View Poll Results: Who is Peter's best love interest?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mary Jane Watson

55 72.37%
  • Gwen Stacy

8 10.53%
  • Felicia Hardy

7 9.21%
  • Kitty Pryde

0 0%
  • Betty Brant

0 0%
  • Liz Allen

0 0%
  • Carlie Cooper

3 3.95%
  • Other

3 3.95%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Eh, I disagree. Even when I started reading in 1991, 9 year old me never bought the happy domestic life that Peter had. I remember thinking, "why does Peter Parker do grown up things, like get married, when the real grown up characters like Iron Man and Captain America stay single?" It never felt right to me.

This is becoming a debate for another thread though. I still think he should be with MJ, and not just in an on-again-off-again relationship.
    Ok, to each there own.

I too, was 9 when I started and I remember learning he was married seemed like a big revelation, maybe even one of shock, but also one that made me very curious and expanded my perception of the character. It was the last thing I expected. But one that made it seem like something to brag about. My favorite hero was married, he was older, and grown up, and I sort of idolized that.

I just assumed he wasn't before I opened the book and started reading. To me, it seemed to break pre-existing stereotypes I had about superheros and where they could go/what they could do. I had always thought they never grew or progressed, like a cartoon character. When I learned he was married, I realized the character had a long running history that mattered, and I immediately felt drawn to learn more about it. In fact, the marriage is probably why I am a fan today, otherwise I might have just bought a few issues with a passing interest and moved on.

As I read more, I appreciated it more, especially the older I got, but it was never a negative.

One more bit. I guess the reason I'm passionate about this, is I want others to be able to experience the same shock and realization of learning that Peter became married (especially to MJ of all people). I want kids to know him that way because I as a kid idolized him that way. It made the character seem cooler to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Just because a female character exists doesn't mean that they automatically be considered an equally potential love interest for Peter. Suggesting them for the sake of contrarianism isn't a good argument unto itself, especially since it fails to consider that characters like Carol, Jessica, and Natasha should be allowed to grow as their own characters, and not be beholden to Peter. Liz is the mother to Harry's son, so just because because Harry got taken out of the picture doesn't mean that she suddenly becomes available for Peter, and similarly, it doesn't make it a "mistake" to hook a woman up with someone just because that someone isn't Peter. Peter is not, and never will be the center of every character in the Marvel Universe. He's my Marvel hero, sure, but just because he is doesn't mean that I want to play roulette using every woman I deem viable because they fulfill some wide criteria, by which I just mean that they're neither Gwen or MJ, and existed prior to Brand New Day.
    No one is saying that Peter is the center of the Marvel Universe. Neither is Daredevil, Hawkeye, Captain America, or even Wolverine. Yet, I am referring to the idea of expanding the stories beyond Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy fixation that I've seen every since post-OMD. The idea is to expand the possible love interest beyond Mary Jane, Black Cat, or even the long dead Gwen Stacy. While it's unlikely that any of my interest will ever come to pass, given that there's only one Spider-Man series at the moment, with no plans for a Spider-Man Team-up series in the pipeline..The characters could fit into Spider-Man/Peter Parker's world in different capacities without the need for any of the heroines to appear in costume. A lot of them appear in other titles without any of them in costume.

Well, they said they wanted a single Peter, and that's what we've had for most of the 7+ years since OMD. He and Carlie were a couple for a few months . . . and that's it.

One night with Michelle, and his Eyes-Wide-Shut whatever-that-was with Black Cat.

They haven't exactly been doing much with his love life. Even if you swapped out Black Cat for another new LI, they haven't exactly expanded much of anything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, they said they wanted a single Peter, and that's what we've had for most of the 7+ years since OMD. He and Carlie were a couple for a few months . . . and that's it.

One night with Michelle, and his Eyes-Wide-Shut whatever-that-was with Black Cat.

They haven't exactly been doing much with his love life. Even if you swapped out Black Cat for another new LI, they haven't exactly expanded much of anything.
    Spot on. When OMD began, Marvel should have also undid Harry's marriage with Liz Allan as well. This way, there would be no Normie Osborn, Jr. with Liz Allan. Thus his first born child would have been with lily hoster..

Overall, Peter's love life hasn't been interesting post BND at all. And the one relationship that might have worked was with either Carol Danvers or Jessica Drew, as far as outside characters goes as an alternate to the Black Cat. But we don't have a Spider-Man team-up series to flush out those relationships.

Besides that, Dan Slott doesn't seem interested in Peter's love life, which is why Spider-Man hasn't had one ever since he was given the reins of ASM. But, Slott did give Spock a very good love interest, Anna Maria.

I wished that Marvel would give Slott the opportunity to do a Dr. Ock on-going series where Otto adventures could continue beyond Spock as an anti-hero.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 02-18-2015 at 09:23 PM.

What I was getting at is that if you're not happy that they haven't expanded the pool of love interests, you need to keep in mind they haven't done much of anything with his love life really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    What I was getting at is that if you're not happy that they haven't expanded the pool of love interests, you need to keep in mind they haven't done much of anything with his love life really.
    Agreed, and I think that is by design. Those in charge don't want Peter to have a stable love life or any type of maturity really. The entire seven years have been about delaying certain aspects of natural character development to keep Spidey young.

I have to be honest and say i pick other because as many have said to use the term best is up to the reader. For one i find Peter and Carol's dynamic funny and interesting and i could see ways that it could work in my mind without too much hassle but everyone else can and may disagree. But the poll was decided as soon as it was posted.
    Most Developed MJ
    Longest Running MJ
    Fan approved MJ
    My Favourite Carol
    My Favourite Non Powered Gwen

What i find funny is a lot of people are saying that MJ growth and change and everything felt real and was the best but the only reason was because Gerry Conway didn't like Gwen and killed her off, the entire spider-man legacy came out the way it did because one writer didn't like a character and killed her off. What makes it even more funny is that stiory was meant to be creative and daring.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    I have to be honest and say i pick other because as many have said to use the term best is up to the reader. For one i find Peter and Carol's dynamic funny and interesting and i could see ways that it could work in my mind without too much hassle but everyone else can and may disagree. But the poll was decided as soon as it was posted.
    Most Developed MJ
    Longest Running MJ
    Fan approved MJ
    My Favourite Carol
    My Favourite Non Powered Gwen

What i find funny is a lot of people are saying that MJ growth and change and everything felt real and was the best but the only reason was because Gerry Conway didn't like Gwen and killed her off, the entire spider-man legacy came out the way it did because one writer didn't like a character and killed her off. What makes it even more funny is that story was meant to be creative and daring.
    Well it was at the time. And other writers have done far worse to characters they didn't like.

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

What i find funny is a lot of people are saying that MJ growth and change and everything felt real and was the best but the only reason was because Gerry Conway didn't like Gwen and killed her off, the entire spider-man legacy came out the way it did because one writer didn't like a character and killed her off. What makes it even more funny is that stiory was meant to be creative and daring.
    Perhaps...most of the mentality came from MJ winning the 1967 Alley Award Popularity Poll: Best Female Normal Supporting Character. I'm guessing that the Marvel Bullpen wasn't expecting her to win ANY poll at the time since she was originally created as a foil. But at least she had fans even before Gerry Conway's run.

You'd have to scroll down to the 1967 section for her poll results.
    http://www.cbgxtra.com/knowledge-bas...ards-1961-1970

I had no real problem with Gwen myself. I just happen to like sassy characters more LOL. But honestly....if these two fictional characters really existed, I can't imagine they'd be comfortable knowing there are fans that constantly pair them up with someone. I can see them being entirely creeped out by this. Good thing they're fictional Hahaha!

--Wolfie
    Visual Development and Storyboard Portfolio
    http://www.imxprs.com/free/wolfie74/mj

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    One more bit. I guess the reason I'm passionate about this, is I want others to be able to experience the same shock and realization of learning that Peter became married (especially to MJ of all people). I want kids to know him that way because I as a kid idolized him that way. It made the character seem cooler to me.
    It's hard for me to "experience the same shock and realization" considering I was already in my mid-twenties when he and MJ eventually got married.

BANNED

I voted none. Spider-Man always felt he was too busy to settle down and I have read pre omd issues where MJ and him were together and I felt so bored because he's never been able to maintain himself as a superhero already being married complicated things for him even more.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 02-19-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well it was at the time. And other writers have done far worse to characters they didn't like.
    I’m not trying to start a fight but it would all depend on what you find creative, for me if Conway had been able to keep Gwen alive and move her organically out of the book I would give him props but being told we need to kill someone I can’t make this character interesting and I really don’t like her to me that’s not creative.

Quote Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
    Perhaps...most of the mentality came from MJ winning the 1967 Alley Award Popularity Poll: Best Female Normal Supporting Character. I'm guessing that the Marvel Bullpen wasn't expecting her to win ANY poll at the time since she was originally created as a foil. But at least she had fans even before Gerry Conway's run.

You'd have to scroll down to the 1967 section for her poll results.
    http://www.cbgxtra.com/knowledge-bas...ards-1961-1970

I had no real problem with Gwen myself. I just happen to like sassy characters more LOL. But honestly....if these two fictional characters really existed, I can't imagine they'd be comfortable knowing there are fans that constantly pair them up with someone. I can see them being entirely creeped out by this. Good thing they're fictional Hahaha!

--Wolfie
    I could be wrong wolfie but I think I asked in the Gwen forum and it had nothing to do with the 1967 Alley Award Popularity Poll it was simple that Stan the Man except Gwen to be the one for Peter and Gerry thought it was wish fulfillment that’s why I’m saying its funny any one of the love interests and others would be everyone’s favorite after having non stop development and panel time over 50 years and the only reason it was done that way was because of Gerry’s decision to kill Gwen off and not one writer afterwards wanting to change it until OMD which is hated by most of the fan base.
    Truth is the best policy

BANNED

I’m not trying to start a fight but it would all depend on what you find creative, for me if Conway had been able to keep Gwen alive and move her organically out of the book I would give him props but being told we need to kill someone I can’t make this character interesting and I really don’t like her to me that’s not creative.
    Mate, this is so groundhog day. I must admire your stamina, to get into it, as if you were pitting against a new argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    I voted none. Spider-Man always felt he was too busy to settle down and I have read pre omd issues where MJ and him were together and I felt so bored because he's never been able to maintain himself as a superhero already being married complicated things for him even more.
    The real-life complications are pretty much the cornerstone of Spider-Man as a comic book series.

The marriage was, however, terribly written for long stretches. But, just like the drop in sales post-OMD is rightly defended as being a result of the state of the industry rather than a reaction to OMD, the marriage being badly written is less a result of the marriage being bad for the book and more to do with it coinciding with a creative low-point in comics in general. The 90s were generally awful. With a few exceptions like Kraven's Last Hunt, I don't think the marriage was done all that well until JMS.

There really wasn't a way to move her organically out of the book. They really did have a point about not having anywhere plausible to go except an engagement and/or revealing his identity. And both of those could have only been dragged out for so long.

The irony is that they are now in the same position with Mary Jane. Everything used to keep her and Peter apart feels like an artificial delaying tactic. But Marvel's hands are tied a bit more tightly here. They can't really get rid on Mary Jane without causing serious backlash (OMD would seem like minor grumbling in contrast) . . . and it would never stick long term. It's pretty much accepted that Gwen is dead, and that's that. But anything done to "permanently" nix Peter/MJ would be undone eventually.
    Last edited by Tuck; 02-19-2015 at 09:19 AM.