Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Gage Talks Storming the Shores of "Spider-Island" for "Secret Wars"

Christos Gage tells CBR about returning to a Manhattan dominated by monstrous Spider-People as he reimagines the outcome of the "Spider-Island."

Full article here.

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

Not to be "That guy" but it seems like SW: Spider-Island is good enough to sell on its own merit. Christos Gage is phenomenal. So why is Mayday in a back up story as opposed to getting her own mini during Secret Wars OR include her in SW: Spider-Verse? Slott left lots to follow up with now that Uncle Ben is there, MC2 Peter is dead and May's taken on the name "Spider-Woman". Marvel is pretty much flooding the market with Secret Wars minis so why not just have one more for Mayday's own book...
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Big fan of Gage so looking forward to reading this.

I was sold on this.....but Capwolf?! Even better!

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Big fan of Gage so looking forward to reading this.
    Ditto. I'm not a regular Spidey reader, but I do like Gage's work.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    Not to be "That guy" but it seems like SW: Spider-Island is good enough to sell on its own merit. Christos Gage is phenomenal. So why is Mayday in a back up story as opposed to getting her own mini during Secret Wars OR include her in SW: Spider-Verse? Slott left lots to follow up with now that Uncle Ben is there, MC2 Peter is dead and May's taken on the name "Spider-Woman". Marvel is pretty much flooding the market with Secret Wars minis so why not just have one more for Mayday's own book...
    You're not alone I've been wondering the same thing myself especially considering both Mayday's continued popularity and her place in Marvel Comics history of being the longest running title starring a female character. It makes no sense for Mayday to be the back up title when as you said Marvel's releasing hundreds of tie in mini-series for Secret Wars

So, is MJ a spider monster in this? Just curious because of how prominent she is on the cover and this interview doesn't really mention her at all.

BANNED

They probably think it'll sell better as a combo title. It'll also get readers there just for Spider-Island to read the Mayday story, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    You're not alone I've been wondering the same thing myself especially considering both Mayday's continued popularity and her place in Marvel Comics history of being the longest running title starring a female character. It makes no sense for Mayday to be the back up title when as you said Marvel's releasing hundreds of tie in mini-series for Secret Wars
    Apparently they weren't even planning to give MC2 a Secret Wars tie-in at all (which is weird since MC2 characters were in the initial promo art) and we only got this out of Mayday's appearance in Spider-Verse. The real mystery is why Slott left things so messed up for her status quo-I mean Unle Ben would actually work as a new viewpoint character for MC2. You'd think if this is the end of MC2, they'd have at least let the guys who poured 10+ years of effort into it wrap it up on their own terms without awful crossover dreck screwing things up.

Amazing Member

So let me get this streight no Kain No Anti-Venom Annnnnnd No M.J. ......So no hope Ah I get it The Walking dead-with spiders WEEEEEeeeeeeeeee sounds loads fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    If we go by what Slott has been mentioning, the reason MC2 even got their own story was for the renewed interest on Mayday from her appearance in Spider-Verse. Let's not forget that May was originally going to be part of Secret Wars' SV, so we could assume that this was something thrown at last minute as a back-up story.

Yeah, this sounds interesting and I like Gage as a writer, but I'm a little miffed at the MC2 portion of Secret War getting relegated to just a few backup pages for this series. Mayday and the universe as a whole deserves better than that, especially in light of what happened to her in Spider-Verse and the all the other Secret War books .

Meanwhile, a mention of Stegron has my interest piqued more than ever.

-Pav, who doesn't have a Stegron obsession, okay...?!

(...and is a liar)
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

MJ has to appear here!!! After all, what's the point in showing her in the cover if she has no role. (And I do NOT want to see her as a Spider-Monster). By the way, besides Agent Venom, it says the leaders of the resistance are the Vision and "Spider-Woman". But I can't avoid to think, is this "Spider-Woman" actually Jessica Drew, or maybe Mary Jane decided to put a costume on? It bugs me enormously that he didn't say a word about MJ in the interview. I supposed that Anti-Venom wasn't present here, considering he was the key to stop the spider-infection.

One more thing, can somebody recognize the monsters in the cover of issue #2 who are along Agent Venom? I recognize Werewolf Captain America (I wonder how the webs he ended up here) and Stegron, but who are the other guys? One looks like some kind of "Green Goblin" and the other one looks like an overgrown Lizard.

One more thing, there something wrong about what he said in the interview. From the original story, they told us that the infection only affected "regular humans". Which means that if you are a mutant or you have already suffered some kind of mutation (gamma radiation like Hulk or cosmic rays like 4F), then you are immune to the decease. So how is it possible that now they tell us that there is a "Spider-Hulk"? I mean, we can have a Spidey who goes Hulk, but not a Hulk that goes Spidey.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    MJ has to appear here!!! After all, what's the point in showing her in the cover if she has no role. (And I do NOT want to see her as a Spider-Monster). By the way, besides Agent Venom, it says the leaders of the resistance are the Vision and "Spider-Woman". But I can't avoid to think, is this "Spider-Woman" actually Jessica Drew, or maybe Mary Jane decided to put a costume on? It bugs me enormously that he didn't say a word about MJ in the interview. I supposed that Anti-Venom wasn't present here, considering he was the key to stop the spider-infection.

One more thing, can somebody recognize the monsters in the cover of issue #2 who are along Agent Venom? I recognize Werewolf Captain America (I wonder how the webs he ended up here) and Stegron, but who are the other guys? One looks like some kind of "Green Goblin" and the other one looks like an overgrown Lizard.

One more thing, there something wrong about what he said in the interview. From the original story, they told us that the infection only affected "regular humans". Which means that if you are a mutant or you have already suffered some kind of mutation (gamma radiation like Hulk or cosmic rays like 4F), then you are immune to the decease. So how is it possible that now they tell us that there is a "Spider-Hulk"? I mean, we can have a Spidey who goes Hulk, but not a Hulk that goes Spidey.
    The big green guy I'm sure is Hulk but I'm in debate on who the goblin guy is but it might be Tony. Ironic considering just before spider-island Osborn was running around with his things. Strange and yet fitting. At least Tony could use Extremis to fix everyone if he is fine.
    In an interview he mentioned that the infection got so bad that Venom needs to change them into something else. I guess in this case Cap Wolf, Lizard serum, Goblin formula or whatever he can use to help break control is why they look like that.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.