Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You vs 1 ton of feathers

You are teleported to the centre of the arena, then seconds later a ton of feathers is teleported ten feet right over your head. You can't leave a 4 x 4 square in the middle of the arena. Do you survive?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Feathers shouldn't be that densely packed, so I'm guessing by holding your hands up you could deflect most of the individual feathers that were over your head
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I would assume 1 ton is 1 ton regardless of the material.

However spread across 16 square feet it wouldnt all fall on you so Idk.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

If you are standing in the middle of this, you are going to get hit, softly, by maybe 200 lbs max of feathers gently falling like feathers do over a period of time. And you are going to be supported from the sides, so it can't knock you down. Yeah, you'll be fine, unless you suffocate. That much feathers will go over your head.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Yeah, you'll be fine, unless you suffocate. That much feathers will go over your head.
    this is the kicker, average chicken feather weighs 0.0082 grams or 0.0003 ounces, which means you have 80 thousand feathers per pound, so one ton of feathers means 160 million feathers

Mighty Member

a ton of anything falling on top of you from a height of 10 feet above is going to kill you. it doesn't matter how soft or light the material is.

even if we factor in dispersal because the feathers will flutter to the ground... things still have a tendency to fall straight down when you get large volumes like this. the optimistic suggestion of a mere 200 pounds landing on you says a lot. even 200 pounds of anything falling on you from 10 feet overhead will kill you.

without being given explicit notice in advance, and being informed of an audible trigger warning of the impending fall, nobody will be able to move out of the way.

even with an audible warning, and a willingness to run out of the kill radius, the 4x4 foot area restriction guarantees that you are required to stay inside of the kill zone. even if that restriction was removed, most people are simply incapable of moving fast enough to get out of the kill radius in time.

I'm allergic to feathers.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    this is the kicker, average chicken feather weighs 0.0082 grams or 0.0003 ounces, which means you have 80 thousand feathers per pound, so one ton of feathers means 160 million feathers
    So you will definitely absolutely suffocate. But like... slowly and horribly as they just KEEP falling down. You linger on for a while as you try to "swim" to the top, but then ANOTHER 800,000 feathers fall.

What a horrible way to go haha
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    So you will definitely absolutely suffocate. But like... slowly and horribly as they just KEEP falling down. You linger on for a while as you try to "swim" to the top, but then ANOTHER 800,000 feathers fall.

It's a clucking nightmare scenario, yes.

Bwut?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Factor in air resistance a ton of loose feathers would still fall more slowly than a ton of bricks. This means the fallen force on your body would be less than if a ton of bricks were to fall on your head. mass x acceleration = force. This is due to density because even if a ton of feathers and a ton of bricks would weigh the same, a ton of feathers would still be less dense than a ton of bricks.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Not necessarily. It says we're in the middle of the arena and WE can't leave a 4x4 square. but nothing about being in a box or anything, so the FEATHERS can go all around the arena. And this is an arena big enough to hold spaceship battles when it wants to.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

How would this change if the 4x4 box was instead a 4x4 collum raised 100 metres off the floor of the arena?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    How would this change if the 4x4 box was instead a 4x4 collum raised 100 metres off the floor of the arena?
    Drop to hands and knees to avoid unfortunate, blind staggering, and you should be fine.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Drop to hands and knees to avoid unfortunate, blind staggering, and you should be fine.
    Exactly this. Feather will fall slowly. If they can't build up or suffocate you, you'll be OK.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I dunno, depending on how tightly they are clumped together, the central mass of the few tens of millions feathers could be mostly shielded from the large part of the slowdown from air resistance for the ten feet of fall. Like, one grain of sand would probably get blown every which way by air resistance, but if you drop a ton of sand at once, its probably going to crush whatever is underneath it pretty badly.