Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    was classic strange more powerful then pre-retcon molecule man?
    Just to pile on, no: god no, f$*€ no, heavens no, hell no and OMGWTF no.

Pre-retcon Owen was comfortably above the Living Tribunal. I mean, explicitly so - as in, the LT came to Denver begging for his help.

I really don't understand people's obsession with that particular retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I really don't understand people's obsession with that particular retcon.
    Sometimes it almost feels like those people are asking

*I know nothing beats Precon MM/Beyonder and thats awesome, but I have to make reaaaally sure/get some confirmation, Character X is NOT more powerful than Precon MM/Beyonder, right?*

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Hey man Mighty Avengers is one of the best books Marvel has. Kaluu is great in it, now I want to read his older appearances.
    Eh. Slightly better than "garbage" isn't hard to manage :P
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    Apparently, Kaluu said it would take decades for him to be in peak magical condition so he's occasionally been blind sided but so far he's shown good recovery. That said he basically fought Blade to a stand-still in hand to hand combat though it looked like Blade was a step ahead (not like there is any shame in that but when you consider that Blade had blind sided him earlier via stabbing him in the heart with a stake from behind, it's a good showing). Right before they threw down he called Blade "Spork" (not sure why I found that funny but I did)

I really liked the tone when it was just Mighty Avengers, reminded me of the 70's and 80's team stories the author (Ewing) also at least has a good handle on continuity. The relaunched Captain America & the Mighty Avengers has just been axis tie-ins so far so maybe that's why I'm not as into it.
    Also interesting. Thanks. Hopefully we'll see more of Kaluu.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    was classic strange more powerful then pre-retcon molecule man?
    Why ask when we're talking about him being somewhere in the Surfer-to-Thanos ballpark?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Also interesting. Thanks. Hopefully we'll see more of Kaluu.

Why ask when we're talking about him being somewhere in the Surfer-to-Thanos ballpark?
    its what he does, sharp. he asks questions that he knows the answer to and doesn't seem to understand the answers he is given so he keeps asking them.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Was Molecule Man always that powerful, or was that whole "Peer of the Beyonder" thing an explicit power up, or even another retcon altogether?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Was Molecule Man always that powerful, or was that whole "Peer of the Beyonder" thing an explicit power up, or even another retcon altogether?
    Molecule Man was comparatively normal but then his experiences during Secret War and his enlightenment as to the scale of his powers by Beyonder Doom left him exploring his own abilities. This resulted in him realising that he was insanely more powerful than he thought and in fact a peer of Beyonder and such other ridiculous things.

So... not an explicit powerup, since he always had that level of power to begin with technically, but his powers definitely increased in scale after Secret Wars.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

To be more precise, when he got his powers, he had two huge mental blocks - normal, because he was a pretty weak-willed guy. Problem 1: Could only affect non-living stuff, and Problem 2: he needed his wand to do anything at all. His early losses came when people took the wand away, leaving him a helpless chubby dude. That block went away sometime around Avengers 250-ish. There was a scene where Cap busted through to grab the wand, and snapped it, only to have Reece still function just fine. Some exposition explained that he'd realized it wasn't the wand.

The second block to go was the "living stuff" block. Doom released that during SW, and also showed that he was just generally more powerful than he thought. He still wasn't exactly a peer of the Beyonder (or Beyonder-Doom), but he was good enough to be able to bring all of the bad guys back from SW, etc. The "peer of the Beyonder and second-strongest dude evah" stuff came in SW2, when the assembled cosmics, including the LT, came to him begging for him to save their butts.