Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1840
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yep, that's it! And the untold Spidey tale with Namor was fun ... though it involved a misunderstanding with Sue. LOL!

That whole Thor the Mighty Avenger series was great! It wasn't in continuity, per se, but it was a fun story with Jane and Thor going through the Marvel universe. Very heartwarming. If you get a physical copy of the trade, be careful, cause one version is in the digest format, which is smaller -- and I don't care for it at all. But there's a trade paperback version that has the complete series and it's full sized. Or you could just hunt down the individual comics.
    Thank you, Rev. I will probably get it digital in Comixology, nothing beats Guided View in a big screen TV!

You can't hate on poor ol' Man-Thing for getting a book. It won't last long I believe, and that character has also had a rough go in comics, a perpetual guest-star. That being said, I genuinely cannot think of another character at Marvel who so sorely needs and deserves an ongoing more than Namor. Not only is he essentially a founding character for the publisher, but he lives in a uniquely unexplored part of the Marvel Universe. Creators should be clamouring at the chance to take on a Sub-Mariner series and have almost carte blanche to do anything you want there. Expand and develop an entire world, build nations, enemies, histories and mythos, all with one of the most interesting and charismatic lead characters Marvel has to offer. Namor and his world have almost no baggage, no one has been developing this world for decades and you could pretty much tell any kind of story you could imagine there, from a Game of Thrones style, to John Carter of Mars and Lovecraft (or all at once) I have entire stories and my own head canon worked up in my mind and would kill to do this kind of stuff, I just don't understand why no one at Marvel does. If I were a writer or artist would I really want to work on the X-men or Spider-man for a billionth time? (as much as we love those characters)

There's just no drive there, on Marvel's end, the creators, or the fanbase. I have no idea why this is. Namor has a small, dedicated fanbase, but the majority of comic fans and certainly the general public, have all but forgotten Namor or know nothing about him to begin with. Marvel is too bust trying to force feed certain characters down the public's throat as well as agenda fighting on Twitter and press releases that they've forgotten why these characters have endured for so long. I'm sure the heads of Marvel see Namor as old or weird and not worth investing in. This attitude creeps into the readers as well and Namor somehow becomes a "hard sell". Namor hasn't existed since the 40's for no reason. The fault of Namor being that hard sell is entirely the fault of Marvel. Invest is getting a great team on Sub-Mariner, leave them there, and let them make readers remember why Namor is one of the greatest characters in comics.

Chuckle of the Day for all those who need one: A friend of a friend (who is not into comics) came into a conversation late and replied: "Man-Thing--yeah that is okay. But Boy-Thing....can't touch that!"

you all should pick up King in Black #2
    The J-man

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    you all should pick up King in Black #2

So, Swift Tide transformed appears, eh? I doubt we will see all those 'reviewers' eat crow about dissing the first issue of KiB Namor, because _they_ didn't see how it connected to King in Black -- but they should. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Chuckle of the Day for all those who need one: A friend of a friend (who is not into comics) came into a conversation late and replied: "Man-Thing--yeah that is okay. But Boy-Thing....can't touch that!"
    Hahahaha! Good point!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

From the March Marvel solicitations!

Final issue of the KiB Namor series!

KING IN BLACK: NAMOR #5 (OF 5)
    KURT BUSIEK (W)
    BEN DEWEY & JONAS SCHARF (A)
    Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    The grand finale! As the Dark Tide threatens Atlantis, Namor, Attuma and Dorma make a desperate, dangerous attempt to save the undersea world — but even if they can manage it, it’ll come at a great cost. Learn the fate of Atlantis — of Attuma — of the Dark Tide — and the future of the Dark Tide as well. What will come out of THE KING IN BLACK for Namor and Atlantis? Watch it unfold here.

I doubt he'll be in this, but it's nice to see someone (Checcetto) remember Namor.

CAPTAIN MARVEL 27
    SWIPE RIGHT, CAPTAIN MARVEL!
    Carol Danvers is back! Or is she? Devastated by her breakup with Rhodey, Carol can’t seem to get back into her groove. Sure, monsters are still getting punched, but things are also getting missed…and boy, oh boy, is she grouchy. Before she can drive them fully insane, Carol’s friends stage an intervention that looks a hell of a lot like speed dating. With friends like these, who needs enemies?! Featuring beloved Captain Marvel veteran artist David López!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Plus, we'll be getting a great and affordable reprint of Namor's first Silver Age appearances. I'm exciting about this one, because they are FINALLY giving Namor an Epic series. I'll be double dipping on this one, because it actually collects all his early appearances OUTSIDE of his book.

NAMOR, THE SUB-MARINER EPIC COLLECTION: ENTER THE SUB-MARINER TPB

Volume #1 in the Namor the Sub-Mariner Epic Collections
    Written by STAN LEE with LARRY LIEBER
    Penciled by JACK KIRBY & GENE COLAN with DICK AYERS & WALLACE WOOD
    Cover by GENE COLAN
    Marvel proudly presents Namor the Sub-Mariner’s early Silver Age appearances, all collected together for the very first time! An icon of comics’ Golden Age, the Sub-Mariner hadn’t been seen for nearly a decade when Stan Lee and Jack Kirby reintroduced him in 1962. Bold and brash, the Sub-Mariner fought Marvel’s heroes, allied with Doctor Doom and attacked the surface world just as readily as he might save it! After several memorable adventures, Namor graduated to his own TALES TO ASTONISH serial — and began a quest for the Trident of Neptune to prove his status as rightful heir to the throne of Atlantis! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #4, #6, #9, #14, #27, #33 and ANNUAL #1; AVENGERS (1963) #3-4; X-MEN (1963) #6 and DAREDEVIL (1964) #7 — plus material from STRANGE TALES (1951) #107 and #125; and TALES TO ASTONISH (1959) #70-76.
    408 PGS./All Ages …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92836-0

Okay, got my comics and it was nice to have some extra Namor content. King In Black #2 not only shows why his mini-series is part of this event, but Namor actually shows up in the book! And it wasn't a bad appearance. My only nit picking ...

spoilers:
    I don't understand WHY Iron Man, of all people, would know anything about Atlantean history and the Swift Tide. Doctor Strange? Okay, maybe, but of I don't think he was in this issue.

Also, I don't see Tony being the 'adult' in the room with a plan. ;p Or that Namor is going to follow his plan.

And WTF is Blade's problem? I don't think they've ever even met.

And, of course, Namor is there because Sue called. JUST. LIKE. EVERY. OTHER. TIME. Like I keep telling folks who accuse Namor of being a home wrecker or stalking Sue, it is NOT Namor. It is SUE who won't let go of using him.
    end of spoilers

The Alan Weiss story came out in MARVEL #3 today, and it IS the Namor the Sailor Man story! And it is retro fun, sort of in the Atlas era vibe. Weiss' anatomy is off, which, with the heavy inking, gives the story more of a cartoony feel. It isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it. I mean, Namor in a tux? Sign me up! LOL!

spoilers:
    I'm pretty well versed on Blade's comic history and I'm pretty sure they've never met. Even during that X-men vampire evnet years ago they never met. Maybe they'll retcon that or maybe since he's an Avenger now and Namor is a essentially an enemy to the current squad. He might pick up things through the grape vine.

Cates was pretty much just using Blade as the voice for fans here. Asking Krakoa for help? Questioning the use of reality warping/destroying items? All fair questions

Well Namor did ask for a plan and Tony gave it to him. Would you prefer if Reed or T'Challa gave it to him it's not like he's on great terms with those characters. Maybe the X-men if they cared to help. Namor did serve under the X-men for a little bit years ago.

Reed was not happy to see Namor tho. You could tell. lol

end of spoilers
    The J-man

spoilers:
    I'm pretty well versed on Blade's comic history and I'm pretty sure they've never met. Even during that X-men vampire evnet years ago they never met. Maybe they'll retcon that or maybe since he's an Avenger now and Namor is a essentially an enemy to the current squad. He might pick up things through the grape vine.

Cates was pretty much just using Blade as the voice for fans here. Asking Krakoa for help? Questioning the use of reality warping/destroying items? All fair questions

Well Namor did ask for a plan and Tony gave it to him. Would you prefer if Reed or T'Challa gave it to him it's not like he's on great terms with those characters. Maybe the X-men if they cared to help. Namor did serve under the X-men for a little bit years ago.

Reed was not happy to see Namor tho. You could tell. lol

end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Hmmm. They could have crossed paths during that Vampire X-Men event, but not in any memorable way, IIRC. I don't think Namor has fought the Avengers while Blade was on the team, has he? And I would have thought Blade would have had more respect for Namor, since it was Namor and the Atlanteans who were keeping Dracula dead, by locking Drac's head in a royally magic locked box at the bottom of the ocean. It was Namor who was willing to sacrifice himself to take out the underwater vampires, and who actually did take them out.

Not a role I see for Blade, but I'm not as familiar with him, or Cates, as I am Namor.

Well, given the use of Extremis, it was going to have be / involve Tony. But my major objection was Tony knowing anything about Atlantean history. Reed wouldn't have been a big deal, as Namor and they have a long relationship. And yes, alot of it involves not being thrilled to see each other. LOL!

Namor served WITH the X-men a while ago. ;p But clearly, the X-men are trying to stay out of the event.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm not saying it's in character. Just feel like Cates was using him as a mouthpiece for some fans or something of that nature.

He didn't fight Namor, he just might have picked something up through the grapevine. Conversations with She-Hulk or one of the other Avengers he talks to. Idk it's my only way to try to justify the writing in this event.

Again I'm not sure how much Blade is aware of. Dracula did get revived at the end of that event and he's still kicking now so.....

Blade normally isn't written as disrespectful (post Tomb of Dracula anyway), but he's more of a "to the point" sort of guy. I think some modern writters are still trying to get his tone. The most succsful ones tend to chanel the modern version based on the movies. Ironically, they could probably have an interesting history with each other if a writer cared. They are both around the same age and both have a semi friendly relaitonship to Doctor Doom.

Hopefully, Namor gets to fight waves of Symbiotes next issue.
    end of spoilers
    The J-man

spoilers:
    I'm not saying it's in character. Just feel like Cates was using him as a mouthpiece for some fans or something of that nature.

He didn't fight Namor, he just might have picked something up through the grapevine. Conversations with She-Hulk or one of the other Avengers he talks to. Idk it's my only way to try to justify the writing in this event.

Again I'm not sure how much Blade is aware of. Dracula did get revived at the end of that event and he's still kicking now so.....

Blade normally isn't written as disrespectful (post Tomb of Dracula anyway), but he's more of a "to the point" sort of guy. I think some modern writters are still trying to get his tone. The most succsful ones tend to chanel the modern version based on the movies. Ironically, they could probably have an interesting history with each other if a writer cared. They are both around the same age and both have a semi friendly relaitonship to Doctor Doom.

Hopefully, Namor gets to fight waves of Symbiotes next issue.
    end of spoilers

Ah, gotcha. I think I'm remembering the movie Blade more, and he's much less ... vocal and chatty. The Tomb of Dracula Blade was different and had more snappy dialog. But you are right, one shouldn't expect much as far as characterization in these big events.

I am curious about how the Black Tide and Ancient Atlantean magic fare against the symbiotes. I really wish writers would remember the magic set up in previous Namor books.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    You can't hate on poor ol' Man-Thing for getting a book. It won't last long I believe, and that character has also had a rough go in comics, a perpetual guest-star.
    I don't hate Man-Thing or his fans. I'm just mad at Marvel for giving that character a proper Anniversary celebration AND an ongoing, while completely ignoring their first and influential character. He hasn't been more of a guest star than Namor in the last decade. Man-Thing had TWO mini-series in the last decade before this. Namor has had ZERO.

That being said, I genuinely cannot think of another character at Marvel who so sorely needs and deserves an ongoing more than Namor. Not only is he essentially a founding character for the publisher, but he lives in a uniquely unexplored part of the Marvel Universe.
    Exactly!

Creators should be clamouring at the chance to take on a Sub-Mariner series and have almost carte blanche to do anything you want there. Expand and develop an entire world, build nations, enemies, histories and mythos, all with one of the most interesting and charismatic lead characters Marvel has to offer. Namor and his world have almost no baggage, no one has been developing this world for decades and you could pretty much tell any kind of story you could imagine there, from a Game of Thrones style, to John Carter of Mars and Lovecraft (or all at once) I have entire stories and my own head canon worked up in my mind and would kill to do this kind of stuff, I just don't understand why no one at Marvel does. If I were a writer or artist would I really want to work on the X-men or Spider-man for a billionth time? (as much as we love those characters)
    Again, you are so right! Not many creators get the chance to define an iconic character for modern audiences. But I don't think it is the creators, so much as Marvel editorial.

There's just no drive there, on Marvel's end, the creators, or the fanbase. I have no idea why this is. Namor has a small, dedicated fanbase, but the majority of comic fans and certainly the general public, have all but forgotten Namor or know nothing about him to begin with. Marvel is too bust trying to force feed certain characters down the public's throat as well as agenda fighting on Twitter and press releases that they've forgotten why these characters have endured for so long. I'm sure the heads of Marvel see Namor as old or weird and not worth investing in. This attitude creeps into the readers as well and Namor somehow becomes a "hard sell". Namor hasn't existed since the 40's for no reason. The fault of Namor being that hard sell is entirely the fault of Marvel. Invest is getting a great team on Sub-Mariner, leave them there, and let them make readers remember why Namor is one of the greatest characters in comics.
    Preach!

This is entirely Marvel, the editorial / decision makers, fault. And as I've said repeatedly, you only have to look at how much DC has sold to GREAT SUCCESS with both Black Adam and Aquaman, the aquatic movies and independent books, to see Marvel has dropped the ball on Namor. And it WILL take a great creative team with vision AND a time investment to fix the mess they've made with Namor -- something similar to the Brubaker and Epting and company's run on Cap, or Ewing and Bennett on Immortal Hulk. But in the current environment, we won't get anything like that until the MCU decides to use Namor. So sad.

I thought this was going to be a Namor cartoon for a second

lol boy was I wrong
    The J-man

I thought this was going to be a Namor cartoon for a second

lol boy was I wrong

LOL! Yes, it sounds like Namor's arena, environmental issues and dolphin protection.

But given how Marvel treats Namor, I wouldn't be surprised if Brute Force made it to the MCU before Namor. My friend was teasing me about the Armor Wars show and since the comic had Stingray, he said Namor would appear in Season 3 of Stingray's show.