Page 553 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 534535035435495505515525535545555565575636036531053 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    With all the likely contenders being over 200 years old, I cannot think of a presidential election in my lifetime where the choice of Veep was more important (maybe Reagan's second, but I was tiny).

Also because many people, me included, are not very excited about who is left.

Even Trump might dump Pence for Sean Hannity if his polls remain bad.

Which candidates would get you excited? Beto? Michelle Obama? Susan Sarandon?
    I think he underrates Trump's deficiencies but it could easily be the view of a moderate voter, someone who doesn't automatically back one particular party.

There's going to be a conflict between appealing to very progressive types who rarely turn out, and centrists who will often vote for Republicans but are less likely to do so with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

A while back someone pointed out that a reply had been a part of the problem when it came to Sanders' supporters.

The above is, almost to a letter, what I assumed this forum member's surf actual take was. While any forum member is entitled to their view, this is not one where there would be much of a point in discussing the actual finer points of things like if Medicare For All would create a "Net Positive..." outcome for them elsewhere.
    Something I find weird is the talk about people who lack traditional qualifications as being potential running mates. Nina Turner is a former state legislator. Biden talked about Abrams (another state legislator) and Sally Yates (briefly an acting cabinet member.) I just saw someone on Facebook insist on Vindman.

It seems there's a lot of emphasis on people who briefly get national attention rather than the individuals working behind the scenes (like younger members of congressional leadership who reporters should be aware of)

Cedric Richmond is an African-American Louisiana congressman who is Chairman of the centrist New Democrat Coalition. Hakeem Jeffries is an African-American Congress who is chair of the House Democratic Caucus. Val Jemmings is an African-American Congresswoman who was Chief of the Orlando Police Department and one of the House impeachment managers. Xavier Becerra was chair of the House Democratic Caucus, and is currently Attorney General of California. Tammy Duckworth is a Senator who was severely injured serving the military and worked to make Congress easier for working mothers.

I'm not sure what the reason is that less famous but still notable people aren't written about. Are the journalists hired to write for major outlets ignorant about people with plausible resumes? Are the incentives to write about people the readers would know about, in order to get more clicks? Or is there something in the air that makes former state legislators plausible national figures?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I think attacking Bernoe about what he did or didn't do at some dumb commune 50 years ago is super lame and pointless.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I think attacking Bernoe about what he did or didn't do at some dumb commune 50 years ago is super lame and pointless.
    Bernoe is a cool anti-Bernard slogan though. I'll use that. Thanks.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    What do our British posters think about the Tory plan to destroy the BBC ?
    I'm all for removing the absurd forced TV Licensing Fee, especially since they send goon squads after you if you claim you don't watch TV and don't want the license. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I'm all for removing the absurd forced TV Licensing Fee, especially since they send goon squads after you if you claim you don't watch TV and don't want the license. It's ridiculous.
    We fans of Sherlock appreciate your sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I’ve not had a licence for years...I just don’t watch any terrestrial TV or use I player, and certainly some aspects of present arrangement irk me...notably that I have to sign a declaration every two years to say I don’t watch TV, and that periodically the Beeb tell me they may send some one out to inspect house. (Whoever it was, they wouldn’t be invited in!)

I know Beeb love to publicise themselves as providers of a great service. If they are confident of that they should change licence arrangements...don’t make people pay a BBC licence if they just want to watch ITV (or any non BBC terrestrial channel)...it’s like Tesco’s billing me for having temerity to shop at Sainsbury’s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Bernoe is a cool anti-Bernard slogan though. I'll use that. Thanks.
    Ha! Stupid phone, but that's funny.

Regarding the BBC.

Whilst I recognise the licence fee can be a bit absurd at times (and fully support its decriminalisation into something more akin to a fine) I often get the feeling a good majority of those whining about it are of the "I don't want to pay my taxes or this fee, they dont put stuff on I WANT so why should I pay ?" kind.

I'd personally suggest just making it a service payed from our Tax. Though the thorny issue is Britbox.

Astonishing Member

All these conservatives having meltdowns over the tax dollars needed for Medicare for All yet they have no issues with trump driving the deficit deficit up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    All these conservatives having meltdowns over the tax dollars needed for Medicare for All yet they have no issues with trump driving the deficit deficit up.
    It's classic Republican magic -- let the left fight it out amongst themselves while they stay on target and do exactly what they want while in office.

Or attack the Democrats for spending -- and appeal to racism in their base -- until they get back in office.

It's obvious, but effective.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-16-2020 at 09:01 AM.

The more I consider all the candidates, the more I like Elizabeth Warren. IMO she seems to be the most sincere (though maybe a touch naive) of the current batch. There were others who i thought were sincere as well, but they dropped out of the race.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Now THIS goes beyond mere pettiness. One of Trump’s weekend golf outings down in Florida no doubt costs FAR more than it would to honor a man who died in service to our country. Obscene!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The more I consider all the candidates, the more I like Elizabeth Warren. IMO she seems to be the most sincere (though maybe a touch naive) of the current batch. There were others who i thought were sincere as well, but they dropped out of the race.
    I like her, too. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Sanders has been doing so much better so far.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Sigh.

Klobuchar had a cringeworthy interview about Mexico, not knowing the name of the Mexican president. Buttigieg's campaign is accused of running fake twitter accounts as black people. CNN dissects Sanders' climate plan as not adding up.

I am mortified of 4 more years of Trump. Democrats need to get their **** together.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!