Page 178 of 202 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 3027

Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    As undesirable as that may have been for many, in Venditti's defense, there is actually a long history of Carol Ferris acting in weird and erratic behavior like that.

But yes, I do think many of the fans would actually like to see them make their relationship work in a healthy way. So that move was probably ill-timed and ill-done. Though, I'm not sure I'd say it was surprising or out of character.
    I get it, it just felt badly-timed in this case.

And the less said about her hooking up with Kyle, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would people even have any frame of reference for Venditti at the time? Was he doing X-O Manowar for Valiant? I believe at the time that was well-received.
    Funny enough I liked his Manowar better than anything he has written for DC.

I think Tamaki’s Supergirl mini was well received. But I haven’t read it.
    Her ‘Tec run I’d say got mixed reactions. I hope she brings her A game. It will be interesting to have a female voice writing Hal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Venditti is very hit or miss for me, whereas Tamaki has been nothing but misses thus far. She's had success with her YA comics, but that's a very different audience than the hardcore DCU readers expect.

Like I said, I'm hoping for the best. Hal finally being written by a woman has a lot of potential. And, given Tamaki's background, I would also hope she'll be exploring the pansexual Hal that Morrison introduced. That's an angle that cocksure space cowboy characters don't generally get to play with.

And both Carol and Tom are long overdue for some love.
    I have zero interest in any pan sexual Hal anything. That was a Morrison thing that they let him indulge in but hopefully that is the end of that. DC is very inclusive and diverse but it is very protective of it's core characters. If you want sexually diverse Lanterns there are others to explore.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I have zero interest in any pan sexual Hal anything. That was a Morrison thing that they let him indulge in but hopefully that is the end of that. DC is very inclusive and diverse but it is very protective of it's core characters. If you want sexually diverse Lanterns there are others to explore.
    It probably is the end of it, but that seems like a waste instead of a good thing. DC can't be be both inclusive/diverse, but at the same time too protective of their core characters if "Protection" means just not exploring new diverse story angles with them. If he was pan, it wouldn't rule out Carol as his default love interest anyway, so no "harm" could come with exploring it.

It would also be far less damaging to the character than Beware My Power, so it's kind of a laugh to think they are protective of him in any way as it stands now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Funny enough I liked his Manowar better than anything he has written for DC.
    It has highs and lows. Was better than most of the stuff he started doing at DC his hawk man run is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    It has highs and lows. Was better than most of the stuff he started doing at DC his hawk man run is fantastic
    Hawkman is hands down one of Vendetti’s best series, not to mention establishes the current Hawkman and Hawkwoman dynamic.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Seems both the GL books are just minis going off of this PKJ interview. Crazy how much the GL franchise has fallen off, to the point DC doesn’t even trust the brand enough to carry an ongoing anymore. Hopefully both do well and DC greenlights more GL books.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

It's more that DC switched their publishing method up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Seems both the GL books are just minis going off of this PKJ interview. Crazy how much the GL franchise has fallen off, to the point DC doesn’t even trust the brand enough to carry an ongoing anymore. Hopefully both do well and DC greenlights more GL books.
    Well, potentially they're 12-issue mini's that'll take us through the year, or they're mini's with the potential to turn into ongoings if they sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Venditti is very hit or miss for me, whereas Tamaki has been nothing but misses thus far. She's had success with her YA comics, but that's a very different audience than the hardcore DCU readers expect.

Like I said, I'm hoping for the best. Hal finally being written by a woman has a lot of potential. And, given Tamaki's background, I would also hope she'll be exploring the pansexual Hal that Morrison introduced. That's an angle that cocksure space cowboy characters don't generally get to play with.

And both Carol and Tom are long overdue for some love.
    Neither writer has written a lot of runs for DC. I think Venditti gets a bad wrap on his GL for being the first writer to have take over from Geoff Johns.

Personally I enjoyed his Green Lantern run, but I think he was still honing his craft, because his Hawkman run was really good. (Sky Tyrant aside)

Tamaki is pretty much defined by her Detective Comics run, which wasn't great.

The only thing else I've read by her is her Crush and Lobo, in which....I yi yi...I will just say....I had a strong philisophical difference with her on how a Lobo comic should be written....so I don't judge her on that.

For me Venditti is miles better, but I want her to be successful, because I want a Hal Jordan title to be successful, so I'm wishing her all the best!!!......though I am relieved to hear it's a mini if i'm being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It probably is the end of it, but that seems like a waste instead of a good thing. DC can't be be both inclusive/diverse, but at the same time too protective of their core characters if "Protection" means just not exploring new diverse story angles with them. If he was pan, it wouldn't rule out Carol as his default love interest anyway, so no "harm" could come with exploring it.

It would also be far less damaging to the character than Beware My Power, so it's kind of a laugh to think they are protective of him in any way as it stands now.
    I was thinking about that too, did that movie give any reason to believe they were concerned about him at all? lol The only concern they had was the fact that he provided competition they clearly thought they had to eliminate. And that movie was in production for the past 4 years, meaning it must have been greenlit during the time of DiDio's regime. If Hal could get that kind of treatment under people who supposedly liked him, the current regime would be too concerned about his sexuality of all things? lol Just doesn't compute.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-24-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I was thinking about that too, did that movie give any reason to believe they were concerned about him at all? lol The only concern they had was the fact that he provided competition they clearly thought they had to eliminate. And that movie was in production for the past 4 years, meaning it must have been greenlit during the time of DiDio's regime. If Hal could get that kind of treatment under people who supposedly liked him, the current regime would be too concerned about his sexuality of all things? lol Just doesn't compute.
    Yeah, if the thought process is "we don't care if his character gets thrown to the wolves in a DTV, but associating in with the LGBT stuff is a step too far! We must protect our iconic character at all costs!", then their priorities wouldn't be where they should be. Then again, these are the people who are in charge of Superman, and look how they periodically botch him.

I don't agree with the common criticism that Hal is outdated because he's a straight while male, at least not any more inherently outdated than his peers. But if there is something intrinsic to his character that made Morrison view him as pansexual that the other Lanterns don't have....why not run with it as a way to refresh him for modern audiences? Evolve or die, etc. All his female love interests wouldn't be invalidated. Who doesn't love a hot space cowboy who is an equal opportunity lay for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Did I miss something? Morrison talked about Hal potentially being pansexual in newsletter, but there was nothing written about it in actual series.

While I won't come to BMP's defense, I wouldn't say that film did much damage to Hal or at least anymore than what's there from the 2011 film. These animated films are pretty flash in the pan that rather quickly recede to the background when they stop being the "new" DC thing to talk about.

Not mention none of them come within a mile of the sales they once did.