Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    would you put it past Dan Slott?
    No, I wouldn't

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I not be remembering correctly, but weren't we explicitly told that issue 25 wasn't going to have filler story and focus on Osborn and whatever this important ten page story is? And yet judging by the preview this is exactly like issue 600 where we got a decently sized main story, but tons of other unnecessary story.
    The main story is 40 pages, all with Immonen art. That's far more than "decent-sized".

As for the rest, it was always stated that there'd be multiple stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The main story is 40 pages, all with Immonen art. That's far more than "decent-sized".

As for the rest, it was always stated that there'd be multiple stories.
    Yeah, my qualm is not that there isn't "enough" to justify the price; I simply feel $10 is over the tipping point for what i wish to spend on a comic book. Marvel (moreso that DC and Image) have made it a practice to charge up to double (and now more than double) for every "anniversary issue" and I am finding it tiresome.

I look at it as Content Vs. Price. We know a 20 page book is $4 and $5 tend to be about 30 pages. We know this book is gonna be about 70-80 pages, so $10 for that is actually a good deal.

Think of it like getting two ASM issues a month, only both in the same week and they're combined into one book. And even then you're getting more content for your price.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

You can pick up most DC TPBs as amazon digital books for $8-10. Usually around 170 pages of content featuring an entire story arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    You can pick up most DC TPBs as amazon digital books for $8-10. Usually around 170 pages of content featuring an entire story arc.
    If all I wanted was to spend my $ on X-amount of comic that contains X-amount of pages (digital or otherwise), that might mean something. For some people, I think this actually is their determining factor - if something's cheap, they'll choose it over something that costs more because they just want X-amount of comic for X-amount of dollars and content is a secondary concern.

But if someone is invested in ASM and wants to read a 40 pg Immonen-drawn story that re-introduces Norman Osborn and a 10 pg story by Slott and Camuncoli as well as a Clash story by Gage, among other Spider-related content, that's far more inciting than spending the same amount of cash just to get 170 pages of content that they don't actually give a sh*t about instead.

Ten bucks for what amounts to over two issues worth of content doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. Especially when I factor in my subscriber discount at my LCS so it'll end up being more like 8 bucks and change at best. I could wait for it in trade, where it might end up being a cheaper deal overall, or when it comes to a digital service like Marvel Unlimited but I'm interested enough to pony up the cash now. I want to read it on Wed and the price isn't a sticking point.

It's the difference between "Do I see a movie first run or do I wait until it comes to disc or digital or cable?"

You can see the same movie for less eventually, sure, but if your interest is high enough, you're not going to sweat putting up a couple of extra bucks.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

If all I wanted was to spend my $ on X-amount of comic that contains X-amount of pages (digital or otherwise), that might mean something. For some people, I think this actually is their determining factor - if something's cheap, they'll choose it over something that costs more because they just want X-amount of comic for X-amount of dollars and content is a secondary concern.

But if someone is invested in ASM and wants to read a 40 pg Immonen-drawn story that re-introduces Norman Osborn and a 10 pg story by Slott and Camuncoli as well as a Clash story by Gage, among other Spider-related content, that's far more inciting than spending the same amount of cash just to get 170 pages of content that they don't actually give a sh*t about instead.

Ten bucks for what amounts to over two issues worth of content doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. Especially when I factor in my subscriber discount at my LCS so it'll end up being more like 8 bucks and change at best. I could wait for it in trade, where it might end up being a cheaper deal overall, or when it comes to a digital service like Marvel Unlimited but I'm interested enough to pony up the cash now. I want to read it on Wed and the price isn't a sticking point.

It's the difference between "Do I see a movie first run or do I wait until it comes to disc or digital or cable?"

You can see the same movie for less eventually, sure, but if your interest is high enough, you're not going to sweat putting up a couple of extra bucks.
    Sure, it's all about what matters most to you.

I'm only reading the new DC books right now, as I'm currently enjoying their vision for the characters more than Marvel's, and I prefer the twice-monthly at $3 format. So just to be clear, it's not simply a price thing. I prefer DC Rebirth to Marvel's newer stuff.

Ultimately, it's an apples to oranges kind of thing.

I also tend to prefer less additional content with a smaller price increase. Action Comics #975, for instance, had a 10 page backup by Paul Dini at a $1 price bump. It was much easier to absorb the impact of $1 and I didn't have to cut anything out of my comics budge for the month.

Speaking of movies, I can get a matinee ticket to one and a soda for $10, which is a more complete storytelling experience.

But I also think anniversary issues should be more 'entry-level,' encouraging new readers to jump on board. At $10 for a single issue, I suspect you're only bringing in people who are already invested.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Funny how Slott claims no reversal of omd. Seems like he was protesting too much. Slott seems to deny one thing, then the opposite happens.
    I don't think Marvel will allowing OMD to be undone; they've invented way too much in convincing us it was a good idea to give up now. Besides the main architects of OMD are still in power.

As far as the issue's price tag, ten bucks is still a bad bargain, IMHO; I could get trade paperbacks with three times the amount of content for that, not to mention that the average trade going for twenty has six or seven issues for double the cost. Paying ten bucks for two issues is not a good bargain.

At least the art is nice, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think Marvel will allowing OMD to be undone; they've invented way too much in convincing us it was a good idea to give up now. Besides the main architects of OMD are still in power.

As far as the issue's price tag, ten bucks is still a bad bargain, IMHO; I could get trade paperbacks with three times the amount of content for that, not to mention that the average trade going for twenty has six or seven issues for double the cost. Paying ten bucks for two issues is not a good bargain.

At least the art is nice, though.
    Seems like Peter will be dealing with secret empire after Osborn Identity.

Dear Dan Slott,

I enjoy your comics a great deal - Spidey, She-Hulk, GLA - all really pleasing reads.

Keep up the good work!

-Pav, who appreciates friendly communication...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Norman Osborn as Uncle Ben after a round of cosmetic surgery?...

Nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    would you put it past Dan Slott?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    No, I wouldn't
    Well, there's another possibility...Norman Osborn reconstructs his face to look like...Peter Parker. So while Peter, as Spider-Man, is going around the world looking for him, Norman, as Peter, will be in his own backyard running Parker Industries into the ground.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I really hope that this Green Goblin arc isn't the end of the Worldwide status quo. I want to see Spidey take on Scorpio again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I really hope that this Green Goblin arc isn't the end of the Worldwide status quo. I want to see Spidey take on Scorpio again.
    Me too! I definitely think a rematch is order.

I also think there's much more to be done with the Worldwide/PI status quo so, for that sake alone, I hope it isn't about to wind down. We'll see.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-11-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Me too! I definitely think a rematch is order.

I also think there's much more to be done with the Worldwide/PI status quo so, for that sake alone, I hope it isn't about to wind down. We'll see.
    I don't think its going to last much longer.
    My theory is that after the Goblin arc Peter will run down his company resources. Then comes fallout of the Clone Conspiracy coming back to bite him. Then maybe a final rematch with Scorpio as Parker Industries dies, or maybe that same scenario with a more spidey centric villain.