Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hanna Barbera vibe, and when they beat Magneto he pounds the ground with his fists and says “drat, and double drat!”

The Fox X-Men weren't dark. They were crap dressed in black leather from Hot Topic.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I hope they treat Mutant movies in a variety of ways with a variety of tones. It's too broad to be limited to one tone. It should be like Avengers where it has multiple sub-franchises within the franchise.

I think they definitely should go a bit darker with the X-films . X-men is not just about a group of people taking down supervillains . If they try to make them like the avengers then that would be so disappointing.

Now of course, it doesn't have to be dark all the time. Show their breakfasts, their baseball games , them going to Harry's hideout to hang out,etc. Show human allies , show laws being implemented for the safety of mutants . They can't lose all the time, and they shouldn't be exterminated every year like in the comics. That's what I hope for
    Last edited by Fall-From-Grace; 03-09-2020 at 06:17 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

More emphasis on the fantasy elements.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    More emphasis on the fantasy elements.
    Yes! The Foxmen learned really hard into the military industrial complex response to mutants, and while a valid take, there’s way more to mutants than that. Their “otherness” often makes them a conduit into magical planes, like Otherworld and Limbo.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I just want smily, kind, open Kurt, rather than dark brooding tortured Kurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    The Fox X-Men weren't dark. They were crap dressed in black leather from Hot Topic.
    This made me laugh out loud. I needed that. Thank you.

I hope the movies are serious but still enjoyable. The X-Men are about hope to me and I found some of their movies just so bleak and bland that it was pathetic. I think by speading the focus on more than just a few characters will allow them to have serveral movies with several different tones, but still all fit together. I am very much looking forward to seeing them in the MCU. I can wait to see new life breathed into the characters.

BANNED

there needs to be a genuine bound betwen the characthers, not constant snarky comments and cold stares like the avengers or empty over the top like the guardians.
    common moments of genuine chemestry that doesnt need to be overplayed.

besides that I have no expectations since the mcu tends to disapoint if you have expectations

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Complete nonsense that Fox used a darker tone. X-Men comics are dark.

X-Men was not about humor
    X-Men dealt with human problems, stop mistaking it for mopey
    X-Men was never meant to appeal to the kids crowd that know little about cinema or care about adult problems in comics

The tone should be a lot like the Fox Films.

With the books, mutants discovering they have super powers is usually the darker parts of X-Men, as it usually addressing the themes of innocence, hatred, prejudice. You are making X-men 3 look better than the new Spiderman films. You are making X-Men 1 look like a masterpiece to the new Spiderman films.

Why do MCU fans keep belittling X-Men like this. Its intellectually outright offensive. Have you ever seen a DCU fan questioning why Joker and Dark Knight are dark movies, insisting Batman movies should be more like Shazam and Aquaman. Its just so offensive.
    "Human" issues, whereas everything else in comic books are just fiction. Got it.

There has always been humor in much of the X-Men, for the past couple of decades the focus has been grim for many of the most popular books. It used to be that the X-Men played baseball together, go out for drinks, and laugh a little. X-Men like Nightcrawler and Kitty could keep things lite with their humor - Wolverine could even be depended upon to make a humorous comment. The New Mutants and especially Excalibur were definitely lighter in tone than most of the other books. When New Mutants became X-Force, it definitely got darker as Cable became the focus.

Since the beginning, the X-Men have always used their younger students/members to draw in younger readers, so I'm not sure how you have interpreted that the series is made only for adults.

So, while the X-books have been darker than most of the other Marvel titles, it's no Walking Dead.

And I'm just trying to anticipate how Marvel will handle atmosphere. The X-Men films could potentially out earn the Avengers due to their popularity, and to capitalize, Marvel will make the films family-friendly. They absolutely will. It's how they approach it that makes all the difference - they don't want some awful hybrid like what the Fox films turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I think that Winter Soldier and Civil War had a good blend of dark/humor and I'd like to see the X-Men be along those lines. I would love to see another movie like Logan but with a younger Wolverine. Maybe a better Weapon X story then what we got. Not sure if Disney has the guts to go that dark and violent though.
    This is more in my line of thinking, with s more hands off Disney so we get more edgy action scenes/violence.

I read most of X-men comics during my childhood.
    It was far from being culmination of persecutions of the mutants by the humans then. It could be a plot device but rarely the main subject of the story.

There has been an evolution of the tone of X-men over the years for something darker and darker. More graphic too in the depiction of the violence.

Although I think there could be a lighter tone in X-men comics and then a greater freedom for X-men authors in the choice of subjects — X-men universe feels rather cloistered — I'm not very hopeful: it would need an exceptional author to break this confined system.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The Inhumans in the "Agents of SHIELD" series are basically lawyer-friendly mutants, when Marvel lacked the rights. Simply do something similar to that.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Idk, at this point I'm confused why fans aren't giving Marvel a little more credit, every movie is not like GOTG. Marvel does a very good job balancing darker tones and themes, with comedy and lightheartedness. I mean as someone mentioned Winter Soldier was a much different film than Antman, which was a much different film than Captain Marvel, which was different to Black Panther.

Marvel has had the opportunity to work through the kinks and practice perfecting the balance with the phases of the Avengers. I can only imagine them taking everything they've learned from 2008 til last year and using it all to create something while familiar also much different than what we've seen before. In no way am I suggesting the X-men will be perfect or there won't be areas of improvement, personally I'm just excited about the whole property being taken seriously and with care. FOX casually wasted so many opportunities to do something great, and I don't think Marvel is going to repeat their folly!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Idk, at this point I'm confused why fans aren't giving Marvel a little more credit, every movie is not like GOTG. Marvel does a very good job balancing darker tones and themes, with comedy and lightheartedness. I mean as someone mentioned Winter Soldier was a much different film than Antman, which was a much different film than Captain Marvel, which was different to Black Panther.
    Marvel balances lightheartedness and dark, in what movies did they do this? The thread master is aware that X-men was a different level of Dark incomparable to the MCU.

I mean as someone mentioned Winter Soldier was a much different film than Antman, which was a much different film than Captain Marvel, which was different to Black Panther.
    We don't have to watch any of these movies not to accept the truth they are Disney films filled with unrealistic limitations and don't get me started on how this movies are shot, made, CGI or the cinematography of these films.

Marvel has had the opportunity to work through the kinks and practice perfecting the balance with the phases of the Avengers. I can only imagine them taking everything they've learned from 2008 til last year and using it all to create something while familiar also much different than what we've seen before.
    The recent marvel films are spoofy parodies. Comparing them to X-Men in tone and darkness makes MCU look more childish than it need to be.

In no way am I suggesting the X-men will be perfect or there won't be areas of improvement, personally I'm just excited about the whole property being taken seriously and with care. FOX casually wasted so many opportunities to do something great, and I don't think Marvel is going to repeat their folly!

Depends on your definition of what you call great.What should be great X-Men. I would not call the reputation that comic movies ares spoofy child only fiction great. What was great was X-Men 1 opening the movie in concentration camps, changing non-comic fans thoughts on superhero stories intellectually, that was great. Marvel is not going to repeat that. Marvel constantly uses humor, stays on the light side and uses CGI as if the movies never had anything mind challenging to say. they don't want you to take the films seriously.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 03-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.