Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default New Comic Book Series Travels Across to Discover the Origin of Kang

https://www.marvel.com/amp/articles/...mpression=true

'Kang the Conqueror' #1 from writers Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing and artist Carlos Magno launches this August!

This August, it’s time to tell the definitive origin story of one of Marvel’s greatest villains: KANG THE CONQUEROR! Announced earlier today on the This Week in Marvel podcast, the Avengers and Fantastic Four foe will star in his first ever solo series that will tackle the complex saga behind the universe’s most fearsome time-travelling menace.

KANG THE CONQUEROR will be written by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, the popular writing duo known for their work on books like Joyride, Green Arrow, and Star Trek: Year Five, with art by Carlos Magno (Avengers Mech Strike). Together, this all-star creative team will unravel Kang’s enormous legacy from his expansive backstory to his various alternate selves, tying everything together and catapulting him into his biggest era yet.

The new series will be a love letter to True Believers who treasure the complicated tapestry behind the saga of Kang, while also serving as a perfect entry point for fans eager to learn the fascinating lore behind one of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s most iconic creations.

The man called Kang the Conqueror has been a pharaoh, a villain, a warlord of the space ways, and even—on rare occasions—a hero. Across all timelines, one fact seemed absolute: Time means nothing to Kang the Conqueror. But the truth is more complex. Kang is caught in an endless cycle of creation and destruction dictated by time and previously unseen by any but the Conqueror himself. A cycle that could finally explain the enigma that is Kang. And a cycle that begins and ends with an old and broken Kang sending his younger self down a dark path…

"Time may mean nothing to Kang, but Kang means everything to us. This is the book we've been wanting to write for years,” Lanzing said. “It's a total dream come true for Collin and I to be making our Marvel debut - we're best friends who first met through a mutual love of Young Avengers, Runaways, and Ultimate Spider-Man. But to make our first mark with a character as storied as Kang the Conqueror, on a very personal pitch we never in a million years thought would be greenlit, is a genuine honor. Carlos Magno is delivering jaw-dropping work that recalls the exacting detail and operatic emotion of Kang's co-creator Jack Kirby. We're genuinely stunned by every new page. Add the brilliant colors by Espen Grundetjern, letters by the Marvel master Joe Caramanga, and the insightful leadership of our editor Alanna Smith, and you've got a team worthy of one of Marvel's greatest unsung characters."

"Kang has been a nefarious force in the Marvel Universe nearly as long as it's existed, but the true crime here is that he's never had a solo series. The fact that we're the ones who get to bring Kang's complete story to life for the first time is an incredible honor,” Kelly added. “KANG THE CONQUEROR isn't just an origin story; this is a life story. When young and jaded Nathaniel Richards discovers the ancient lair of his Latvarian ancestor Victor Von Doom, his life is changed forever by a man he should never have met - KANG HIMSELF! From the last days of the Cretaceous to the war-torn world of Jack Kirby's year 4,000 - from ancient Egypt to the stars themselves - KANG THE CONQUEROR is a story that unpacks the told - and untold - moments of Kang's life through a human lens. Powered by his love of the enigmatic Ravonna Renslayer, and fueled by the hatred of who he will become, this is a cross-time epic for everyone who has ever rejected who they were supposed to be."

Time’s up for the Marvel Universe when KANG THE CONQUEROR hits stands on August 18!

KANG THE CONQUEROR #1 (OF 5)
    Written by COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
    Art by CARLOS MAGNO & ESPEN GRUNDETJERN
    Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO
    On Sale 8/18

This looks really good, I'm really looking forward to it.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Spectacular Member

I am hoping this is a precursor to Kang being the Big Boss for the next phase of Marvel movies...with the way they've had movies set in different time periods it'd be wild if he has an appearance in them all without it being necessarily a linear progression!

As far as the comic goes, I hope they don't definitively say he's descended from Doom or Richards, I kinda like it being open to interpretation

Ultimate Member

Why's he even descended from either? Isn't he much more of an Avengers villain?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    From memory I think it was Rama-Tut who was teased as being a descendant of either Reed or Doom, and then Rama-Tut ended up being an incarnation of Kang...but you're right, even though Kang has fought the FF before he is more of an Avengers villain.

Rama-Tut, Kang, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Iron Lad...dude has more identities than Hank Pym lol

They have a high bar to clear... his origin as told in Avengers Forever was excellent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    From memory I think it was Rama-Tut who was teased as being a descendant of either Reed or Doom, and then Rama-Tut ended up being an incarnation of Kang...but you're right, even though Kang has fought the FF before he is more of an Avengers villain.

Rama-Tut, Kang, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Iron Lad...dude has more identities than Hank Pym lol
    Ok. Most of what I've read about him connects him to the Avengers

Kang finally reaping the benefit of the movie hype .

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would have preferred other writers, Ewing, Cates, Thompson, Stern, Slott, Bunn, Busiek ...

Of these, I have read their past work on Green Arrow and honestly it seemed to me like a complete disaster.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    I would have preferred other writers, Ewing, Cates, Thompson, Stern, Slott, Bunn, Busiek ...

Of these, I have read their past work on Green Arrow and honestly it seemed to me like a complete disaster.
    I'd delete Slott from that list.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The relationship between Kang and Doom has been hinted at Kang's beginnings in the Silver Age. And you can throw in Nathaniel Richards too.

And if you haven't already, I would read Avengers Forever if I were you.

....and this was part of a Fantastic Four annual IIRC.

You can see the family connection.
    Last edited by Sataniel; 05-15-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The relationship between Kang and Doom has been hinted at Kang's beginnings in the Silver Age. And you can throw in Nathaniel Richards too.
    I had a wild theory some years back that Kang was actually descended from Kristoff Vernard (who has been hinted to be Reed's half-brother), making him sort of a member of the Doom dynasty.

Incredible Member

Kang's story has become so convoluted and confusing in the past couple decades that it's hard work to read anything featuring him to try and figure out what exactly is happening. Kurt Busiek did his best to clear things up in 'Avengers Forever', but since then, his history is a mess again. Hopefully this clears things up.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yep I hope Marvel has stopped to synergize but I see they are still greenlighting mini series that are easily digestible and can quickly explain characters or races that might interest the MCU audience. They greenlit the Black Order and Meet the Skrulls minis - I don't know if they were any good?
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-15-2021 at 12:07 PM.