Page 281 of 750 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 11243
    Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    And I never said he isn't an inventor or can't invent things. I said that the role was deemphasized to focus on his abilities as a fighter and a strategist. The majority of his characterisation and his feats have to do with that, and not what he invented.
    If the goal was to focus of BP's abilities as a fighter and a strategist, then he would be more akin to Captain America, or Daredevil for that matter.

All heroes have to have some type of fighting and strategy skills, unless that are immensely powerful (i.e. Thor, Hulk, Superman, Silver Surfer, etc.)

I find it funny that people do not want T'Challa to be similar to Tony Stark, but have no problem with him being a knock-off Cap America or Daredevil. Why ??????

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with the comments in BOLD.

Priest (Vol 3) and Hudlin (Vol 4) did focus on T'Challa's scientific/engineering creative abilities. It was BP's wealth, political power, AND scientific/engineering creative abilities that makes him comparable to Tony Stark. If it was just his strategic mind set and not scientific/engineering creative abilities, he would be more akin to Cap.

Twice in the issue were Storm & BP go to see Doom on their Honeymoon does Hudlin showcase T'Challa's inventive mind (see images below).

Attachment 97960

Attachment 97962

Priest & Hudlin both built on the fact that T'Challa is an polymath genius who invents cool stuff, who rules over a country of warrior geniuses who invents cool stuff (not every citizen, but he has access to the best engineers & scientist geniuses who invent cool stuff for him & the country lol).

My two favorite comic characters at this point are T'Challa (No.1) and Tony Stark (No.2). I do not really want all of their personality traits from the MCU to bleed exactly into the comics.

Shuri (or Taku) can build T'Challa tech, but he should be able to build/invent his own gear when the need arises, as was done in Rise of the Black Panther.

Everyone knows Batman can build his own gadgets, but the writers over time stated he gets a lot of his gear from Wayne Enterprises. I would think because it saves time on Bruce having to create everything (Read " Under the Hood").

As a leader Black Panther should delegate work when appropriate [ which is how Priest and Hudlin wrote majority of their BP comics], but T'Challa should not be striped of his inventive abilities to try and sale comics. Quality writing should be applied to sale comics.
    If the goal was to focus of BP's abilities as a fighter and a strategist, then he would be more akin to Captain America, or Daredevil for that matter.

All heroes have to have some type of fighting and strategy skills, unless that are immensely powerful (i.e. Thor, Hulk, Superman, Silver Surfer, etc.)

I find it funny that people do not want T'Challa to be similar to Tony Stark, but have no problem with him being a knock-off Cap America or Daredevil. Why ??????
    Dude, I don't know where you got the impression that we want T'Challa to not be an inventor or a polymath genius but that's not what I or MoS are saying at all? Seems like that got lost in translation somewhere.

Hell, you're saying the exact same thing we're saying. You know T'Challa should delegate tasks to people and that's what we want to. You know T'Challa doesn't need to be seen constantly inventing to prove his intelligence, and we've been saying that.

What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Dude, I don't know where you got the impression that we want T'Challa to not be an inventor or a polymath genius but that's not what I or MoS are saying at all? Seems like that got lost in translation somewhere.

Hell, you're saying the exact same thing we're saying. You know T'Challa should delegate tasks to people and that's what we want to. You know T'Challa doesn't need to be seen constantly inventing to prove his intelligence, and we've been saying that.

What's the problem?
    Please see my original comments and the responses to them to understand my position on defending T'Challa portrayal (see images):

BP coment 1a.jpg

BP coment 1.jpg

As I said, the main point I want to make is that T'Challa should not be striped of his inventive abilities to try and sale comics. Quality writing should be applied to sale comics.

The movie & cartoon should not HEAVILY influence the comics. It should be the other way around.

And I will stick with that statement.

Priest Panther's genius focus was not inventing gadgets. That was tertiary at best.

Genius Focus #1: 10 steps ahead

Genius Focus #2: strategic fighting/gadgets on the fly.

A lot of times, those things were combined as well.

It seems, to me, you focus so much on one flower int he forest and miss the forest completely. Reading Priest's stories, you don't finish an arc and go, "man, that was some cool **** T'challa invented!"

And I really can't even believe you are trying to argue Hudlin focused on invention building based on ONE PANEL that may actually be THE only panel in the entire Volume 4 that mentions inventing/building ****.

I just scanned all the feats I have in tech/genius and that was basically the only panels from that volume lol. Hudlin's Panther was not a science guy. Genius yes, science guy, not really. In fact, he stripped t'challa of his biggest genius feats by making Wakanda always advanced.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea a mixture of both is the right approach. T'Challa should be competent enough to hold his own in the lab with Reed but where he really should shine is in unorthodox situations where innovation and strategy is key.

The best example being his fight against Iron Man. Between a vibranium suit, kinetic energy redirection, energy daggers, and Kimoyo T'Challa should be able to handle most threats with standard gear and if needed make stuff on the fly. The only thing is it requires a creative writer with an eye for the unconventional to make it work within the story.
    Yeah and the guy who could do that, hasn't been hired out to continue what he did on Panther quest. I really don't need a super tech heavy T'Challa. Hell like I have said several times here on this forum that for the sequel, all I really need to see to show his polymath genius, is a scene with Shuri in Which he gives her schematics for his updated habit in which she notes the changes are "extensive" and "complex" maybe throw in it works perfectly followed by T'Challa throwing the joke back at her.

He doesn't NEED to be shown tinkering, just show that he l knows his way around the tech scene but time isn't set aside for him to do so.

This new writer, hopefully will be a true fan of the character

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think you can argue pretty much all the BP writers put greater emphasis on him being a fighter and strategist over being an inventor.
    All except Coates, who focused on The scientist part, and even did a isht job at that to, but he definitely showed how well he can delegate so there's that

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah and the guy who could do that, hasn't been hired out to continue what he did on Panther quest. I really don't need a super tech heavy T'Challa. Hell like I have said several times here on this forum that for the sequel, all I really need to see to show his polymath genius, is a scene with Shuri in Which he gives her schematics for his updated habit in which she notes the changes are "extensive" and "complex" maybe throw in it works perfectly followed by T'Challa throwing the joke back at her.

He doesn't NEED to be shown tinkering, just show that he l knows his way around the tech scene but time isn't set aside for him to do so.

This new writer, hopefully will be a true fan of the character
    Speaking of updated habit, Coogler should have implemented the function to revert back to your previous clothes from the get go since they seemed to disintegrate after usage. Rich as he his, it would still be a waste of clothes for T'Challa.

The closer parallel is Batman, who is both one of the smartest guys in the world and one of the best fighters.

Please see my original comments and the responses to them to understand my position on defending T'Challa portrayal (see images):

BP coment 1a.jpg

BP coment 1.jpg

As I said, the main point I want to make is that T'Challa should not be striped of his inventive abilities to try and sale comics. Quality writing should be applied to sale comics.

The movie & cartoon should not HEAVILY influence the comics. It should be the other way around.
    You DO know that in Panther quest, Redjack had T'Challa invent things and show off his super genius right? In the very first episode when they were dealing with the sea monster, T'Challa and Tony were shown figuring out how the conch shell worked to control the creature, all throughout the series, he was creating things, Shuri was just the one who was primarily shown tinkering because she had the time to do it. Bit the tech T'Challa used against Thor? The panther suit against Tony? Pretty much all of his gear except for the stealth gear (I believe Shuri created that upgrade for him) were his own creation. Shuri had a role but both T'Challa abd Shuri were polymaths.. so what's wrong with PQ version??

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And I will stick with that statement.

Priest Panther's genius focus was not inventing gadgets. That was tertiary at best.

Genius Focus #1: 10 steps ahead

Genius Focus #2: strategic fighting/gadgets on the fly.

A lot of times, those things were combined as well.

It seems, to me, you focus so much on one flower int he forest and miss the forest completely. Reading Priest's stories, you don't finish an arc and go, "man, that was some cool **** T'challa invented!"

And I really can't even believe you are trying to argue Hudlin focused on invention building based on ONE PANEL that may actually be THE only panel in the entire Volume 4 that mentions inventing/building ****.

I just scanned all the feats I have in tech/genius and that was basically the only panels from that volume lol. Hudlin's Panther was not a science guy. Genius yes, science guy, not really. In fact, he stripped t'challa of his biggest genius feats by making Wakanda always advanced.
    I will say it again: the main point I want to make is that T'Challa should not be striped of his inventive abilities to try and sale comics. Quality writing should be applied to sale comics.

Yea a mixture of both is the right approach. T'Challa should be competent enough to hold his own in the lab with Reed but where he really should shine is in unorthodox situations where innovation and strategy is key.

The best example being his fight against Iron Man. Between a vibranium suit, kinetic energy redirection, energy daggers, and Kimoyo T'Challa should be able to handle most threats with standard gear and if needed make stuff on the fly. The only thing is it requires a creative writer with an eye for the unconventional to make it work within the story
    This quote is what I am saying for the next Black Panther run.

I say it again: I find it funny that people do not want T'Challa to be similar to Tony Stark, but have no problem with him being a knock-off Cap America or Daredevil. Why ??????

He should not spend all his time working on creating gear ( just like Iron Man & Batman don't spend ALL their time doing that), but it should be stated and known he can do such things, if need be. These qualities should not be sacrificed because of a new writer( it wasn't right when Coates did it).

I agree with you (for the most part) on the following:

Genius Focus #1: 10 steps ahead ( strong political and military acumen - I mean he is the king of the most technologically advanced nation)

Genius Focus #2: strategic fighting/gadgets on the fly. ( strong scientific/engineering abilities as well as a master martial arts fighter)

I just want the next Black Panther run to be a GOOD Black Panther run with the REAL T'Challa.

ONE MAJOR REQUEST THAT I HAVE IS: No new powers please. Can T'Challa just used the ones he already has along with his brains & skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    You DO know that in Panther quest, Redjack had T'Challa invent things and show off his super genius right? In the very first episode when they were dealing with the sea monster, T'Challa and Tony were shown figuring out how the conch shell worked to control the creature, all throughout the series, he was creating things, Shuri was just the one who was primarily shown tinkering because she had the time to do it. Bit the tech T'Challa used against Thor? The panther suit against Tony? Pretty much all of his gear except for the stealth gear (I believe Shuri created that upgrade for him) were his own creation. Shuri had a role but both T'Challa abd Shuri were polymaths.. so what's wrong with PQ version??
    It's been awhile since I watched the show, so maybe I didn't remember all of his scientific/engineering abilities that were demonstrated. If he did do all of these things, that's good.

But the video from YouTube I was referencing said the movie version not PQ cartoon show.

Just give me a T'Challa using pretty much the same gear & skill from "Rise" and I am good for the next run. Evan did a good job in that book.

The closer parallel is Batman, who is both one of the smartest guys in the world and one of the best fighters.
    How come Batman can have those qualities and be LOVED by the comic fan boys but it T'Challa has the same qualities he's a Mary Sue or "Boring"????

Awwww....who am I kidding? I know that the majority of BP/T'Challa fans in this message board ALREADY KNOW the answer to THAT question.

How come Batman can have those qualities and be LOVED by the comic fan boys but it T'Challa has the same qualities he's a Mary Sue or "Boring"????

Awwww....who am I kidding? I know that the majority of BP/T'Challa fans in this message board ALREADY KNOW the answer to THAT question.
    Plenty of people have argued Batman is a Mary Sue too. During Morrisons tenure on JLA you at times almost had to wonder what the heck Batman needed the JLA for.

Plenty of people have argued Batman is a Mary Sue too. During Morrisons tenure on JLA you at times almost had to wonder what the heck Batman needed the JLA for.
    Yeah I bet......I am sure Batman received the same level of scrutiny that T'Challa received. For some reason, it did not effect Batman's comic sales. Hmmm......I wonder why?

Yeah I bet......I am sure Batman received the same level of scrutiny that T'Challa received. For some reason, it did not effect Batman's comic sales. Hmmm......I wonder why?
    It likely doesn't effect BP sales either. Because neither actually are Mary Sue's. People just use the term incorrectly to knock characters they don't happen to be fond of.