them 'dated' and/or 'sexist'...all of which I feel is very indicative of this Negative Nancy day and age in which heaven forbid we have things that are 'fun' anymore! Heck, look at how uber-dissected the FF's origin has become with each subsequent telling, especially in the past decade (*cough*Mythos: FF, despite the AWESOME Paolo Rivera art, and Season One: FF anyone?*cough*)...

ETA: The Great American Novel is overall a fine site...IMO, the second best FF site ever behind FFPlaza.com (may it RIP ). Although, the author's takes on the Byrne and Englehart runs are most certainly 'agree to disagree' things for at least me.
    Last edited by Maven; 07-14-2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Addendum.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Actually, the Wonder Years and Great American Novel are by far the best Lee/Kirby FF focused and detail savvy deals I've ever happened upon thus far myself. Everything else seems hellbent on undermining the FF's beginnings, and calling them 'dated' and/or 'sexist'...all of which I feel is very indicative of this Negative Nancy day and age in which heaven forbid we have things that are 'fun' anymore! Heck, look at how uber-dissected the FF's origin has become with each subsequent telling, especially in the past decade (*cough*Mythos: FF, despite the AWESOME Paolo Rivera art, and Season One: FF anyone?*cough*)...

ETA: The Great American Novel is overall a fine site...IMO, the second best FF site ever behind FFPlaza.com (may it RIP ). Although, the author's takes on the Byrne and Englehart runs are most certainly 'agree to disagree' things for at least me.
    I know what you mean, particularly Englehart. I always put him near the bottom of my list of FF writers, just for the Crystal/Sue catfight alone. Even it if was part of those wasted issues showing the dream sequences that Aron the Rogue Watcher was causing. At least that's as much as I want to remember about it.