Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default Results: X-Books Awards voting 2022

Here we go people the results of the X-Books Awards voting 2022.

You were able to vote for these the last weeks and as off today I will publish the results.

This also means you can not longer edit your submitted voted.

For those who did miss it: You can still vote HERE, but only for the yet unpublished categories.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Favorite Ongoing Title of the Year

This year we entered the 'Destiny of X' era. Sadly enough 2022 did not include the Hellions title anymore, which had won this category of the voting contest for the last two years, neither the number two, of last year: S.W.O.R.D. We did get a few new ongoing titles and a few other remained. So which were the most popular ongoings of 2022?

NUMBER 1
    X-Men Red

With 124 points, including 24 number one votes

The series that followed up after the highly appreciated SWORD series, had Storm in the role she so long deserved and she did so well. We saw the Arakki culture being explained, Magneto in a fantastic role and Sunspot finally, finally getting the spotlight and being used to his full potential that we wanted for years. The stories so well written,, the art being so suitable for the title, al this added up, made X-Men Red the winner of the most favorite ongoing title of the year.

NUMBER 2
    Immortal X-Men

With 95 points, including 13 number one votes

Not a bad score for the number two. Another new title which was launched this year, focusing on the members of the Quiet Council. We had great back ground stories about some of the, other were the center of attention during the days of Judgment. Let us hope the series will get a follow up after the Sins of Sinister has been done.

NUMBER 3
    X-Men

With 34 points, including twice a #1 vote

Quite a big gap between the number 3 and the two titles above, but still one of our favorites. Though not all of us thought the previous team members like Sunfire, Polris and Rogue were used to their full potential before they left, we did get a new team, including Firestar, who was voted on by the X-Men fans (though many of this board did not want her to win). We had some great stories, I like the one going back to the Vault very much. The team will move onto the next year, with very likely a new cast. Lets hope the current team will be having great adventures in the meantime.

Least Favorite Ongoing Title
    Besides loving, we also dislike some of the ongoings that have been published in 2022. Like every year, some of the voters did not want to vote for least favorites, as they wanted to stay positive, I do like that positive attitude! Last years number one was X-Force, let's see if the title did better this year........

NUMBER 1
    X-Force
    With 80 points, including 14 number one votes

Like last year, this is the least liked X-book at the moment. But good news, the title will continue to be published in 2023, so enough time for it to improve. Who knows, it might get better. Let at least hope the ongoing weird stuff with Beast will end, as that seems to be the main reason people dislike the book.

NUMBER 2
    Marauders

With 57 points , including 8 number 1 votes

The relaunch of the Marauders into 2022 was not a great success according to the voters. The art was not liked much and the stories about the Crimson Kin and then the Treshhold were not that good written. The cast of the title was great, so let's see what the future brings us with this title.

NUMBER 3
    With 32 points, including 4 number one votes

Legion of X

Somehow this new title did not do that well. I think they wanted to do to much in one title with a to large cast and to many stories at the same time. We did like the introduction of Mother Righteous, but are still in the dark who she is and why she does what she does, though we do have an idea.

Can we talk about the results in this thread? If not I will edit this response out.

I honestly liked most of the miniseries better than the monthly series this year. I voted Immortal X-Men number 1, Legion of X number2, and Wolverine number 3. If I could I would probably voted at least four of the miniseries ahead of Legion of X and Wolverine, the comics that I voted second and third.

X-Men Red just isn't for me.. It's not a bad comic, it's just not for me. I don't care much for outer space stories. I can read the occasional Imperial Guard/ Shi'ar or phalanx story but that's about it. Outer space stuff just puts me to sleep just by looking at it. I can tell it's a quality comic though and if wasn't set in outer space I probably would have liked it a bit more. I followed the voting so I knew that it would win. Cograts to it and it's fans.

The main X-Men comic didn't do much for me this year.

For the results for least favorite comics I will say this:

I followed the voting so I knew that Legion of X would do poorly, but it did receive some other positive votes besides my vote for number 2 spot. It seems to be a polarizing comic. I think that people probably didn't care for some of the religeon/souls stuff in the comic but I'm not sure.

Marauders just wasn't a very good comic.
    Last edited by Thievery; 01-12-2023 at 04:57 AM.

#JusticeForMarauders

Y'all are letting "bad" art take you out of what is actually a really interesting book with new and newly-relevant characters that don't feel superfluous and are all getting good panel time. Marauders juggles its cast a lot better than X-Men does.

Favorite One Shot

Some of the times we do like self contained stories. Nice 1 issue stories. Of course some are better than others of course. So which one-shot pleased you the most? Last year the Hellfire Gala was the big winner. This year we did get another Hellfire Gala, did it win again, or did another one-shot claim the number one spot?

NUMBER 1
    Giant Size Thunderbird

With 40 points, including 7 number 1 votes

After so many decades, who would have thought Thunderbird John Proudstar would ever return? He was part of the ANAD team, but did not last long, as 'he had a plane to catch'. Over the years he did appear ad Dead X-Man or ghost a few times, but he is back now and started of with another fight against his long time ago nemesis Martynec

NUMBER 2
    A.X.E.: X-Men

With 38 points, including 6 number 1 votes

We can say without a doubt that Judgment Day was all over the place and was actually quite well written. It also gave us multiple one-shots tying into the even and the one focusing on mainly Jean Grey was voted for many times, making it to the number two spot.

NUMBER 3
    Hellfire Gala 2022

With 28 points, including four #1 votes

Last year we saw the Hellfire Gala for the first time and it had big reveals (going to Mars). This year we had another one and yes, it was widely loved again. We had the X-Men team reveal and Moira making her entrance, secretly visiting Krakoa under the skin of MJ Watson. What intrigues will we get at the gala in 2023? Can't wait to find out.

Least Favorite One-shot

These 3 one-shots were received with little applause. Last year the Claremont Anniversary Issue was given little appreciation. This year he came back with the Gambit mini, which was way better.

This year there were not an awful not who voted in this category, so perhaps they are improving? Lets see the scores.

NUMBER 1
    X-Force Annual
    With 23 points, including 3 number 1 votes

This was expected ads the ongoing was also least appreciated. Let's not waste more words on it.

NUMBER 2
    With 19 points, including 4 number one votes
    AXE: Avengers

I honestly did not think any AXE Judgment Day titles would score bad, But apparently you guys did not like the issue that mainly focused on Tony Stark, aka Iron Man. ehhh, are we not getting some sort of crossover with him in 2023? Hope you will like that more then.

NUMBER 3
    Secret X-Men

With 14 points and 2 number 1 votes.

I do believe if this was published hardcopy, it would have ended higher ranked. But this was an Marvel Unlimited series and not all here read those. The idea of a team-upo with the losers of the X-Men contest worked out great last year. But this story of a long forgotten villain trying to kidnap Gorgon, was not interesting at all. The bad art didn't help either.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    #JusticeForMarauders

Y'all are letting "bad" art take you out of what is actually a really interesting book with new and newly-relevant characters that don't feel superfluous and are all getting good panel time. Marauders juggles its cast a lot better than X-Men does.
    Fair.
    Truth to tell...I would be more invested in the story if the art was better as I do like the characters of this team.
    But...I'm not buying what I consider gawdfuckingawful art even if the story might (might) be interesting.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Lmao Axe: Avengers is barely an X-issue, why'd it get nuked T_T

X:Red\Thunderbird winning, tho. Well deserved!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Fair.
    Truth to tell...I would be more invested in the story if the art was better as I do like the characters of this team.
    But...I'm not buying what I consider gawdfuckingawful art even if the story might (might) be interesting.
    For sure, enough people have complained about the art that it's clearly hampering sales and excitement for the book. I just think it's unfortunate, because the plot with Threshold is literally a BobbysWorld comment come to life, and as much as we complain about the lack of actual diversity in the X-Characters who get the spotlight, this book stars Bishop, Kitty, Kwannon, Daken, Aurora, Somnus, Tempo, and Cassandra Nova. That's an incredibly diverse lineup and if we did the math, probably the most diverse lineup of the current slate of books. The fact that Daken is a bisexual in a heterosexual relationship on the team with his ex-boyfriend AND current girlfriend, and they all get along, is honestly progressive as ****.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    For sure, enough people have complained about the art that it's clearly hampering sales and excitement for the book. I just think it's unfortunate, because the plot with Threshold is literally a BobbysWorld comment come to life, and as much as we complain about the lack of actual diversity in the X-Characters who get the spotlight, this book stars Bishop, Kitty, Kwannon, Daken, Somnus, Tempo, and Cassandra Nova. That's an incredibly diverse lineup and if we did the math, probably the most diverse lineup of the current slate of books.
    Absolutely, with the regards to the diversity of the team. Also a really diverse set of powers and characteristics to play off of each other. From the very little I read in the earlies (it was on my pull-list) it was an interesting premise...until...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

it's diverse but it's not an interesting cast or one with chemistry.

it doesn't help the first two story arcs have fell majorly flat.

Cassandra was a pretty weird addition that I still don't think works. While Somnus was just this new take without any hook that they expect you to care about.

Tempo could work but it feels like she's just there but you can say that for most of the group. You kinda forget Aurora is even there.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Fair.
    Fully admit that the art is what keeps me from reading the book. IMO it's too much of a hindrance for me to even consider paying to look at no matter how interesting the story may be.

Thanks for uploading, MoS. I've been dying for the results for like a week now. The voting extension had me so salty because I wanted to know what everyone picked.

As for the Marauders discourse, I can sadly see why it's unpopular. I don't mind the art most of the time, but it often doesn't fit the story. They strayed from the original concept of the Marauders and dove into lore for the Shi'ar, then spent a ton of time on yet another mutant society, but this time they're very irrelevant and already dead. And while I think the book is better than Legion of X, the latter is an easier read even if you're not vibing with it.

I think Orlando is a great writer, I appreciate how he came in swinging, and I love his attention to continuity and tying things together. I just feel like he wasn't giving what most of us wanted or needed.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-12-2023 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Marauders and (to a lesser extent) Legion Of X are very needlessly hard to follow. There are the monthlies where you quickly get up to speed with where the story was left off, and then there are the ones like these (and sometimes Tini Howard books) that have you going back to check if you missed an issue or if it’s really this confusing.